Hotwheels wrap's up his 2yr project | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Hotwheels wrap's up his 2yr project

heh.... better late then never huh?

my truck was pulled off the road allmost 2yr's ago for its second blown A4LD and i figured i may as well make a few other small changes ;)

1992 eddiebauer
shortend D44 with quality gear 4.56's (open)
full width 9" with motive 4.56's and motive 31 spline full spool
all brand new bearings/races/seals/u-joints thruout
78 bronco front and rear SS skyjacker brake lines
new hard lines and rubber lines
new new new everything from the coils down is new :D
35" MT baja claw radials on 15x10 chrome wagon wheels somewhere around 3.250 BS
C5 tranny with flexalite fan assist cooler autometer pod with temp gauge and B&M megashifter (soon to be full manual reverse patern valvebody)
lokar universal trans filler tube
both driveshafts modded was $180cdn
never havin to rebuild another A4LD?...... priceless :D
WAR153's
monroe gas magnum off the shelf shock's at local part store 13" travel ($20 each cheaper then rancho 5000's)
F250 front shock towers
BCbroncos adjustable heim jointed trac bar
coils are of unknown origin
warn 8274
lots of other stuff just ask.

still have some final touches to do but she's runnin and i have a trip planned in 2 week's to shake the bug's out of her :thumbsup:

i used 2 differant rim offsets after looking high and low for a EB rear diff.... the rims where CHEAP compaired to a EB housing so will get me by for now.

pic's are here...------> www.minnis.ca/gallery/hotwheels

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Bada$$!! :D Nice job man. Looks really nice! :thumbsup: Can't wait to see some action pics.

rig turned out real awesome looking...when you turn...do you tag the front fenders? so your shortened the front D44 and left the 9"? need some pics of the rig flexin... :thumbsup:

Cool. Glad to hear you got it all together now.

i still need to trim the front fenders back, it will rub if i try to flex it.

yes front is narrowed rear is full width.... i hit my visa limit too early in the project so i made it work... you really cant tell unless you measure it's only about 1" out on each side.

plannin a big run at the end of the month so i should have some flex pic's or a new post on the whoop's forum :D

Very nice!

Damn, that looks GREAT!

So how much total did you shorted the front? I'm guessing around 2" since you said the full width is about an 1" wider on each side.

Mickey

what steering linkage do you have on that? Looks good. And also, did you cut the tube exactly 6" from the end of the tube stock or where you cut the C off?

i cut the front a full 6" (well....just under but close enuff).

i cut 6" off the full length of the tube.... was easy... measure 5.750" (dont kwote me on that it's been over a year since i did it) from outside of knuckle to tube... mark line.... cut off... grind out weld and start beating till it comes out..... set housing in snow bank at -32*c fer a hour and warm up C with propane torch for 15min then slide it back on the tube and set the angle..... yer on yer own if you have a pre 78 housing and need to take the degree wedges off the housing... it was a PITA getting them back on.

the steering link's are 1.250"x3/8" wall DOM threaded left and right hand by www.ottindustries.com (100cdn ea with jamb nut's) to accept 85 chevy blazer rod end's (7/8"x18tpi) i did the tierod over and bought the correct spiral drill bit AKA reamer to do it.... with this setup the TRE's are the weak link and i have seen them bend with 40"s and hydro assist but never break. these links will easily support hydro assist when my 38"s go on :)

a lil bit O muskeg anyone?

100_6537.jpg

endless trails out here :D

100_6507.jpg

thts very cool

hard to tell but this ditch wuz about 8' across and 6' deep... i yanked the twisted old culvert out of the bottom of the creek with the winch and then watched every rig in the party bang there bumper climbing in or out.... DEEP STEEP drop off and climb out..

100_6518.jpg

100_6519.jpg

this weekend cost be a drivers side stub axle and a C5.... i took on alot of water in the first pic and some found it's way into the tranny... it's only money.... :D

looks like a fun rig. Good job on it.

-Drew

any problems with axles shafts after you spooled it.. i think i am spooling my nine inch simpley because i would rather do that and save money and spend the money (if i end up breakin stock axle shafts) on heavy duty axle shafts

no problems at all.... besides stock axle shafts are CHEAP at the local wreckers.... could carry out an arm load for $8ea on the rite weekend...
one thing to mention is that with 35 spline axle shafts you dont get nearly as much deflection on the splines as with 31 spline axle's.. stock shafts tend to get some "spool twist" on the end's and that worry's alot of people... most 9" axle failures i have seen have been mid tube or just past the splines.

dont wast your money on a mini spool... full spool or nothing IMHO... by the time you press the carrier appart and put it in yer at a shop you just payed more for a mini then a full spool.... besides... stock carriers are unpredictable.... some guys run a mini for years no issues... my friend dave blew 2 carriers in 1 day :D

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Sweet setup, man!

I'm doing research on shortened axles (someday.... someday I'll have the $$ to actually do this :rolleyes: )

I have what will probably appear to be dumb newbie questions, but:

You cut the passenger side down, right?
Did you cut the shaft down too, or is there some shaft that will work in place the the previous one?

Thanks!

Back