• Register Today It's free!

horn doesn't work

med

Reaction score
City, State
hope, ar
Year, Model & Trim Level
'97 X xlt 4x
have a '97 x and the horn will not work and the lighted writing for the cruise (left side only on steering wheel) is not working. it was like this when i bought it. i have no idea on where to start looking for problems. anybody able to help?

thanks-
med

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Does your cruise control not work at all and is your airbag light on? If this is the case then you probably have the same problem I have, clockspring in the steering wheel is bad, it's the mechanism behinde the airbag in the actual steering wheel itself. I'm still trying to figure out how to get the steering column off, all the steering wheel pullers I have come across don't work worth a **** when it comes to pulling it off :rolleyes:

First thing I would check is the horn itself. It is under the battery. Take the screws out of the fenderwell and feel right above it.

The horn is actually a dual horn setup. They are known for grounding themselves out. You can unhook them one at a time and see if the horn works. Mine grounded out a while back. When it grounds itself, it usually kills the lights in the cruise buttons and sometimes the cruise itself because they are on the same circuit at the wheel.

I would check that first because it is cheaper and easier to fix that than starting at the wheel. If you disconnect one horn and nothing works, then check the other and still no results, then I would move to the wheel.

Before I did any of that I would check the fuse and/or relay that is on the horn/cruise contrl circuit.

thanks guys....i'll check it out.

ExplorerSportNu --- the cruise works fine thank goodness. little stuff like this not working drives me crazy. i can be aggressive at the wheel at times and i want to be able to lay down on the horn when those not so attentive drivers pull out in front of me. they'll never realize i'm flippin' e'm off if they can't hear me honkin'. :D

thanks-
med

med said:
thanks guys....i'll check it out.

ExplorerSportNu --- the cruise works fine thank goodness. little stuff like this not working drives me crazy. i can be aggressive at the wheel at times and i want to be able to lay down on the horn when those not so attentive drivers pull out in front of me. they'll never realize i'm flippin' e'm off if they can't hear me honkin'. :D

thanks-
med

LOL I feel your pain, going on no horn for about a month now i'm about to lose my marbles and be very glad you don't have the problem I have :D

"horn doesn't work, watch for finger?"

ok.....i finally got around to checking my horn out. it was said that it's a dual horn but it looks like i just have one. i'm not sure wtf is up with that. and the existing horn is not connected to anything. there is a female connection coming from the horn and another female connection coming from some other assembly. and i cant figure out where the horn is supposed to plug in of if something else is missing. a pic is included. if anyone can help i'd appreciate it.

thanks-
med

IMG_1003.jpg

lol. Your other horn is missing. If you want to have a horn, connect the blue wire on the left to the the one on the right. There is supposed to be another horn to the right of the existing one, and that is what the wires are supposed to connect to. :)

i don't mind having 1 horn although it makes me very curious about what happened to it or why it's not there. but what do i need to get to make these two female connections fit together?

thanks-
med

You could simply cut the connectors off and install an end to end connector, tape them together, or solder and then tape over the joint. Just be aware that your car will sound like a sissy car without the other frequency horn there. :D

Newbie here with no horn. Now know where to look and what to look for.
thanks,
mc

Back