Horrible front end squeak (passenger side) | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Horrible front end squeak (passenger side)

Steeda90GT

Reaction score
City, State
Central NJ
Year, Model & Trim Level
99 Sport
Well after a big snow snowstorm I noticed that the front pass side of my 99 Sport delevoped a squeak. A couple of days later it got worse, now it's so loud. I can hear it when I turn the wheel and when I go over any bumps in the road. Seriously any bump triggers off this squeak, even braking and taking off at a stop light causes it to squeak. When the truck is parked I can push up and down on the fender and reproduce the squeak sound

I took a can of white lithium grease and went to down, soaking the sway bar bushings, end links (only a ocuple of months old), upper and lower control arms. It seemed to quiet down for like 10 seconds but the noise came back.

Any ideas?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I had the same problem and went in with a can of WD-40. Stopped the noise about a week. Interested to know what the solution is...

That's almost the exact description of what mine just started doing a couple of days ago. Its driving me nuts! Squeaks constantly when driving, but also when stopped with any little movement of the steering wheel or any front suspension movement.

I think its coming from the torsion bar adjuster, but I can't really tell because it is so loud. It sounds like its coming from under the whole front of the truck and is loud under the middle too. I can even hear it inside the truck while driving with the radio turned up. Really friggin annoying!

I jacked up the drivers side so the tire was hanging and couldn't get anything to squeak. Wiggled the tire up/down, and side/side but nothing was loose or making any noise. Then I pulled off the wheel and checked the tie rod and bushings. Everything looks and sounds normal, so I'm pretty sure its the torsion bar adjuster rubbing metal to metal.

Tomorrow, I'll try to put it up on a lift at work and get a better look. For the heck of it, I'll lube everything I can get to and maybe something will quiet the noise.

squeaking front end

I had this problem on a 2000 Ranger, 4x4. It was a dry ball joint. Got a needle attachment for grease gun and inserted into the rubber covering of ball joint and greased the ball joint in this manner. You can grease other sealed components this way. Good luck.

I was planning to check it out today at work, but now it isn't making any noise at all.

I'll probably still lube everything though since I'm here and have the time.

Well I think I know what it is. The upper balljoint looks like it has a rip in the boot. Obviously this would cause squeaking right? I try to spray white lithium grease in there but it just seeps out. When I drive down the road, the noise goes away for like 30 seconds, then comes back slowly (probably the grease seaping out)

Yeah, you'll need some heavier duty grease for that. Its cool that you found what's making your noise though.

UPDATE - I replaced the upper balljoint, worked well for a few minutes....Then the squeaking came back :mad:

Any ideas?

Squeaking front end

Try lubing the other ball joints on both sides, and other components with rubber boots, by using the needle adapter for your grease gun. Good luck!

Well I decided to drop it off at the shop. They called and said that it needed the other 3 balljoints and it would cost $600 (parts/install) :eek:

Ouch, that hurts the wallet!

Looks like you're going to be busy this weekend swapping more ball joints.

BTW, mine still isn't making noise anymore. I'll just leave it alone til it acts up again.

Yeah and now I also need rear brakes, ughh. I really don't feel like working on this thing in the winter time.

So one thing I noticed...everytime I jack the truck up, then lower and drive...the noise goes away for a brief amount of time. It comes back after driving it down the road though.

What type of grease is good to use for these ball joints. I figure i should grease mine since its warm this week here, just need to pick up a needle attachment for my grease gun.

UPDATE: So I bought a needle attachment at R&S Strauss for the grease gun and used Mobil synthetic grease. I had to grease both lower ball joints...and...no more noise!!

I guess I'll keep an eye on it every oil change.

If the ball joints are good try looking at the stabilizer bushings and the links. I had all my balljoints replaced . thank god for aftermarket warranty. After my balljoints got replaced two months later i noticed a loud embarrassing squeeking sound coming from the front of my suv I took it back to the people that fixed the balljoints and they gave me this advise. Of course everyone else I took it to couldn't give me a straight up answer. Good luck.

Ball Joint Adventure.

The squeakin is from the damn ball joints. I put new one's (with zirk fittings) in my Ranger last night... was not fun... but no more squeaky, squeaky... ;)
Upper ball joints were $46.00 each, Lowers were $15.00 each.... $122.00
and doing it myself sure beats the **** outa est $600.00-700.00 for parts AND labor... I was told that worn ball joints are very dangerous... If the fail at high speeds you can go Flippy Flippy... Very Bad.

UPDATE: It's been over a year and balljoints have remained quiet. I had to regrease them this past winter, but so far so good.

..and $600 - $700?? Wow, I was quoted $400 and that included an alignment...I thought THAT was too much.

Oooopps... I "heard" that it cost 600-700... - 400 sounds more realistic..
Still rather do it myself. 1st set (right side upper and lower) took almost 4 FRICKIN hours...
I lost my temper several times cuz I didn't know what the F@!$@# I was doing.. Second set (Left side upper and lower) took about an hour and a half... Go figure... Now, does anyone know the quickest way to fix / replace the dash lights in a Ranger? I can barely read my speedo and guages....
Do I have to rip out the entire F@!$!$!$ing dash or is there a shortcut?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Les Schwab quoted me (last summer 2008) $800 for lower ball joint replacement and alignment. I laughed in their face.

Did the job myself. However, a year later I'm getting the squeaky noise over speed bumps, steep driveways, etc .

When you use the needle attachment and pierce the ball joint boot, does it then create an opening for debris to get in there and ruin the joint???

Back