Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

Hood Paint bubble issue only

Discussion in 'Stock 2011 - 2019 Ford Explorer Discussion' started by wilsor, August 29, 2011.

• Searches ExplorerForum.com
    ?

Is there a recourse for denied warranty coverage on corrosion issues on a 2015 Explorer?

1. .

0 vote(s)
      0.0%
    2. .

0 vote(s)
      0.0%
    Multiple votes are allowed.
    1. blwnsmoke

blwnsmoke Staff Member Moderator Elite Explorer

City, State:
      Year, Model & Trim Level:
      2011 Explorer Limited
      If you have the Premium ESP, I would have went straight to the BBC and fought this. Would have gone as far as small claims court.

On a separate note, the ESP covers over 1,000 items. Just because 1 of them wasn't covered for you doesn't mean it is the "biggest ripoff".

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 for 2 years!

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself, and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments directly to your posts and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

to hide adverts.
    3. albguy40

albguy40 New Member

City, State:
      Toronto, ON
      2013 Explorer Ltd. AWD
      Does anyone know how much these hoods cost to fix. On my 13 Limited the paint on the front of the hood by the lip just wont stop peeling. I now have at least 10-15 dime size spots and a few quarter size ones... It looks like cancer that is spreading... Extremely embarrassing for a four year old vehicle that cost $55k new...

4. peterk9

peterk9 Staff Member Moderator Elite Explorer

City, State:
      Ottawa, Ontario area
      2017 Explorer Platinum
      Callsign:
      VE3
      I believe there are several posts in this thread that mention costs. One I came across mentioned $700 and another from a Canadian member mentioned $900.

Peter

5. bcampbe7

bcampbe7 New Member

2016 Explorer Limited
      Spoke to my dealer last time I had the Explorer in for an oil change (couple of weeks ago). Have a small area of bubbling on the hood. Service Manger took some pics to send to Ford. Apparently they came back and said they would not fix it.

What do I need to do to get Ford to fix this issue? Keep complaining to my service manager? Would mentioning the TSB information to the service manager help?

6. peterk9

City, State:
      Ottawa, Ontario area
      2017 Explorer Platinum
      Callsign:
      VE3
      I don't think there is any use in repeatedly bringing this up with the dealership since it is Ford that has to approve the work. I would ask the service manager for the reason, if any, that Ford gave for the denial. I was going to suggest contacting the Ford Service people but again if the work was already denied then I doubt that would do any good.

Peter

7. Carmen Guffey

Carmen Guffey New Member

City, State:
      Shalimar, Fl
      2015 Explorer Limited
      I recently noticed what I thought was rock damage on the front of my hood. My husband then showed me where the paint had flaked off because it had bubbled along that section of the hood & was bubbling in 3 other places on the hood.
      Today I took it to my local Ford dealer, they told me that even though the car is not yet 3 years old it exceeded the 36k mileage & no my extended warranty does not cover corrosion & oh yes, Ford knows there is a paint corrosion issue on the hoods, they make many repairs, many outside the warranty, they can do it for $900!
      This same Ford dealer has opened/closed that hood every 5K miles for the last 26 months yet none of the technicians ever mentioned it & it right next to the front center.
      I purchased the vehicle from a Ford dealer with 16K miles as a 'new' vehicle with all the warranties & a 'better than new' extended warranty. I now have 45k miles on it.

8. blwnsmoke

City, State:
      2011 Explorer Limited
      Carmen, Welcome to the forum. I've merged your post with the ongoing thread that discusses this exact issue. If you go back a page and look at post 758, you will see Ford now covers this for 5yrs/unlimited mileage beginning in 2016. Many Explorers prior to the 2016MY have now been able to get theirs covered. I would kindly call up your dealership and advise them that Ford has announced coverage for 5yrs/unlim mileage and ask that they escalate this to Ford.

My feeling is they looked at it, and said oh, you are over 36k and didn't even bother contacting Ford.

Lastly, just about everything you could imagine has been talked about on here. We ask that members use the search function first on the top right to try and keep same topics posted together. For this, I used "hood paint".

Please let us know the outcome from your dealer.

9. Vink70

Vink70 New Member

City, State:
      Sterling, IL
      2016 Explorer Sport
      I just had my '16 sport hood replaced and painted a few weeks ago. Just about to hit the 36k miles. Only issue I had was they painted the hood separate and just swapped it on. I don't feel like the new hood fits as well and it is for sure a different color than the rest of the car. I understand thats tough on a metallic car and the angles play tricks with your eyes but i wish they painted it with the vehicle there.

The body shop offered to blend the fenders out of their own pocket which I might have them do. I just dont feel like their quality is as good either. But on the flip side, I might just take it to my trusted body shop and have them match it to the rest of the car...

10. peterk9

City, State:
      Ottawa, Ontario area
      2017 Explorer Platinum
      Callsign:
      VE3
      Welcome to the Forum Carmen.:wave:
      I would be surprised if Ford covered the hood paint issue but I wish you luck. I'm not sure how they sold you a vehicle with 16K miles on it as 'new'. It would likely have been a Certified Pre-Owned sale. The warranty would likely be the existing 3yr/36k factory warranty. Is the "better than new" a Ford ESP warranty?

Peter

11. blwnsmoke

City, State:
      2011 Explorer Limited
      I missed that part. No way it was sold as new wo th 16k.

And as you and I know, nothing covers more then the bumper to bumper.