and gain access to Reviews and Discussion of the 2016 and 2017 Ford Explorer Tech Tips, How to Articles, Off-Road Modifications and Events, Street Truck Mods and Events, and much more! Since 1996 our community has covered every aspect of the Ford Explorer, Ford Ranger and all vehicles based on this platform.

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

Hood Paint bubble issue only

Discussion in 'Stock 2011 - 2017 Ford Explorer Discussion' started by wilsor, August 29, 2011.

• Searches ExplorerForum.com
    1. wilsor

wilsor New Member

City, State:
      Port Barrington, IL
      Year and Model:
      2012 Limited
      I just took delivery of my 2012 Explorer on Friday and was looking for advice about a tiny paint bubble on the hood about 1mm in size. It's not noticable unless you get right up on it, but I'm wondering if this is something I should be concerned about. The dealership took pictures of it and said they'd fix it, but it would involve claying the bubble off and re-clear coating the spot. My concern is messing with the factory paint... Should I have them fix it or live with it? It doesn't bother me, I just don't want to increase the likelyhood for rust. Chances are, I wouldn't still own the vehicle once the paint warranty expires after 100,000 miles.

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 a year

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose and fix problems yourself, and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, add your own profile photo, upload photo attachments directly to your posts and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

to hide adverts.
    3. TIO M

TIO M Active Member

City, State:
      Copperas Cove, Texas
      Year and Model:
      2011 LTD X/Platinum 4wd
      I'd fix it, what will you do when the paint gets hit by a tiny rock and chips the paint away? Then you'll be back at square one. Just my 2 cents, but I'd have them order me a new hood from factory, but then again no gurantees on a 100% paint match but better than having some local body shop mix the paint. I'd push for a new painted hood from factory it would be worth the wait.

4. M1911A1

M1911A1 Member

City, State:
      MICHIGAN
      Year and Model:
      2004 explorer xlt
      I would let the dealer fix it. If it "bubled" it means there isn't adhesion of paint to metal and it WILL rust. If your dealer is not capable of restoring a 1m.m. chip of paint to like new condition, on the hood of a car. Then we might as well close this country OUT OF BUSINESS.

5. VinceL

VinceL Well-Known Member

City, State:
      Frisco, TX
      Year and Model:
      2013 Explorer Limited
      As far as rust on the hood, aren't the hoods aluminum on the new Explorer?

6. mountaineerbeast

mountaineerbeast Active Member

City, State:
      Socorro, NM
      Year and Model:
      97 Mountaineer
      I'd be pissed when considering how much these newer fords cost.

7. NEWPORTNJ

NEWPORTNJ Active Member

City, State:
      JERSEY CITY
      Year and Model:
      2014 TUXEDO BLK LTD 302A
      Its an easy fix they will just sand it down with emery cloth and then buff it and then use clear coat and sand again then buff it no biggie !!! Trust me i'm very **** with my car's !!!

8. K1200rsport

K1200rsport Active Member

City, State:
      Greenville, SC
      Year and Model:
      2011 Ford Explorer
      Got few of them on sides, atleast see 2 on driver side rear door

9. mountaineerbeast

mountaineerbeast Active Member

City, State:
      Socorro, NM
      Year and Model:
      97 Mountaineer
      Well...
      Hopefully they fix all these problems for the 2012 model year.

10. boss377

boss377 Elite Explorer

City, State:
      Annandale, Virginia
      Year and Model:
      2011 Limited
      Compared to what? Sorry, but I've heard that refrain too many times. The new Explorer is a mid-priced vehicle, and you are getting a very good product even compared to the Audis that cost 20% more.

11. K1200rsport

K1200rsport Active Member

City, State:
      Greenville, SC
      Year and Model:
      2011 Ford Explorer
      I really don't care much about 2 small pain bubbles, you'll have lot more dings on it in next 6 months anyways.

12. JH2011

JH2011 New Member

City, State:
      Montville, NJ
      Year and Model:
      2011 Explorer Limited
      Issue with Paint on the Hood

2011 Limited with 17,000 miles. Have been posting on the wind noise, A-pillar side of this forum (just fixed for the second time) and had to mention the latest issue. Noticed a small bubble under the paint at the front edge of the hood. Not a stone chip, not a scratch but the paint bubbling up. Opened the hood and the same bubbling was all along the front and down the sides along the seam under the hood, even under the gasket. Brought it in to the dealer right away. The took pictures, sent them to Ford, got immediate clearance to do the repair and two days later my hood was completely repainted.

It looks good, service was excellent but not happy that this needed to be done. Good thing it happened during warranty. Keep an eye out for this... I can't imagine I will be the only one.

13. Justyman87

Justyman87 2011 Ford Explorer Owner! Elite Explorer

City, State:
      New York
      Year and Model:
      2011 Explorer Limited
      I don’t understand how so many people with 2011 Ford Explorers are having so many issues. I have one and haven’t had any of the issues posted. I don’t hear that much noise when on the parkway… it’s a car and wind you should hear noise no? I did smell the smell when hard acceleration and I probably should have brought that up yesterday. I had no huge issues with my MFT and I have the first generation Explorer! I am really going to do a full around check today of my car and see if I find these issues write them down and tell them to the dealer. I really don’t expect to find anything though because I haven’t had an issue and absolutely love the car. I almost feel left out when things like this don’t happen to me! LOL :)
      - Justin

14. cbx1047

cbx1047 Active Member

City, State:
      waikesha, wisconsin
      Year and Model:
      2015 limited
      Noticed the paint on my 2011 black limited is blistering along the front edge of hood. Checked under hood and the blistering continues. I have a list of TSB's to be looked at and repaired this summer, I sure hope they can match the paint. I had my power steering replaced this fall and was in dealership for a month. No cost out of my pocket but this is getting old. I wonder if Ford will do anything for those of us that have had so many problems with their Explorers?

15. FordService

FordService Official Ford Rep

City, State:
      Dearborn, MI
      Year and Model:
      Hi cbx1047,

I recommend bringing your Explorer to your dealership so these issues can be promptly addressed. I can look into ways to assist as well; send me a PM with your info (VIN, dealer, mileage, daytime phone number, and full name) and I'll do some research.

Crystal

16. papel_ace

papel_ace New Member

City, State:
      Ponce, PR
      Year and Model:
      2011 Base Model
      Hi, I noticed the same blisters on my 2011 explorer hood. But that will be cover by a paint warranty? Mine has 41,800 miles.

17. 1995E

1995E Elite Explorer

City, State:
      Maryland
      Year and Model:
      95 + 11 Ex both XLT
      Well, I've driven in New York numerous times and you don't get up to highway speeds to where you'd hear the wind noises. If you've done any road trips, and you're going down the highway at like 65 - 70MPH, you will hear the A-Pillar rattle. Especially on a windy day. Maybe not the first time, not the second time, but once it gets loose from the wind, you will hear it.

For the SYNC, have you used the voice commands extensively? Once in a while, the system can flop on you. It's good to hear a 2011 not having any issues. Wish I had that 2011 lol!

18. Bill #5 Explorer

Bill #5 Explorer Elite Explorer

City, State:
      Chicago Area
      Year and Model:
      2016 Explorer XLT
      Hood Paint Problem

Was there ever a TSB or "recall" about the new Explorer's hood paint? I remember seeing something, but now I can't find it. Thanks!

19. FordService

City, State:
      Dearborn, MI
      Year and Model:
      Hi there,

Your dealership's service manager will be able to fill you in on any related service actions. Additionally, you can enter your VIN and check for any active recalls for your vehicle here: http://owner.ford.com/servlet/ContentServer?pagename=Owner/Page/RecallsPage

Crystal

20. peterk9

peterk9 Staff Member Moderator Elite Explorer

City, State:
      Ottawa, Ontario area
      Year and Model:
      2014 Lincoln MKT AWD
      I don't recall seeing any TSB for 'Hood Paint' Bill.

Peter

21. Bill #5 Explorer

Bill #5 Explorer Elite Explorer

City, State:
      Chicago Area
      Year and Model:
      2016 Explorer XLT
      Thanks Crystal and Peter.:)

22. cbx1047

cbx1047 Active Member

City, State:
      waikesha, wisconsin
      Year and Model:
      2015 limited
      My 2011 black limited has blistering all across the leading edge of hood. (About an inch up on to the hood) There are 27000 miles on it now, and I know the dealership will paint it under warranty but I also know it will not be a perfect match. Has anyone received an extended paint warranty after a similar situation?Any suggestions on what to do with this X?

23. FordService

City, State:
      Dearborn, MI
      Year and Model:
      You're welcome, Bill #4 Explorer! :)

Hi cbx1047,

I recommend making an appointment at your dealership so they can get this documented and inspected. Keep in touch with me following your appointment and let me know how things go; I'll be happy to step in and assist if needed. :D

Crystal

24. dewy-pgh

dewy-pgh New Member

City, State:
      Pittsburgh PA
      Year and Model:
      2011 Limited 4WD
      front of hood repainted - blistering

I have 33,000 miles on my Dark Blue 2011 limited and the body shop got approval from Ford to repaint the section that was bad, I don't think they did the whole hood. They are fixing the paint at the bottom of the doors this week where it hits the plastic.

25. peterk9

peterk9 Staff Member Moderator Elite Explorer

City, State:
      Ottawa, Ontario area
      Year and Model:
      2014 Lincoln MKT AWD
      If they only did the front part of the hood any you can't tell by looking at it then they either did a very good job or they did the entire hood. As long as you're happy with it, that's all that counts. I would guess that the bottom edges of the doors will likely be back to what they were before painting if nothing else was done in the way of adjustments etc. Assuming it was due to rubbing. BTW, the bottom edge of the door closes up against a rubber strip. It should not contact any plastic. Good luck.

Peter

26. NEWPORTNJ

NEWPORTNJ Active Member

City, State:
      JERSEY CITY
      Year and Model:
      2014 TUXEDO BLK LTD 302A
      Some times they do what is called blending they paint the affected area with the paint and then they clear coat the rest and it will look perfect..!