List of Useful Threads - Hood Paint bubble issue only | Page 25 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

List of Useful Threads Hood Paint bubble issue only

Good to hear! What was the time from 80,000 miles to 153,000 miles to see how long it held up? Ford is holding firm all they will warranty is a refinishing, not a new hood.

Tricia - already have a case open, 30,000 miles. Your peer Crystal on F150Ecoboost had that going for me.

Thanks!

2 years.

You don't need a new hood. Just a repaint. Good as new, in fact better.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

If they fail to do do either I will probably hire a lawyer to get my money back and never own another Ford for as long as I live. I'm giving Ford a chance to make this right by giving me a replacement vehicle. The ball is in their court...

You will not get a replacement vehicle. And as soon as you "lawyer-up" your process with Ford will take a drastically different course.

Have you ever hired a lawyer before? In this case, you will NEVER get your money back. It will only delay the process and cost you more (time & money) in the long run. Now, if you have a lawyer willing to work for you for free, more power to you. Good luck.

Dent in the door? How big? How'd it get there? You bought/accepted the Explorer with a dent in the door? If you bought the truck, drove home, and found a dent in your door, why would Ford assume warranty repairs? After you left the dealership how would they know how you got the door dented? If it's just a door ding, that can be fixed with great results for about $85 with a good PDR guy.

You will not get a replacement vehicle. And as soon as you "lawyer-up" your process with Ford will take a drastically different course.

Have you ever hired a lawyer before? In this case, you will NEVER get your money back. It will only delay the process and cost you more (time & money) in the long run. Now, if you have a lawyer willing to work for you for free, more power to you. Good luck.

Dent in the door? How big? How'd it get there? You bought/accepted the Explorer with a dent in the door? If you bought the truck, drove home, and found a dent in your door, why would Ford assume warranty repairs? After you left the dealership how would they know how you got the door dented? If it's just a door ding, that can be fixed with great results for about $85 with a good PDR guy.

I am giving them a chance to give a replacement or my money back by going through the BBB, as is stated above, before going with a lawyer.

A lawyer is not an issue for me. Thank you for your concern.

The dent is in the edge of the door, and could of only been done prior to or during installation. With a black vehicle it is hard to see and was not observed by me or the dealer until I got it home. Ford has acknowledged the dent could not have been done by me or transport. Ford has advised the door can not be fixed by PDR.

Again, thank you for your concern but I'm all over it. Just trying to make sure everyone is aware of Fords horrible quality control so they can be sure to look over the vehicle with a microscope prior to signing anything. My case proves Ford would care less about their QC and taking care of the customer after the sale. A customer should not have to go to the BBB to get the company to take note of them.

I agree. QC cab be an issue but from what I found, they'll fix out. When you build 1,000 F-150s a day at two plants, you can't slow down.

My dealer hasn't failed me yet so might as well let them refinish it and if it comes back I'll be prepared if they put up a fight.

I have a 2013 Limited that has a few bubbles on the leading edges of the hood. It also has strange bubbles on a passenger side rear door. I took it into the Dealer at around 44,000 miles and they said paint was only covered up to 36,000 miles. Ford Service was fully aware of the issues with the paint, and said "too bad it wasn't brought in earlier". Really? It seems that Ford has a paint issue with these Explorers...

I don't have the money to repair the hood properly. Has anyone tried covering the bare patches of aluminum with touch up paint? Will it stick?

If enough people have this problem, and Ford doesn't step up and fix it, then some class action lawyer will wind up taking on the cause. Considering the small sampling that visit these forums, I am certain that the picture is a much bigger one. I could understand if these defects were to happen after many years of service, but on a 2013, I don't believe that is acceptable under any circumstances.

2013 Ford Explorer peeling paint

I have a 2013 Explorer. The paint around the edge of the hood started bubbling up and has peeled off. Took the car to my dealer and they won't fix it. Said that the warranty says that they will only fix it if there is a hole completely through the hood! Called Ford Customer Service and they said they can't do anything either. Apparently the hood has to be replaced because it is aluminum and can't be repainted. Very upset that Ford isn't standing behind their product. Not to mention that this is the 3rd brand new car I have bought from my dealer and they aren't willing to help either. So it looks like I will either drive around a 2013 peeling Explorer or become a Chevy girl!! Anyone else having problems with this?

I have a 2013 Explorer. The paint around the edge of the hood started bubbling up and has peeled off. Took the car to my dealer and they won't fix it. Said that the warranty says that they will only fix it if there is a hole completely through the hood! Called Ford Customer Service and they said they can't do anything either. Apparently the hood has to be replaced because it is aluminum and can't be repainted. Very upset that Ford isn't standing behind their product. Not to mention that this is the 3rd brand new car I have bought from my dealer and they aren't willing to help either. So it looks like I will either drive around a 2013 peeling Explorer or become a Chevy girl!! Anyone else having problems with this?
Welcome to the Forum.:wavey:
There are members who have had the hood repainted as mentioned in this thread. Unfortunately many have had the problem appear again. As for your question, "Anyone else having problems with this?". The whole thread is about that.

Peter

Are you over your 3yr/36,000 mile bumper to bumper? If not, paint is covered for 3years, 36,000 miles. After that, it is on the customer.

As far as the comment about a hole through the hood, that is your rust warranty and it does require a hole (perforated) completely through for any type of rust to be covered (longer warranty then your 3yr/36k bumper to bumper). This is pretty standard in the industry, not just to Ford in regards to requiring a hole.

Are you over your 3yr/36,000 mile bumper to bumper? If not, paint is covered for 3years, 36,000 miles. After that, it is on the customer.

As far as the comment about a hole through the hood, that is your rust warranty and it does require a hole (perforated) completely through for any type of rust to be covered (longer warranty then your 3yr/36k bumper to bumper). This is pretty standard in the industry, not just to Ford in regards to requiring a hole.

However, having paint on hoods bubble on 1-3 year old vehicles is not standard for the industry. 8-10 years out I can see, but this is simply shoddy work by Ford where people like me and many others have had to take a big financial hit to fix Ford's manufacturing defect when it is first found out of warranty.

The bubbling tends to start under the hood lip above the rubber grommet. I suggest anyone getting close to the 3/36 expiring check under there for bubbling starting. If you see it, demand a new hood under warranty.

Let me send you a photo of our 2012 Dodge Caravan with bubbles on the front hood lip, its just not Ford. I suspect the process for painting aluminum is the same for most of the manufacturers.

You need to contact Ford Corporate - not customer service. Private Message a Ford Rep on this forum or on Facebook about the bubbling paint issue. They are well aware of the corrosion issue due to them using aluminum hood mounted to a steel body. Ford Corp did pay 60% of my replacement hood which left me with approximately $900 to pay on the $2300 estimate. After *****ing to my dealer they knocked my bill down to $600 my cost for hood replacement. This was just recently paid for by Ford corporate (nov 2015) on my 2012 Exploder - that was also outside of the 3/36 warranty. My dealer NEVER wants to concede to paying for anything out of any sense of obligation. You have to get corporate involved, have them set up a case # for you & to contact your dealer directly. They will want you to bring the vehicle into the dealer to assess it. Also, someone else mentioned on this forum when you get your replacement hood - make sure you take the old one with you for scrap or try to sell it yourself used. I could have scrapped mine for a couple hundred bucks to help with the repair bill. (This is where I messaged Ford on Facebook - it used to be Explorer's Ford site but now has changed to this one >> https://www.facebook.com/FordServiceUS/

Just to clarify, the bubbling has nothing to do with an aluminum hood being on a steel body. If that was the case, every 5th gen Explorer and Lincoln MKT would have the same issue. Not sure if other Lincolns have the same setup but the MKT is the only one I'm familiar with.

Peter

Just to clarify, the bubbling has nothing to do with an aluminum hood being on a steel body. If that was the case, every 5th gen Explorer and Lincoln MKT would have the same issue. Not sure if other Lincolns have the same setup but the MKT is the only one I'm familiar with.

Peter

I think you are wrong Peter, it has everything to do with aluminum hood being on steel body due to different potentials of two different metals and it does initiate a galvanic corrosion if aluminum is not protected by coating properly!

I think you are wrong Peter, it has everything to do with aluminum hood being on steel body due to different potentials of two different metals and it does initiate a galvanic corrosion if aluminum is not protected by coating properly!
If the two metals were joined and unprotected then, yes, it is possible. But the hood is not joined with the steel, unless you count the latch and then the hinges would also be of concern but there haven't been any reports of problems in that area. The two metals are also insulated by the undercoating and paint. My Explorer didn't show any signs of corrosion and so far neither has the MKT. I have linked an interesting article.

http://aluminumsurface.blogspot.ca/2009/04/corrosion-between-anodized-aluminum-and.html

Peter

As Peter stated, it has nothing to do with aluminum vs steel. the hood is 100% aluminum except for the latch and hinges. There are no issues with that in regards to the bubbles. The bubbles are starting near the seam of the front of the hood which again is all aluminum. The issue is contamination of the hood prior to painting so something is going on at random times throughout the painting process which is why a new hood is required once contaminated.

Took my vehicle in to the dealership a couple of weeks ago.

Body manager looked at it and took pictures. Then he says "I'll submit to Ford, you will probably get a new hood."

Called today and Ford has approved and new hood has been ordered.

I thought I was gonna have to fight to get a new hood. Another good thing is the dealer says they will honor their lifetime guarantee on the paint even though it was a warranty job.

Took my vehicle in to the dealership a couple of weeks ago.

Body manager looked at it and took pictures. Then he says "I'll submit to Ford, you will probably get a new hood."

Called today and Ford has approved and new hood has been ordered.

I thought I was gonna have to fight to get a new hood. Another good thing is the dealer says they will honor their lifetime guarantee on the paint even though it was a warranty job.

Wow. You are fortunate. Are you under 3/36? Every other dealer out there is stating unless perforated, paint/corrosion is not covered.

I had $500 out of pocket for new hood and a poster just above said he worked it down to $600, so you saved a chunk of change. Great dealer.

I'm still peeved at Ford corporate for trying to shame me for being upset at having to pay at all when they said they did not have pick up anything (off warranty) on what is obviously a manufacturing defect that is quite common and that should never happen.

My Ex only had 32k on it and was just short of 4 years old when I first noticed the bubbling under the hood lip that no doubt started some time sooner. Unacceptable.

Wow. You are fortunate. Are you under 3/36? Every other dealer out there is stating unless perforated, paint/corrosion is not covered.

I had $500 out of pocket for new hood and a poster just above said he worked it down to $600, so you saved a chunk of change. Great dealer.

I'm still peeved at Ford corporate for trying to shame me for being upset at having to pay at all when they said they did not have pick up anything (off warranty) on what is obviously a manufacturing defect that is quite common and that should never happen.

My Ex only had 32k on it and was just short of 4 years old when I first noticed the bubbling under the hood lip that no doubt started some time sooner. Unacceptable.

Yeah I still have a month and half left (only have 24k miles right now)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Yeah I still have a month and half left (only have 24k miles right now)

Fortunate. Everybody that is nearing end of 3/36 should check the lip on the underside of the hood for paint bubbles and get it to the dealer ASAP if present.

They tend to start on the underside of the lip where you have to pull back that black rubber grommet to see them.

Even if off warranty, check to see if you have something to deal with.

Back