Hood Deflector | Page 5 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Hood Deflector

Can't Close Hood

I'm surprised that more owners haven't "chimed in" with respect to the latch fix? I'm wondering if my vehicle is the execption and not the rule? I don't think that the police interceptor would be "different" from the regular base model or the XLR, or sport.

I purchased the Weather Tech and after following the install to the letter, I cannot secure the hood. Does not latch. Has anyone figured this out? It appears you would have to adjust the latch up but I cannot believe you would have to go through all that.
Any clues would help.
Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Anyone install the Ford Hood Deflector on their Ex.

1, Did you have to drill any holes?
2, Pics of the final look.

Any input would be appreciated debating on installing on a Silver Ex and possibly having it painted silver to match better.

DSC_2677.jpg

No drill.

BM

I purchased the Weather Tech and after following the install to the letter, I cannot secure the hood. Does not latch. Has anyone figured this out? It appears you would have to adjust the latch up but I cannot believe you would have to go through all that.
Any clues would help.
Thanks
Welcome to the Forum rabraz.:wavey:
Did you read posts 39 and 41 in this thread? Another member had an issue and it was resolved.

Peter

Weather Tech Bug Shield

I went back and read both 39 and 41 and did not see a solution to my problem of not being able to close and latch the hood with the Weather Tech bug shield. It appears you would almost have to adjust the latch up to allow for the difference of the shield thickness and that just does not make sense.

Just installed my AVS bug deflector. Bolts to bottom of hood, no clips. Had the same issue of hood not closing. Simple fix. Loosened the latch and moved upward but still would not shut. Then I added some washers behind the latch reciever and it shut.

736FC5E8-90FF-400A-B44A-CBB5F940A90A_zpst7aikwng.jpg

A2E83B4D-EDC8-43FE-9A4A-4F2133250785_zpsqhnvemp7.jpg

051B36AD-83F5-43D6-A8D9-21DBD1D720AE_zpsgdhj6t48.jpg

I'm thinking some "EXPLORER" lettering across it would look cool. Anyone have a link to a decal?

Bill

Just installed my AVS bug deflector. Bolts to bottom of hood, no clips. Had the same issue of hood not closing. Simple fix. Loosened the latch and moved upward but still would not shut. Then I added some washers behind the latch reciever and it shut.

736FC5E8-90FF-400A-B44A-CBB5F940A90A_zpst7aikwng.jpg

A2E83B4D-EDC8-43FE-9A4A-4F2133250785_zpsqhnvemp7.jpg

051B36AD-83F5-43D6-A8D9-21DBD1D720AE_zpsgdhj6t48.jpg

I'm thinking some "EXPLORER" lettering across it would look cool. Anyone have a link to a decal?

Bill
Looks great and I hope it works really well for you.

Question: what do you do about car washes? Do you take it off or just avoid car washes all together and hand wash?

What about in the winter? Does it hold up well in freezing temperatures? Any winter issues?

Question: what do you do about car washes? Do you take it off or just avoid car washes all together and hand wash?

What about in the winter? Does it hold up well in freezing temperatures? Any winter issues?

I had one on my Grand Cherokee for 5+ years. I went through car washes with it on, and never had a problem.

Had them on my Highlanders. Never used a car wash but no issues at all in Winter except that it isn't always easy to brush all the snow from underneath it. I found it did somewhat lessen the mess the suicidal insects tend to make.

Peter

I used a Clear deflector as I wanted the explorer to show and for a particular look. Most people don't even know it is on there. I also have the Remote access Unit and Love it.
Expl sport.jpg

I used a Clear deflector as I wanted the explorer to show and for a particular look. Most people don't even know it is on there. I also have the Remote access Unit and Love it.
Very nice. I had to look a second time to see the defector after wondering why you posted the picture. Just wondering if it will discolour over time.

Peter

thanks gents... that's what I thought.... especially regarding the snow removal.... peterk9... agree with not using car washes.... very rarely used them my whole life.... usually washed by hand , but now with a truck more likely to pull into one of those self wash places....
Expoman55..... that looks really good... had to look really closely on my iPhone.... I've ordered a white 2017 limited and was thinking about adding the lettering and 3m clear shield or as I now have seen on yours possibly a clear rigid bug shield over the lettering ..... oh so many ways to spend that money ... thanks for the ideas.

I used a Clear deflector as I wanted the explorer to show and for a particular look. Most people don't even know it is on there. I also have the Remote access Unit and Love it. View attachment 95365
Just wondering what brand is your clear rigid bug shield?
And, how do you like the side window deflectors and what brand are they?

Anyone install the Ford Hood Deflector on their Ex.

1, Did you have to drill any holes?
2, Pics of the final look.

Any input would be appreciated debating on installing on a Silver Ex and possibly having it painted silver to match better.[/QUOTE

I don't know if this helps anymore but mine is from Ford. Ford Dealer wanted $150 to install it. I said no thanks and took it to a garage that has been working on my cars for 8 years now (Car1 Auto/Goodyear in Barrington, IL) and they did it for free. Took them 15 minutes. No holes.

fullsizeoutput_2a19.jpeg

Looks great!! Any issues with car washes or ice and snow in the winter... if you get that wherever you are

Not at all. I'm 20 miles west just outside of Chicago. I travel 9 states (in sales) for a living and I haven't had any problems at all. Bug deflector works great and is holding up very well. I've had it on for about a year now. I purchased my EXP in February 2016 and installed it a month later.

I have had mine on which I think is a Weston for almost 2 years and it hasnt yellowed or faded.. I don't ever do touch car washes other than by hand wash. I can tell you there is not a chip or nick in my hood thanks to it and as i said it is invisible for the most part.. took nothing from the truck and only in my opinion added to it. FYI no drilling only used existing holes under hood with double stick 3m material and also some push in plastic rivets. NO complaints.

thanks gents... that's what I thought.... especially regarding the snow removal.... peterk9... agree with not using car washes.... very rarely used them my whole life.... usually washed by hand , but now with a truck more likely to pull into one of those self wash places....
Expoman55..... that looks really good... had to look really closely on my iPhone.... I've ordered a white 2017 limited and was thinking about adding the lettering and 3m clear shield or as I now have seen on yours possibly a clear rigid bug shield over the lettering ..... oh so many ways to spend that money ... thanks for the ideas.

Here is another image of my ride. I have AVS vents over the sides and they work great especially in those storms where you need a littl more flow through ventilation to keep the windows clear and want the rain out.. same for the hot summer days.

Candidly I am extremely happy with all the accessories I have put on: Ford OEM flaps( no drill),AVS side vents, Weston front deflector. OEM bed liner, Flip down cover over the power seat controls in back to prevent accidental use, wired in Radar detector to mirror.

IMG_6331.JPG

I have had mine on which I think is a Weston for almost 2 years and it hasnt yellowed or faded.. I don't ever do touch car washes other than by hand wash. I can tell you there is not a chip or nick in my hood thanks to it and as i said it is invisible for the most part.. took nothing from the truck and only in my opinion added to it. FYI no drilling only used existing holes under hood with double stick 3m material and also some push in plastic rivets. NO complaints.

I just went looking for it, the westin 72-96151, and all of the reviews say that there's a problem with the hole on the left side being wrong. People have had to either drill a new hole in the deflector, or have broken it trying to get it installed. That's across multiple sites, with reviews from 2013-2016. Did you have any issues?

Well Jon,

Mine is on... undrilled, unbroken ..and NO problem.. Cant tell ya about a problem

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Well Jon,

Mine is on... undrilled, unbroken ..and NO problem.. Cant tell ya about a problem

When you have a chance, if it's still on there, can you confirm the part # on your bug shield, please? I ordered the one they list for the 2011-15 Explorer, and definitely does not fit. I emailed them about it, but I'm wondering if it's a matter of a typo in the fit guide or if they're doing something wrong in the manufacturing process now. It would take me at least an hour with a heat gun, and probably longer screws than they sent to attach it.

IMG_20170310_110339.jpg

IMG_20170310_110406.jpg

IMG_20170310_110623.jpg

Back