List of Useful Threads - Hood Paint bubble issue only | Page 28 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

List of Useful Threads Hood Paint bubble issue only

Hood Corrosion Bubbles 2013 Sport (Good News)

Great news, after finally talking to a few people at Ford beyond the initial customer relations people, Nikki has done the right thing and taken care of me with Ford paying 80% of the repair. Unfortunately they are not replacing the hood, but they are completely refinishing the hood and the body shop guy at Chapman Ford is going to do his best with epoxy primer and the like to stop the corrosion issue. Lets hope the White pearl matches. Replacing the weather stripping and the Explorer Name on the front too as part of the re:chug::chug:finish. YEAH!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Just noticed this issue on my 15 Sport. Bought it July of 14 has, 33K on it, wife's daily driver. Was walking around it this morning and I noticed what looked like a small ripple. Only reason I noticed it was from the hood being wet from the rain. Brushed away the water and noticed a nickle sized area bubbling up and another smaller bubble to the left of that one. No chips, dings, or scratches near the two spots. Going to call the dealer inthe in the morning. Good to know, at least, this is a known issue. Didn't get to take pics yet.

I heard back ftom the body shop guy from the dealer (Koons of Baltimore). Was as informative as he could be. When I met with him he told me he's about given up trying to repaint the hoods and just replaces them. When he called me back a couple days later he said Ford wanted them to sandblast and repaint the hood first, per some memo. Since he doesn't have the equipment to do the repairs per the memo he was going to try to see what he could get done. He did tell me at one point he had 19 of these issues on his desk.

Well as an update to my "in Warrantee" hood claim.... the hood has been repainted twice and it is now back again in a different place ....

I suggest there be a class action started and extended warantee instituted ....

RN

I heard back ftom the body shop guy from the dealer (Koons of Baltimore). Was as informative as he could be. When I met with him he told me he's about given up trying to repaint the hoods and just replaces them. When he called me back a couple days later he said Ford wanted them to sandblast and repaint the hood first, per some memo. Since he doesn't have the equipment to do the repairs per the memo he was going to try to see what he could get done. He did tell me at one point he had 19 of these issues on his desk.

Have you tried sending a PM to FordService with your comments about what has been done so far? I think asking for a new hood wouldn't be out of the question.

There have been several posts in different threads concerning different issues about starting a 'class action' claim but to my knowledge no one has taken the initiative to do so yet.

Peter

Washed and waxed my explorer today. Not the first time. I did notice something a little different this time. Small bubbles in the paint on the hood front edge. I know what this means. The surface was not properly prepared for paint. This is a direct result of robotics. No eye's on the surface and painted over some sort of grease or most likely silicon. I began to look over the rest of the edges and found the very bottom edges of all four doors are bare metal. As if not painted at all. What is the warranty on paint???

Washed and waxed my explorer today. Not the first time. I did notice something a little different this time. Small bubbles in the paint on the hood front edge. I know that this means. The surface was not properly prepared for paint. This is a direct result of robotics. No eye's on the surface and painted over some sort of grease or most likely silicon. I began to look over the rest of the edges and found the very bottom edges of all four doors are bare metal. As if not painted at all. What is the warranty on paint???

3yr/36k

Great 35356 miles and a trip planned next week. Guess where I will be in the AM.
I ran a finger along the edge of the hood where you do not see it. It is bubbled all the way around.

Great 35356 miles and a trip planned next week. Guess where I will be in the AM.
I ran a finger along the edge of the hood where you do not see it. It is bubbled all the way around.
Wishing you good luck getting it done quickly. From what I've read in some of the posts, the dealer may have to take pictures of the 'damage' and send them to Ford for warranty approval.

Peter

Wishing you good luck getting it done quickly. From what I've read in some of the posts, the dealer may have to take pictures of the 'damage' and send them to Ford for warranty approval.

Peter
While I do not expect it to be repaired before 36000 miles. I do expect it to be honored after reporting the defect.

Transmission in my Lexus was replaced free of charge 1000 miles out of warranty because I had been reported it with problems while in warranty. Ford can push me towards other manufactures if they choose but that would be a negative way to run a business.

While I do not expect it to be repaired before 36000 miles. I do expect it to be honored after reporting the defect.

Transmission in my Lexus was replaced free of charge 1000 miles out of warranty because I had been reported it with problems while in warranty. Ford can push me towards other manufactures if they choose but that would be a negative way to run a business.
I'm also hoping that is the case, as it should be. I believe that I read of at least one member here who found out that didn't happen. I'm sure you'll keep us in the loop on this. In any case, have a safe trip.

Peter

If you get it to the dealer before 36k, you are fine. As long as they open the work order under 36k, you can take the vehicle back and drive it while they wait for approval and/or parts.

That is no big deal. What is an issue is if you have 35,950 and have an issue, call them to schedule a few days out and then drive a 500 mile round trip somewhere. It is all about when the work order is opened, not what you do after that.

And keep in mind it is 36k from the original in service mileage. So if your bought it brand new with 110 miles on the odometer, your warranty ends 36,110.

.......And keep in mind it is 36k from the original in service mileage. So if your bought it brand new with 110 miles on the odometer, your warranty ends 36,110.
Good point. ;)

Peter

Well it's into Ford at this point we will see what they decide. The Sport I parked next to was far worse then mine. I bet I could walk up to any Explorer of this Gen and find the same thing. Funny how it's only on the front lip not the back edge at all. Must be how they are handled during painting.
Ford needs to address this whatever the cause. Five or so years from now with Explorers running all over with big herpes like scabs on their lips will not be good for business.

AAAAANND not suprising the Ford Motor Company told my body shop rep that the paint would NOT be covered. Service date is 03/2012. It is three months out of warranty.
This is sad. Not for me. I can handle this. I have a plan.
But for the company who is doing a LOT to sell these as luxury SUV's. Nice ride. Upward scale interiors all kinds of other expensive upgraded techno eccentric innovations above and beyond the last generation of Explorer and to strike out so badly on a obvious factory defect.
The worst of it is the way the customer feels. My wife is boiling mad that the paint is bubbling off the hood. I had to tell her to just stow it. I was tired of hearing about it. It has ruined the car for her. I do not see her doing Ford again. And we were doing so well.

That's really disappointing to hear. Although it may not make a difference, have tried contacting FordService to see if they might be able to do anything? Perhaps a partial coverage? You can use this link to contact them should you decide to do so.
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/index.php?conversations/add&to=FordService
They will want your name, contact phone number, VIN, mileage and servicing dealer.

Peter

Just purchased my car 5 days ago and after looking at this thread decided to look at the hood. Turns out i have this problem as well. Made a call to the dealer to see if this will be covered seeing as the car was just purchased and is certified. Really doubting that they will do anything with it, but doesn't hurt to try. If they don't may be looking at trading this car in on something from another manufacture as my plan was to keep this car for at least 5-7 years, but it sounds like the paint may not even last that long. Hopefully they do the right thing and don't push a new customer out.

I've noticed what appear to be some very small paint bubbles under the rubber weather stripping just underneath the front edge of the hood. Is this where it starts, and then does it spread to the outer surface of the hood? The bubbles are very small right now, but just wondering if I can be proactive and deal with it now with some touch-up or if spreading of the bubbles is inevitable.

Not sure if you really can be proactive with this issue. Some members that have had their hood repainted saw the issue come back again some time later. I believe it has to do with the underlying aluminum than the paint but no one seems to know why it appears to be limited to the front edge in 99% of the cases.
As for where it starts, yes, under the rubber lip seems to be a common location as mentioned in a few posts here. http://www.explorerforum.com/forums...bubble-issue-only.326943/page-17#post-3474626

Peter

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Just purchased my car 5 days ago and after looking at this thread decided to look at the hood. Turns out i have this problem as well. Made a call to the dealer to see if this will be covered seeing as the car was just purchased and is certified. Really doubting that they will do anything with it, but doesn't hurt to try. If they don't may be looking at trading this car in on something from another manufacture as my plan was to keep this car for at least 5-7 years, but it sounds like the paint may not even last that long. Hopefully they do the right thing and don't push a new customer out.
Welcome to the Forum.:wave:
Do you know if the vehicle is still under the 3 year, 36k mile factory warranty?

Peter

Back