hitch + spare = problem? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

hitch + spare = problem?

Just yesterday i picked up a trailer hitch from Froader, i think it is a Draw-Tite class III. I want to be able to still fit a 32-33" spare underneath though. Anyone know if that is doable? Mountaineergreen, don't you have an oversized spare tire and a hitch? Granted that the hitch doesn't end up being in the way, would anything else be in the way of a spare that big?

Also, i would prefer to install the hitch so that the receiver goes through the bumper right above the step, instead of underneath the bumper. I specifically remember one case where someone did this to haul a barbecue behind the truck. I can't seem to find a thread covering this. Could anyone point me to a thread?

Thanks.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

33 aint going to fit

I have a 30" spare 275/60/17 under my 98 Mountaineer. Fitting a 32" tire would be fairly hard, you would be pushing(beating) the front bracket forward a lot. I had to trim about 3/8" from my trailer hitch for my spare. Good luck,

Yeah I currently have 30's on mine too and it is very tight to get in there, I have to follow a certain assembly procedure or else the thing will not go up there. I think with a 33" you will be doing the roof rack like everyone else or the bumper mount.

Yeah I currently have 30's on mine too and it is very tight to get in there, I have to follow a certain assembly procedure or else the thing will not go up there. I think with a 33" you will be doing the roof rack like everyone else or the bumper mount.

or strapped to those c clips in the cargo area ;)

I already have a 31 underneath and there's no problem getting it in there. When i get my car back from the shop friday i'll check to see how much room there is. I'd say if i go to 33s next, maybe i can stuff a 32 in there if i'm lucky. Any input on the hitch now?

a 33 will not fit, a 31 might not wtih a hitch.....

my stock 235 barely fits and i dont have a hitch... unless you got some really dinky 31s that really werent a 31.......

a hitch will kill a lot of room, you wont have the big open space you once or think you had

doesnt the lip that locates the inside ( part just before axle ) tire edge , just held on by a few rivits to upper frame id say cut off the heads of the rivits an move that lip out to what ya need an bolt or weld it back to the rest of the tire frame bracket ???

The 31 is a BFG MT, its not dinky, its got over 50% tread left, and its almost as big as the 32 ATs on my truck now.

I had a worn 32" under mine for awile, with no hitch though, the other thing is it will hang down pretty far:(

mounty71, obviously you think it will fit, get your hitch and 33s and shut all of the neighsayers up...

then post pictures

I have a 33" spare under mine now, had a 32" spare before. It will fit with the proper hitch, meaning the hitch doesn't protrude into the area where the spare goes. I just bent the forward bracket forward some more- the spare doesn't go all the way up flush under there, but its darn close.

Actually, some of the hitches do protrude into the spare tire area. Make sure you get a hitch that fit with the OEM 16" tires... they dropped down beneath the bumper and left plenty of clearance for the spare. As for fitting a 33, I can't tell you for sure... I defer to the experts.

-Joe

Experts? there are experts here? hmmm... :scratch:

I have a 31" on the stock steel rim. Fits fine with my hitch. My hitch doesn't even come close to the spare.

I just manage a 30" with my Hidden Hitch.

I have a 31'' on a 15x8 spare under mine with a U-haul flush mounted hitch it's a little tight but fits up just as well as the 16'' EB spare did.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Experts? there are experts here? hmmm...

Haha, thats hilarious.

Alright, alright Jimbo, I will see what i can accomplish. I hope i do prove to everyone that it can be done like Mountaineergreen. Knowing my luck though, i am a little skeptical too. Now, is there anyone who can give me a link to that thread with the receiver going through the bumper above the step? Thanks for the input everyone!

Back