List of Useful Threads - Hood Paint bubble issue only | Page 6 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

List of Useful Threads Hood Paint bubble issue only

So far, as of today, Ford is offering to cover half the $2500 repair cost, my dealer is willing to pick up $500 of the other half, which would leave me with 700 and some change......I don't think so.

The customer service rep assigned to my case hasn't called me yet, go figure. I've left her a message, but I doubt she cares, as her last day is tomorrow.

As a life long Ford owner, this really pisses me off.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The customer service rep assigned to my case hasn't called me yet, go figure. I've left her a message, but I doubt she cares, as her last day is tomorrow.

As a life long Ford owner, this really pisses me off.

I called Ford today to try and talk to the customer service rep, Jessica, that was handling my case, since she has never called me.

I was told by my dealer that Jessica's last day was this past Friday...real nice.

The person I talked to on the phone told me there was no "room for negotiations" on their "offer".

I talked to another Ford rep, Randy, who said 50% is all they'll cover, since it's out of warranty....and besides the corrosion on the aluminum hood isn't covered unless there is perforation. Now how long do you suppose it'd take aluminum to perforate? I advised Randy it appears as though Ford never intended to cover any of these issues, since the aluminum corrosion isn't even stated in their warranty.

All in today I learned Ford is full of it, and could care less about it's customers.

I caution anyone who is thinking about buying a new aluminum bodied F150 to think long and hard about it, before doing so, as the corrosion may not be apart of the warranty.

As for owning a Ford, this will be my last. :thumbdwn:

The Ford reps are there every day of the week monitoring our forums. You can send them private messages any time. All you have to do is take advantage of it.

Peter

I wish I had that same offer......:(

Hi tjEXPLORER11,

As Peter mentioned, all you have to do is send me a PM and I'll see what I can do. When you write, be sure to include all your details, including full name, best daytime phone number, VIN, mileage, and servicing dealership. Keep in mind that I can't overturn decisions made in cases, but I can arrange for a follow-up call if you'd like to discuss it.

Crystal

Quick question, say if my vehicle was leased and was being returned with paint defects such as in post 108, would Ford hold the lessee responsible for the repairs?

Maybe Crystal could chime in on this.

Welcome to the Forum sporter1971.:wavey:
I have moved your thread to this one on paint issues. Once Ford has rejected your request, there isn't too much that can be done. You could try sending a private message to Crystal (FordService) who monitors this forum and perhaps she can open a case file and see if there is a possibility of some help with the issue. You can use this link;
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/private.php?do=newpm&u=157968
When you PM, be sure to include your full name, best daytime phone number, VIN, mileage, and servicing dealership in your message.

It would also help the members here if you added the model of your Explorer to your profile so it appears in the left column.

Peter

Hi tjEXPLORER11,

As Peter mentioned, all you have to do is send me a PM and I'll see what I can do. When you write, be sure to include all your details, including full name, best daytime phone number, VIN, mileage, and servicing dealership. Keep in mind that I can't overturn decisions made in cases, but I can arrange for a follow-up call if you'd like to discuss it.

Crystal

Seeing as how you can't overturn a decision, and that I've talked to three people at Ford, I doubt a pm would do me much good. I do have the owner of the dealership getting involved now, and he owns severa, so maybe he'll sort it out. Time will tell.

...I've had cars 5 times older and not have that issue
outside of that and some other issues.. ie the splitting of the seam on the armrest ( i saw that on another forum here as well.. ) the truck has been very reliable and its good on gas and we love it.. but this and the reaction of Ford not to look at the situation for what it is will definately factor into my decision to buy another Ford..

Hi sporter1971,

Since you mentioned kilometers, I assume you live in Canada? If so, I recommend that you reach out to our Canadian rep directly; here's a link to their profile: http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/member.php?u=233337

...Maybe Crystal could chime in on this.

I'd refer to your lease documentation, nick3941sd, to see what's outlined there. Additionally, you can reach out to your dealership; they'll be in the best position to help.

Crystal

ok so a few weeks ago I got the chance to bring my Gem Green 2013 22k mi to the dealer as requested by the regional rep Mario....

the dealer "Metro Ford" looked at it and indicated he did not have a body shop and did not have a recommendation of one other than another dealer "Gus Machado Ford"

I did watch him add my visit and his findings in the VIN log for the car so my complaint has been officially noted.

I have had previous experience with the other dealer repairing a small dent on an ex gf's mustang. paint blushed the adjacent color and was a mess.... and was returned w bondo / paint sander dust inside the car....

seeing this kind of poor workmanship on the hood "in my face" everyday would probably miff me to the point of a poor opinion of Ford Service and Quality which is what they are touting nowadays. And who knows how many more times this is going to happen over the next 4 years (I still have my 99 no issues)

I like that Ford is a patriot of a company however there are times to do the right thing by your customers and a second rate paint repair on an 18 month complaint (now two year old car) is not what I expect Ford would like to convey.

I suggested that shipping a green gem hood in a box would certainly be faster and better quality than a local body shop.....

I would like to speak to someone other than the regional rep on this issue and have a chat about how we can move forward. We should all be requesting someone other than the regional rep.

I will post photos occasionally to see how much crawl is has in this tropical climate....

Rick
Miami

I have started a conversation w Crystal and hope the factory will pony up with a new hood primed w zinc chromate and finished green gem.....

seems like improper prep and edge stressing during bending is leaving the metal susceptable to this corrosion...... the little metallurgy that I understand makes this a reasonable explanation.... just checked under the weather stripping and everyone here should check as well,,,,, the bubbling is more than half the length of the front edge underneath AND this isn't just the front edge seam. I see the underneath side of the hood skin is bubbling under the lightly painted surface in many locations....... lightly pull the edge weather stripping back and look up under there....

I am going to check thoroughly over the weekend and I expect it will be around the hinge fasteners as well.... will report back .....

RN

I don't think I'd be holding my breath waiting for a factory painted hood to be shipped to you. I'm not sure how the factory is set up but the hoods and other parts are likely sent to them by another supplier. Then when body panels etc are installed, they are painted as part of the entire vehicle. I seriously doubt that any painted parts are stocked. When I had a front right sensor replaced on the Explorer, the body shop had to paint it to match the vehicle.

Peter

...I would like to speak to someone other than the regional rep on this issue and have a chat about how we can move forward...

Hi Rick,

I don't have the ability to escalate beyond the regional level, but I'd be happy to arrange for a follow-up call from your CSM. PM me your current mileage and a verification of your best daytime phone number; I'll do the rest.

Crystal

Thanks Crystal, what is the process to start a conversation with Ford Corporation ?

This seems to be a recurring theme on the paint and foolishly someone is thinking there is a paint difference between a 2012 w 50k miles and one with 110k miles. My 2013 started a year after purchase and many of the members are indicating the same....

Really,, a paint problem is apparent and its not mileage dependent.... seems like this needs to go beyond the forum to the corp headquarters where the marketing department may need to know that a pile of owners are not being handled the way the corporation advertises that its loyal customers will be.

the sample you are seeing are just forum members, what is the actual number of effected vehicles ?

Do you have access to the total number of paint complaints on the latest model explorers ?

Maybe you can indicate a department and phone number to escalate to ?

thanks
RN

Hi Rick,

I don't have the ability to escalate beyond the regional level, but I'd be happy to arrange for a follow-up call from your CSM. PM me your current mileage and a verification of your best daytime phone number; I'll do the rest.

Crystal

Thanks Crystal, what is the process to start a conversation with Ford Corporation ?

This seems to be a recurring theme on the paint and foolishly someone is thinking there is a paint difference between a 2012 w 50k miles and one with 110k miles. My 2013 started a year after purchase and many of the members are indicating the same....

Really,, a paint problem is apparent and its not mileage dependent.... seems like this needs to go beyond the forum to the corp headquarters where the marketing department may need to know that a pile of owners are not being handled the way the corporation advertises that its loyal customers will be.

the sample you are seeing are just forum members, what is the actual number of effected vehicles ?

Do you have access to the total number of paint complaints on the latest model explorers ?

Maybe you can indicate a department and phone number to escalate to ?

thanks
RN

Hi RN,

I don't have access to repair histories or technical information. I'd recommend that you reach out to our Customer Relationship Center at 1-800-392-3673; they'll route your call appropriately.

Crystal

My Explorer is getting worse, the paint along the front edge of the hood is now starting to flake off, exposing bare metal. Ford quality isn't so good right now, and their customer service sucks. They give you the rehearsed answer and wait for you to go away. There isn't any reason for any of us to have to pay for this repair, but since it's not a safety issue Ford won't offer much help. Some may be happy with 50% of the cost covered, but I wasn't, and I'm still not.

I can't wait to see the all aluminum body F150 owners outrage when this happens to them.....number one selling pick up will undoubtedly be handed over to someone else soon after.

Oh, and as luck would have it, someone ran into the back of our Explorer last night.....$2900 worth of damages, now why couldn't they have hit the front?

The hood on my MKT is also aluminum so it isn't just the Ex that has aluminum body parts.

Peter

My sister had blistering paint bubbles on her 2012 Ford Edge, it is a black metallic paint colour, not sure the name of the colour but the same colour is used on the Explorer (different assembly plant though). She had about 20 paint bubbles, and when the bubbles broke they exposed the whitish colour primer under the paint, so it looked terrible and very obvious. This happened within 4 months of getting the vehicle. She received the vehicle in late winter and the paint started bubbling as soon as the hot weather arrived in our region. The bubbles started popping as the car was being hand washed in my sister's driveway.

Ford of Canada treated her like absolute crap, they denied the claim based on pictures that the dealer sent to the Ontario Ford representative. They wouldn't even come out tp inspect the vehicle in person. It was almost impossible to see the bubbles that had developed but had not broken yet in cheap low quality digital camera pics, yet they would not come out to look at it.

Ford managed to soak her for an extended warranty and then the dealer got her for additional paint protection coverage, and neither warranty company would honour her claim. Ford pulled out all the stops with their cookie cutter standard claim denials. They denied her claim saying that they were stone chips, yet they were clearly bubbles in the paint that were bursting, we found several bubbles that were developing that did not burst yet, and when the dealer paint manager touched them they burst on contact. The bubbles were on the front quarter panels, and the roof and the rear quarter panels. The Edge is assembled in Ontario, different than the Explorer.

The dealer paint shop manager said it was clearly a paint adhesion defect from the factory, and he was quite upset that Ford Canada denied the claim. He insisted that the dealer would repair the vehicle by re-painting the affected panels. The dealer painted the vehicle despite Ford not honouring a warranty claim.

I'm sorry but Ford outright treated my sister like garbage after she sunk a ton of money into buying that vehicle, the warranty department was too lazy to get off their pencil pushing butts to even look at the issue, assuming they could deduce what happened by looking at pictures. Shame on you Ford Canada, if my sister never buys another Ford vehicle again it will be because of your lazy claims representatives and people that are trained to spit out cookie cutter claims statements without even opening their eyes. I'm sorry that I talked her into buying her first Ford only to have her raked over the coals like that. They treated her like crap, plain and simple. The stress caused to the consumer in this case was inexcusable. If the dealer didn't step up to the plate and cover Ford's rear end we would have taken Ford to small claims court, plain and simple. :thumbdwn:

Big props to Oakridge Ford in London, Ontario, Canada, they stepped up to the plate and absorbed the cost which Ford should have taken responsibility for. The body shop manager at the dealership told the dealership manager that he was repairing the vehicle despite Ford denying the claim as it was a paint adhesion defect. The dealership owner didn't look too happy about it but it happened. At least someone in the organization had some integrity, and they weren't being paid by Ford :thumbsup:

Sorry if I come off a bit emotional about this, but my sister is a single mother whose husband passed away unexpectedly when her son was only 3 months old. She was able to raise her son on her own by working hard, and when she finally was able to afford her first new vehicle she put out a considerable amount of dough on a new Ford Edge. She used to drive Hondas and she made the jump to her first-time Ford after I purchased my Ford Explorer. It really bothers me that Ford would take advantage of her like that, I don't expect Ford to know or care about her personal history, but they need to start treating people with respect after they leave the showroom, and stop trying to rip off hard working customers just so they can maintain their billion dollar profits.

Glad to hear that Oakridge Ford stepped up for their customer and took care of the problem. Very disappointing that Ford, given similar issues on other Explorers, didn't even bother to have someone look at the issue.

Peter
(Oakridge Secondary School 1966 graduate.)

Glad to hear that Oakridge Ford stepped up for their customer and took care of the problem. Very disappointing that Ford, given similar issues on other Explorers, didn't even bother to have someone look at the issue.

Peter
(Oakridge Secondary School 1966 graduate.)

Former Londoner eh ? :thumbsup:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Another victim of bubbling...

Here is another one! My paint started bubbling over a year ago on my 2011 Ford Explorer. However back to back babies and a full-time job meant this got neglected. I finally took it to my dealership after 3 years 3 months and 41,000 miles, and you bet I was beyone disappointed to hear that my warranty coverage stopped aftter 3 years / 36,000 miles. I worked the process and receved the offer for 50% coverage of the $1,400 price tag of getting a new hood. Seriously? The bubbling is now chipping everywhere on my hood exposing the aluminum. I have 30 days before their 50% offer goes away. Any one out there with experience in how I can get Ford to cover this 100%! I feel they should -this is a clear manufacturer defect!!! I did PM Crystal, but would love any other advice out there! This is my first Ford, and needless to say this + the fact that when I called in and spoke to someone about my case I also found out there is now a power steering safety recall on my car? Because clearly I have half a day free to take my car in and get fixed! Help please!!!!

Back