List of Useful Threads - Hood Paint bubble issue only | Page 31 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

List of Useful Threads Hood Paint bubble issue only

A TSB is only covered if the affected part is also covered by the extended service plan. For example, trim is not covered by the esp so the TSB for the cowl vibration is not covered. As this is a paint issue it is not covered by the esp as paint is not covered. Wish it was, but it will take a class action suit against Ford's corrosion warranty (breach of contract suit) for this to be covered. If we get enough people in on the suit we could make this happen.
The TSB is for corrosion. This is not a paint issue as mention in above reply.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The TSB is for corrosion. This is not a paint issue as mention in above reply.

I would be shocked to see if this was covered by the esp. If that's the case then the dealer owes me a refund...

See post 571 above. It is not a paint issue but caused by corrosion under the paint.

Peter

Researched the Explorer hood problem and found interesting information. A body and paint guy during classes questioned aluminum body F150 trucks having paint issues, which so far they are not. The Aluminum panels are dipped in a solution to clean and make paint adhere. Steel bodies and parts are dipped in a different formula.
Explorers have steel fenders and aluminum hoods. They are dipped together in a solution that is supposed to be effective for both. Obviously they are not. If you look carefully at the bubbles on the hood they start on the seem and water gets under the paint lifting it due to corrosion. Corrosion is happening. It's more accurate to call it oxidation.

Spoke to a Ford Regional Cuatomer Service rep the other day. She said that Ford has changed the supplier of their alum hoods and that should solve the issue on new models, however she would not do anything about my vehicle as it was outside the 3yr 36k warranty. She said that alll warranties must expire and that mine had. She offered me the Ford Friends and Family pricing on a brand new model. I refused and told her that Ford had lost a long time customer. I was in the market for a 2017 Explorer and a F150, I guess I'll have to look at Chevy. I cannot see why Ford would aknowledge the issue up to 2007 models, changed nothing to the 2016 models, but left those of us in between high and dry. I spent $40k on a vehicle and they have turned their backs on me and everyone else. Shame on Ford. Then to suggest that I spend another $50k on a new Ford? Are you kidding me? The power of the consumer must prevail. I ask that all persons spread the word and tell everyone you know that Ford does not stand behind their products and does not care for their customers after the sale.

........ The power of the consumer must prevail. I ask that all persons spread the word and tell everyone you know that Ford does not stand behind their products and does not care for their customers after the sale.
Welcome to the Forum.:wave:
There are quite a few members that would disagree with that statement and others that would agree. To make a blanket statement like that is one that is the result of frustration and not always based on fact. There are instances where Ford has come through even after an expired warranty. Warranties do expire and not just on automobiles. The line has to be drawn somewhere and you did have the option to buy an Extended Warranty. If you had then your issue probably would have been covered. http://www.explorerforum.com/xenfor...explorer-tsbs-ssms.343204/page-2#post-3544247

Peter

PeterK9. Thanks for your reply unfortunately I did purchased the premium ESP from Ford when I purchased the vehicle, and it is still not covered as paint is not covered in the warranty. believe perhaps you are misunderstanding the issue. Ford has a known manufacturing defect the issue is not the warranty, but the fact that Ford is aware if a flaw in how they manufactured a vehicle part, and acknowledged it on some models but refuse on others. One can only come to the conclusion that it is a money issue.

PeterK9. Thanks for your reply unfortunately I did purchased the premium ESP from Ford when I purchased the vehicle, and it is still not covered as paint is not covered in the warranty. believe perhaps you are misunderstanding the issue. Ford has a known manufacturing defect the issue is not the warranty, but the fact that Ford is aware if a flaw in how they manufactured a vehicle part, and acknowledged it on some models but refuse on others. One can only come to the conclusion that it is a money issue.
My understanding from reading some posts here is that if you have the ESP and there is a TSB on an issue you have, it should be covered. The problem isn't the paint. The paint is bubbling due to the underlying corrosion which is what the TSB is for. I agree that there doesn't seem to be any consistency on why some are getting full or partial compensation for repairs.
It may not help but I would suggest contacting the FordService rep on this forum and see if there is anything they can do to help. At this point is seems that you really have nothing to lose by doing so. You can use this link;
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/index.php?conversations/add&to=FordService
When you PM, be sure to include your full name, best daytime phone number, VIN, mileage, and servicing dealership in your message.
Good luck and I do understand your frustration especially now that Ford has apparently admitted they have a problem by switching suppliers.

Peter

My understanding from reading some posts here is that if you have the ESP and there is a TSB on an issue you have, it should be covered. The problem isn't the paint. The paint is bubbling due to the underlying corrosion which is what the TSB is for. I agree that there doesn't seem to be any consistency on why some are getting full or partial compensation for repairs.
It may not help but I would suggest contacting the FordService rep on this forum and see if there is anything they can do to help. At this point is seems that you really have nothing to lose by doing so. You can use this link;
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/index.php?conversations/add&to=FordService
When you PM, be sure to include your full name, best daytime phone number, VIN, mileage, and servicing dealership in your message.
Good luck and I do understand your frustration especially now that Ford has apparently admitted they have a problem by switching suppliers.

Peter
Thank you for the mention, peterk9!

Deysha

Well, add me to this list. 2013 Black Explorer Sport and the paint is starting to bubble at the edge of the hood and below the lettering. Dealer says I am 2 months out of warranty and the 1-800 folks tell me that if there isn't a hole through the metal, it doesn't qualify for the corrosion warranty. Its aluminum isn't it? don't think that can rust.

Disappointing because its a good vehicle, but why would I ever spend that much money on a new vehicle if the paint is going to start peeling off at 3 years and 31,000 miles?
VERY disappointed.

Well, add me to this list. 2013 Black Explorer Sport and the paint is starting to bubble at the edge of the hood and below the lettering. Dealer says I am 2 months out of warranty and the 1-800 folks tell me that if there isn't a hole through the metal, it doesn't qualify for the corrosion warranty. Its aluminum isn't it? don't think that can rust.

Disappointing because its a good vehicle, but why would I ever spend that much money on a new vehicle if the paint is going to start peeling off at 3 years and 31,000 miles?
VERY disappointed.
Welcome to the Forum.:wave:
As mentioned in this thread, there is a TSB on this issue. Check out the link in the following post; http://www.explorerforum.com/xenfor...explorer-tsbs-ssms.343204/page-2#post-3552215

Peter

Thanks Peter! Has anyone had any luck on Ford taking care of this? I agree with other posters, this was a 45K vehicle that has a paint problem right at 3 years. Been a long time Ford owner, really hope they take care of this.

My hood was bubbling and peeling. Took it to my dealer's body shop and they were not sure if Ford would approve the fix. Ford ended up doing the repair for me and I had my entire hood re-painted. This was on a 2014 Explorer. Well, less than a year after the work was performed I'm seeing the bubbling again...only this time no chipping/peeling. It's just a matter of time before that starts happening. I've had the truck in the shop over 6 times in two years for brake issues (multiple times), noisy interior/rattles, and paint problems. Not a happy camper and I only have 33K on this thing.

My hood was bubbling and peeling. Took it to my dealer's body shop and they were not sure if Ford would approve the fix. Ford ended up doing the repair for me and I had my entire hood re-painted. This was on a 2014 Explorer. Well, less than a year after the work was performed I'm seeing the bubbling again...only this time no chipping/peeling. It's just a matter of time before that starts happening. I've had the truck in the shop over 6 times in two years for brake issues (multiple times), noisy interior/rattles, and paint problems. Not a happy camper and I only have 33K on this thing.
Having the issue reoccur is not an uncommon problem. Several posts on that here.

Peter

My 2011 has some bubbles, but they have not progressed to the viewable side of the hood. Seems to be very slow progression. So my point is maybe not all hoods are doomed.

Keith

Well, took it to the dealership who took pictures and sent into Ford. Ford came back today and stated that since it was out of warranty by 2 and a half months, it would not be covered.

No way in hell I will ever buy another Ford product again. Paint bubbles on a 3 year old 45k vehicle is unacceptable. Too bad, I liked my last F150 and this,but won't have a car with peeling paint. Goodbye Ford.

Its aluminum isn't it? don't think that can rust.

Rust is a process called Oxidation. Aluminum also Oxidizes. Oxygen is a pollutant to most everything.

My 2011 has some bubbles, but they have not progressed to the viewable side of the hood. Seems to be very slow progression. So my point is maybe not all hoods are doomed.

Keith

It never sleeps.

Having the issue reoccur is not an uncommon problem. Several posts on that here.

Peter
Used to sell paint supplies back in 1974. We sold a product called Alumnaprep. It was a treatment to help the primer adhere to the aluminum. All these years I am certain there are superior products. This is a obvious failure to process the surface prep and prime as well as the weather strip holds dirt and moisture. The dirt pierces the paint and moisture gets in because the rubber strip does not let it evaporate. Keeping it clean and dry will help.

Rust is a process called Oxidation. Aluminum also Oxidizes. Oxygen is a pollutant to most everything.
Aluminum oxidizes for sure but still never rust. During oxidation aluminum is covered and protected by very thin film of Al2O3 (Aluminum oxide III). If it could be bare aluminum with no treatment one would never notice something happened to it.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

problem is the oxidization has to be chemically neutralized somehow, removing the hood and dipping it would be best. Just sand and painting over whats trapped deep inside the metal isn't going to solve anything, to do it right Ford needs to replace the hoods instead of performing a fix.

Back