1. for access to Ford Explorer and Ranger owner generated reviews and discussion, tech tips, how to articles, off-road modifications, events, and more! Since 1996 we have been the #1 Ford Explorer resource on the Internet. We also cover the Explorer Sport Trac, Mercury Mountaineer, Lincoln Navigator, Mazda Navajo, Mazda Pickups, and the Aerostar.

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

Hood Latch Stuck

Discussion in 'Stock 1995 - 2001 Explorers' started by Lazzman, December 19, 2009.

• Searches ExplorerForum.com
    1. Lazzman

Lazzman Well-Known Member

City, State:
      Massachusetts
      Year and Model:
      1998 Sport 4wd- V6 Sohc
      I replaced the little rubber hood bumpers on my truck a year ago and at that time decided to, for some stupid reason take of the hood latch mechanism and then re-install it.

Ever since that time I have had trouble opening the hood, it has remained on many occasions jammed shut and will not pop up into the semi locked position. I can figure that I put the latch back not in the exact position it was in originally.

Well now I have done it good, the battery needs to be replaced and I cannot get the hood open.

I remember when this happened before, someone on the board told me that there is a manual latch that can be accessed from the grill area with a screw driver and it will take the tension off the spring latch and allow the hood to open, hoping someone knows how to do this so I can open the hood.

Also the excessive tension on the hood latch spring would indicate that the latch has too much force on it and needs to be adjusted, but would I need to move the latch assembly up or down to relieve some of this tension?

Thanks very much for the help.

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 a year

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose and fix problems yourself, and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, add your own profile photo, upload photo attachments directly to your posts and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

to hide adverts.
    3. my98nnj

my98nnj Well-Known Member

City, State:
      Boonton, New Jersey
      Year and Model:
      1998 XLT
      Have somebody push down while you pull the release. That should get it open if indeed it's adjusted to tight.

4. robertoa1a

robertoa1a Active Member

City, State:
      Jacksonville, FL
      Year and Model:
      96 5.0 xlt 2wd white/char
      I had to reach in the right hand side of the grill and push the cable out of the slot then pull on it.

5. Lazzman

Lazzman Well-Known Member

City, State:
      Massachusetts
      Year and Model:
      1998 Sport 4wd- V6 Sohc
      Thanks.

I am going to give this a try.

We are supposed to get slammed with snow tonight and I need the truck up and running for the morining.

Thanks again :D