hitting animals and insurance | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

hitting animals and insurance

Powerrr

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I had a little accident with a 150 pound Bambi jumping in front of my Explorer. Bad plan:thumbdwn: ! I think I was only driving about 25mph. I’m really sorry for the little guy:( . My grill and headlights are totally ruined. It scared the hell out of me.

I was wondering, did any of you ever had an animal under or over your car? If yes, tell us something about it. What kind of animal and what was the damage? What did you do with the animal afterwards?

By the way, do you guys know a good insurance company? I’m sick of my current one. I heard that Mercury is quite good. Only the site is a little bit strange. This is there site http://www.mercurytheory.com. Can somebody tell me if this is a good insurance?

Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

In my area, the first question from the sheriff dispatcher is " Do you want to keep it?"

Then "was anyone hurt?"

Twice, I said no ( my poor aerostar was totalled after the second) and there were people dressing it out while the deputy took the report, shining his lights on it!!!

I hit a deer a couple years ago in my RIP, 01 Cavalier Z24, I was going 45ish mph, the deer smacked the front end, went up the hood smashed the windshield, up and over... airbags deployed, I was knocked around, car veered off to the right and hit an embankment.... car totalled, deer in pieces, me with friggin airbag burns....

I hate deer.. I dont kill deer for food anymore, although venison jerky is great!
I kill deer because it's like revenge :D: (dont give me the bull$hit about it's not the deers fault either, I dont care.) Unless you are a deer, you have nothing to worry about from me :shoot:

I was following a friend of mine home one night back in Illinois. Dark 2 lane highway that ran right through the forest preserve. All of a sudden I see TONS of shiney wet blood in the road. I'm thinking to myself, hmmm someone hit a.. DEER!!! All of a sudden a deer came out from under my friends Chevy station wagon doing 50MPH!! I BARELY had enough time to manuever out of the way. It just barely clipped the corner of my front end without doing any damage.

My friend was afraid to look under his car for ages:D

I got my car home and told another friend what happened. I showed him little tiny pieces of venison on the windshield... He picked one off and ate it:D:eek:

I got my car home and told another friend what happened. I showed him little tiny pieces of venison on the windshield... He picked one off and ate it:D:eek:

that is awesome, fresh meat I guess.

-Rich

i was doing 45 - 50 mph and a bird swop down in to windsheld highth and bam right in front of the drivers seat spider cracks it happend so fast it scared the s%*t out of me and it sucked to i had to look thought it till i got home and the insurence did not cover it then the moter blowed up be for i got it fixed so now i got my junkyard mounty to drive

I've hit 4 collective deer. two of the most memorable were i was driving down a back road at around 40 and i saw a deer run across the road, and i stupidly watched it cross to make sure it macked it doing 40mph up on to some guys lawn the deers head punched a hole in my grill, and it got caught up under the truck and i popped him.

second one i was driving my girlfriend home, doing like 35 and a deer jumped out from behind a tree, and before i could react i hit him. his head punched a hole in my light same side as the previous one. and i broke it's leg and it was moving about so we called the cops and they shot it.

the others were hit after my desert bar was installed so they kinda just got slapped out of the way.

deer suck

Justin

Hit one about a month ago in a 05 Volvo big rig at 65 mph,killed the hell out of the deer and did about $2000 damage to the truck.:D

I swerved to miss (YES I KNOW-JUST HIT IT) a possum or badger and lost control and hit 3 trees. It deployed the seat/side air bags on my 01 Taurus SEL. The Badger or Possum was mushed. $8,900 in repairs (my insurance co was kind enough to cover and not up my premium since it was my 1st accident)

Don't Swerve Just Brake!

back in 2006 i was driving my 1992 mint conditon honda civic just picked it up that day only 46,433 :).... was driving at night saw a cat from a distance good 100 ft away so i slowed down slightly, saw that he wasn't going to cross and thought nothing of it so i speed up to make the light that was changing from yellow to red. the cat jolted across the street at the last second tried to jump over my car but ended up hitting the corner light, headlight, fender and top of windsheild spider cracking it. ruined corner and headlight and dented fender badly. was doing about 40mph cost me about $500 in damage. amazing how a 20lb cat can do so much damage??::mad:: :mad: i guess its like a small projectile. thats y i bought 2 trucks since then so i can just mow these suckers down.(no offense to cat lovers i have a cat myself-i just like my car better)

snowdeer-vi.jpg

me and my wife have had 5 deer "issues" total with our stock '01 explorer eddie bauer.
1st deer: 8 point buck @ 60 mph. $3600 damage (didn't repair, still drove fine and.. i did)
2nd deer: DOE hit EXPLORER in the driver's door
3rd deer: 10 point buck @70 mph. was nothing but a big poof of hair in the rearview mirror
4th & 5th deer: @ 40 mph. one 20 ft. after the other.

she still ran and drove fine... bless her heart. lol

In my shop now gettin all fixed up. And doing the upper/lower balljoints, inner/outter tie rods, swaybar links, shock, etc. Also have a BBP Fab bumper with a brush gaurd style on top of his original bumper... further customized by me and Potsy.

We caught a Coyote at 80mph in the Neon. I "think" luckily it was the neon as the neon was lifted 2". We caught it hard on the bumper and it went under..

It broke the radiator, and made a mess under the car. The car stalled about 2 miles later (right at our freeway exit) and like an idiot I tried to bump start it as I was still going 40 mph or so.. in 1st gear. needless to say, the clutch went boom.

When I brought it in for the clutch the shop owners wife (old neighbor) was picking coyote parts out from under the car for a while. It made a big mess.

Since that vehicle I've hit a few rabbits (cotton tail), a couple Jack Rabits, a few rattlesnakes and Yolanda hit a Bird (small) on the winshield of the mustang and I have hit a turkey vulture with the windshield (the don't take off as fast as you think they will) of the honda.

Ahh, the Joys of living in the boonies..

oh yea, so far we have been lucky.. We haven't hit a live skunk yet (just dead ones) or a deer. We have had to hit the brakes hard a few times for them, but so far so good..

~Mark

Yea me and my wife were driving our new car not even a month old. We were coming around a corner and a seen a glimpse of a buck coming at us from the field. I hit the brakes and stopped maybe a foot from him. It must of scared the crap out of him. He reared up in front of my car and sat on our hood leaving a deer butt depression on it. All in all pretty funny. Especially trying to report it to the insurance rep.

As far as Insurance i have used nationwide for over 16 yrs and have always had great service.

First the insurance question. I currently use Texas Farm Bureau. The rates are great and the customer service is really great. I used State Farm before that. I like them as well, but the wife used TFB and their insurance plans were cheaper.

Now for the road kill. I have never had any road animal damage. I did pull up to a doe on the road one time and slap her on the rear. Other then that not much else. Now the wife blew the front end of her truck up with a big buck. Unfortunately the buck got away.

We've hit 4 deer, a turkey, duck(it didn't) several rabbits and countless birds. Life in the country.

Kill List

We caught a Coyote at 80mph in the Neon. I "think" luckily it was the neon as the neon was lifted 2". We caught it hard on the bumper and it went under..

It broke the radiator, and made a mess under the car. The car stalled about 2 miles later (right at our freeway exit) and like an idiot I tried to bump start it as I was still going 40 mph or so.. in 1st gear. needless to say, the clutch went boom.

When I brought it in for the clutch the shop owners wife (old neighbor) was picking coyote parts out from under the car for a while. It made a big mess.

Since that vehicle I've hit a few rabbits (cotton tail), a couple Jack Rabits, a few rattlesnakes and Yolanda hit a Bird (small) on the winshield of the mustang and I have hit a turkey vulture with the windshield (the don't take off as fast as you think they will) of the honda.

oh yea, so far we have been lucky.. We haven't hit a live skunk yet (just dead ones) or a deer. We have had to hit the brakes hard a few times for them, but so far so good..

~Mark

Impressive kill list. I like the way you very the species and not just stick to deer.

Damage pictures should be included. I have posted these before but this thread deserves a re-post of what I did to my brothers car.

Windshield guy patching it up.

Car2-vi.jpg

Car1-vi.jpg

This was two years ago, I'm still gun shy driving on those roads up north.

Not counting the windshield that was over twelve grand of damage. Insurance payed every penny. Falls under comprehensive so no deductible. The guy that is changing the glass told me he hit five at once in 07 on the same road.

Scared the living crud out of me. I was picking glass out of my skin for days.

Drive slow up north,
Bob

I was following my buddy who was driving his spare car, which is an old beater neon and he hit a deer. None of the gauges work in the neon, so by my estimate and looking at my gauge when it happened he was doing about 35mph. The neon took it like a champ. Not even a scratch. Only damage was the shock broke the filament in the marker light bulb.

The funny part was he swerved towards one as a joke, and as he swerved back to his side of the lane a second one jumped out. It was quite the scene to watch unfold.

~Mark
Yea living in the boonies always brings nice surprises. I got back from a week long vacation and went to start my thunderbird. Heard a few loud clunks, start driving and kept hearing clunks and could feel it through the shifter. I take a quick look under the car and don't see anything. Start it up again and everything is fine.

A week later the car smelled like dead body. I noticed flies congregating under the car so I took another look. Lo and behold a paw hanging down from the drive shaft. I had to take a power washer to remove the possum because it was so rotten that anything I touched it with just went right through it.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

had a 92 tbird that ate two deer in the same day, one on my way to work at 55 mph, thump, broke the right headlamp, few dents, took out the side marker, on my way home at about 50 i swear to God God himself dropped this thing, thump, broke left headlamp, more dents, cracked windsheild, other sidemarker busted. We called her the battleaxe kuz she still drove, downside? Driving around with highbeams on to see because both the headlight housings were crooked and having bulbs sticking out for the sidemarkers.

Back