List of Useful Threads - Hood Paint bubble issue only | Page 26 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

List of Useful Threads Hood Paint bubble issue only

Just adding my Explorer to the list with this problem... '11 Ltd AWD with paint bubbling and coming off all along the leading edge of the hood. VERY disappointing.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The dealer ended up repainting mine and charged me $350 to do it. I know that in a couple years it will peel again. They said there paint job is guaranteed and if it happens again they will repaint. Still not completely happy but I didn't want to drive around in a peeling car. I will probably trade it in before it has time to happen again. I still feel Ford should have replaced the hood.

Similar to other posts, my black Ford Explorer has significant bubbling paint along the front edge of the hood. When first pointed out to the dealership the car I believe had around 55,000 miles; it has around 69,000 now. The first technician that looked at it stated that the problem was well known and the warranty would only cover it if the paint began to chip off. This recently began to happen and we when we returned to the dealership we were informed that this was not a known problem, and that the hood has to actually rust all the way through before it is covered. So, they were either lying before or are lying now. I assume that it is simply not covered. However, the body repair department is happy to repaint it at standard costs!

This is all too bad. Clearly this is a defect in the vehicle. I was looking to trade it in for a new Explorer, but given this circumstances I would never buy another Ford. The paint problem is one thing (or based on earlier comments in this thread, the aluminum corrosion beneath the paint). The lying and/or lack of knowledge are both troubling in different ways. Honda Pilot hear I come.

Got a call from the ford rep stating they would offer me $250 for financial assistance. My father worked at ford for 43 years and we never have had an issue before with paint. So disappointed with the direction Ford is going. The vehicle is a 2013 with 50k. The paint should not be this terrible on so many vehicles.

Count me as affected by this issue as well. '14 Sport, Tuxedo Black, just over 34,000 miles. Just noticed this last week, called the dealership, appointment tomorrow morning for them to take a look and submit to Ford.

Here's hoping I don't have to fight them to cover this under warranty...

Similar to other posts, my black Ford Explorer has significant bubbling paint along the front edge of the hood. When first pointed out to the dealership the car I believe had around 55,000 miles; it has around 69,000 now. The first technician that looked at it stated that the problem was well known and the warranty would only cover it if the paint began to chip off. This recently began to happen and we when we returned to the dealership we were informed that this was not a known problem, and that the hood has to actually rust all the way through before it is covered. So, they were either lying before or are lying now. I assume that it is simply not covered. However, the body repair department is happy to repaint it at standard costs!

This is all too bad. Clearly this is a defect in the vehicle. I was looking to trade it in for a new Explorer, but given this circumstances I would never buy another Ford. The paint problem is one thing (or based on earlier comments in this thread, the aluminum corrosion beneath the paint). The lying and/or lack of knowledge are both troubling in different ways. Honda Pilot hear I come.

Enjoy your Honda, thanks for joining.

Just to follow up, the dealer documented my vehicle's paint woes and said he should have approval from Ford today or tomorrow. He said they will repaint it using their body shop unless Ford specifies otherwise. He was not at all surprised by my issue and said they've encountered this same problem on aluminum-hooded Mustangs as well.

I sure hope they do it right this time. Being from Upper Michigan, I've dealt with midwestern rust my entire life. I don't want to worry about my NC cars flaking and rusting to an early grave.

I was talking to a Tesla owner the other day, specifically about the dealer/service experience since we are in Michigan and there is not a service center/dealership within 180 miles of my home. The long-time owner raved about the ownership experience. The service vehicle comes to their car, they have free use of another Tesla (not a sub-compact car) if their car is going to be out of service for more than a few hours and it is all done on time, on schedule. The amazing thing, according to these people, is that Tesla does repairs and upgrades without being prompted. They had a cracked windshield and the Tesla person noticed the door handles were an outdated design so he replaced them with the new version. On the spot.

Ford has defective paint/process on the hood of the Explorer and denies all responsibility. The dealership/corporate offers "financial support" that is truly meaningless as it amounts to removing some of the huge mark-up and leaving the customer to cover the full cost of materials and labor. The "warranty" might as well state, "...is fully covered in the event a meteorite impacts your vehicle while in use on a public roadway during the 5th Friday of an even numbered month."

I hope the current dealership/sales model is merely a nightmare of days past within a decade. It won't happen but it should.

You are also not going to buy a Tesla for $50k. I just checked the Canadian site and they are listing 2016 models from $108k to $191k. That owner is paying for that service.

Peter

You are also not going to buy a Tesla for $50k. I just checked the Canadian site and they are listing 2016 models from $108k to $191k. That owner is paying for that service.

Peter

True, but the Model 3 will be priced below the Explorer. What excuse will Ford have at that time?

At what price do we deserve fair treatment?

Do you realize that dealers are independently owned and operated !? Simply amazing. One person at one Ford dealer ruins it for the whole company. I can't say I'm sad for Ford but just for the thought process that prevails here.

This is a well known issue. FoMoCo spent years trying to figure out what was causing it. FoMoCo knows what caused it and has made corrective changes and advised dealers on how to correct the issue.

I just left my Ford dealership with my 2013 and was told the same thing...the hood must actually have a hole in it before it will be covered under the warranty. I have send Ford Service a message on Facebook, but based on so many other stories, I don't expect much. He also said it can be repaired by stripping and sanding it down.

Sad thread for sure... these types of issues can really affect overall perception of a brand, particularly for avid owners like us who are interested in and really care about the product. In short, we WANT our Explorers to be excellent and our hearts break when Ford lets us down with simple things like not getting paint right.

Does anyone know if the issues have been fixed in 2014+ Explorers? Have any changes been made in the manufacturing or painting process?

Sad thread for sure... these types of issues can really affect overall perception of a brand, particularly for avid owners like us who are interested in and really care about the product. In short, we WANT our Explorers to be excellent and our hearts break when Ford lets us down with simple things like not getting paint right.

Does anyone know if the issues have been fixed in 2014+ Explorers? Have any changes been made in the manufacturing or painting process?
Just going back a couple of pages it shows reports of the same issue by a couple of 2014 owners (model years are in the margin). Nothing yet foe more recent years. I don't believe the issue here is with the paint. The bubbling is a result of the corrosion beneath it.

Peter

Just to follow up, the dealer documented my vehicle's paint woes and said he should have approval from Ford today or tomorrow. He said they will repaint it using their body shop unless Ford specifies otherwise. He was not at all surprised by my issue and said they've encountered this same problem on aluminum-hooded Mustangs as well.

I sure hope they do it right this time. Being from Upper Michigan, I've dealt with midwestern rust my entire life. I don't want to worry about my NC cars flaking and rusting to an early grave.

Hi machinebreaker,

I'm happy to hear your dealer's taking care of you. Please keep me in the loop on this.

I just left my Ford dealership with my 2013 and was told the same thing...the hood must actually have a hole in it before it will be covered under the warranty. I have send Ford Service a message on Facebook, but based on so many other stories, I don't expect much. He also said it can be repaired by stripping and sanding it down.

Hi mattrasche,

I see Mackenzie worked with you earlier today on Facebook.

Meagan

2013 Ford Explorer issue

This past weekend a paint chip came off my wife's 2013 Ford Explorer Limited and I also noticed there were a TON of bubbles under the paint. I went online to search and see if this was common and people all over the place have had the same issues. I contacted the dealership I purchased the vehicle from and was given no response, contacted Ford and have heard nothing back yet. Surely paint jobs last longer than 3 YEARS?!? How is this not a defect that they are REQUIRED to fix!? I am thinking very seriously about contacting my Congressman and Senators about this along with any agency that has regulatory control over how they do business and treat customers. I believe this issue should be paid for BY FORD for EVERYONE experiencing the issue, am I wrong?!?

See if you can private message the Ford Service Rep that posted right above your issue.

Compared to what? Sorry, but I've heard that refrain too many times. The new Explorer is a mid-priced vehicle, and you are getting a very good product even compared to the Audis that cost 20% more.

In a standard, non luxury market I don't consider $60k+ to be "mid priced".

Peter

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hi machinebreaker,

I'm happy to hear your dealer's taking care of you. Please keep me in the loop on this.

Hi mattrasche,

I see Mackenzie worked with you earlier today on Facebook.

Meagan

Thanks Meagan, the Explorer is in the body shop as we speak. Hoping to have it back tomorrow. The dealer has been a little slow in moving the process along, but thankfully I haven't had to fight for them to cover this, since the vehicle is still under warranty.

Back