Horn problems on a 2002 Sport Trac. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Horn problems on a 2002 Sport Trac.

trout-fly

Reaction score
City, State
vancouver
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 sport trac
I`m new to the forum,and happy to be here.i`ve been having trouble with the horn,the horn was getting lower in pitch when i was useing the keyless entre,untill it just stopped.it will not work on the steering wheel.the relay was still clicking,,i replaced it anyway ,and still no horn...we took our trailer out for a 2 day trip and when we got out,, i used the keyless and the horn worked,i went back into the car,tried the horn it worked,i got out used the keyless,,,no horn,,i got 3 honks out of it...last week we had friends over,,we went out in the car,,there were 5 of us in it,,,we drove about 125 miles,,when we got out ,,used the keyless the horn worked,,i got in the streering wheel horn worked,,i got out used the keyless it worked again,,,i looked at our friends pressed it again,,didn`t work,,,,the ford dealer said the horns were bad,,,what do you guys think,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,thanks keith

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Keith,
Ditto on BrooklynBay's recommendation. Check for corrosion. If you can hear the relay click when the horn is commanded then the cause lies in the power feed side, not the control side. Check for corrosion. If nothing is found then start checking the circuit for chaffing. Because of the instant intermittent change it's most likely going to be a bad connection or corrosion. Usually if it's a circuit it nees something to move the wire around, like bumps, engine vibration, etc.

Thanks you guys,,,i`ve been looking for the horns,but can`t find them. A friend said there up front behind the light. Do i have to remove anything to get at them. When it stops raining i`ll get at it,,and living in vancouver it could been awhile,,,and thanks brooklynbay for getting me into the right area of this site,,,,,,keith

I had the same issue and just replaced mine last month. The best way to get to them is through the left wheel well. Turn the wheel to the right (or pull the left tire) Remove the wheel well plastic and they should be right under where the battery is. If you buy the horns from Ford they come with all New wiring. Change everything because they get very corroded. Make sure you get both the High and Low Horn.

horn

Thanks brian,,,yesterday i took out the battery and battery holder and found the wire to the horn.i put a light probe on it,one wire,, lights,, when i honk the horn,, the other doesn`t,,i grabed the horn and tried to move it,it moved a bit and i got 1 honk,,i figured the grounding wasn`t very good,i kept tightening the bolt that held the horn in,but it would honk sometimes,,i took the nut right off and the horn droped,,then i couldn`t get it out,,i figured it had to come out by the fender...so brian your post has come at a very good time,,,,thanks again keith

Horn problem

My horn works with the fob but not on the steering wheel

No Srs light on. How to check the contacts?

Back