How common is the wheel bearing issue | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

How common is the wheel bearing issue

The link seems to have changed, at first it showed this picture, but no longer (it requires more input info to get back to this pic), but it shows for the front hub 4wd, HUB-67, over $289 and it shows that bushing. I took a pic of it, but can't upload it, and I'm not on any site to link it to help out.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Here's the image.

Seal.JPG

3: Do 4th generation Explorers have the same problem? Dunno. Check a parts supplier.
4: . . . imp

Imp: the rear wheel bearings are the identical parts for third and fourth generation Explorers (at least per Rockauto). The front hub assemblies/bearings are different between the two generations, however. I believe Ford beefed up the front suspension on the fourth gen.

BTW, I think this is an excellent topic. I want to be able to reliably drive my '02 Explorer across the US w/minimal fear of an expensive breakdown in the middle-of-nowhere. For that reason, I'm considering preemptively replacing the rear bearings now at 196k miles. Why? Well, I was surprised recently how quickly the front bearings on this truck each went out after first exhibiting symptoms (very slight noise and/or ABS trouble light on that wheel). I had to hobble home @ 25mph on the shoulder five miles from the coffee shop when there was no noise on the way there! By the time I got the truck in the garage and jacked up, I could wobble that front tire a good 1 inch side to side from the top of the tire. I was also surprised how the other front wheel bearing--which had given no signs of error until the ABS light popped on two weeks/200 miles later--failed like clockwork soon after. Thank goodness I'd already ordered a spare front wheel hub assembly from Rockauto (I like the WJB HD deal at less than $50 plus shipping; I know others will scold me for this, but so far so good).

So 195k miles for BOTH OEM front wheel bearings to fail on my '02 explorer. Carfax report on this used car purchase shows no previous bearings replaced. Can the rear bearings be that far behind?

As insurance, I bought a National rear wheel bearing to carry in the back of the truck in case one of the rears fails on a trip, so I have some chance of finding a local mechanic to repair it w/o having to order the part. I was disappointed that the National part was made in China (yeah, I know that WJB and MevoTech are Chinese parts these days; but I was hoping for Korea like the OEM Motocraft part). Another $15 for just the snapring from the Ford dealer.

After reading this thread I think I'm going to replace both rears preemptively once warm weather hits Michigan. I'll probably go with the Motorcraft part for the other rear bearing . . . .

So 195k miles for BOTH OEM front wheel bearings to fail on my '02 explorer. Carfax report on this used car purchase shows no previous bearings replaced. Can the rear bearings be that far behind?
. .
@Drewmcg
If you have not done rears before, be forewarned it's a tougher job than the fronts. The bearings are press-fitted into the spindle knuckle, and required a good axle press, as well as correct-sized bushings for pressing. Some claim they hammer out easily; mine were tight as a *****! I fortunately did not experience the sudden failure as you did. A slight growling became barely noticeable, and I continued using the vehicle for several hundreds of miles, until it finally became loud enough that I thought I could isolate the source. Was betting on differential carrier bearings, put it up on supports, had wife run it up to 30 in 4X4 HIGH, listened at center section, pinion , then wheel bearings, on the knuckles, using my long screwdriver "stethoscope". The noise was hearable without it, source impossible to pinpoint without the steth. Sure enough, left wheel bearing. This was at about 130K on the meter. Did both while I was at it. IMO, if you successfully replaced a rear "on the road", you're a cracker-jack repairman! imp

I know this is an old thread but I am looking for some advice that I probably don't want to hear. I put 2 Moog front bearings on my Ex back in early 2015 and they now have about 60-65k on them. Right front was noisy when i turned the wheel left. I couldn't really put the money out for moog right now so i bought the cheapest thing rock auto has and put it on a week ago. It was instantly noisy and has just gotten ridiculously worse with about 300 miles on it. It this normal for cheap bearings to go this fast or be bad out of the box?

Also, what brand would everyone recommend. I know people don't like moog but i think 60k for approximately $100 price tag isn't too bad. Maybe I got lucky with the ones I got. I hear Timken is now made in China. What does everyone think?

I know this is an old thread but I am looking for some advice that I probably don't want to hear. I put 2 Moog front bearings on my Ex back in early 2015 and they now have about 60-65k on them. Right front was noisy when i turned the wheel left. I couldn't really put the money out for moog right now so i bought the cheapest thing rock auto has and put it on a week ago. It was instantly noisy and has just gotten ridiculously worse with about 300 miles on it. It this normal for cheap bearings to go this fast or be bad out of the box?

Also, what brand would everyone recommend. I know people don't like moog but i think 60k for approximately $100 price tag isn't too bad. Maybe I got lucky with the ones I got. I hear Timken is now made in China. What does everyone think?
@Reklaw
Cannot confirm Chinese made name-brand bearings. But, no, quick demise of a bearing like that indicates something likely not right. Rare to get a bad new bearing, out of the box. Could you have over-torqued it? I installed the cheapest available about 3 years ago, fifty bucks each, included hub and bearings, wheel lugs installed already, and new speed sensor; both sides still nice & quiet, so I either lucked out, or something went right. imp

@Reklaw
Cannot confirm Chinese made name-brand bearings. But, no, quick demise of a bearing like that indicates something likely not right. Rare to get a bad new bearing, out of the box. Could you have over-torqued it? I installed the cheapest available about 3 years ago, fifty bucks each, included hub and bearings, wheel lugs installed already, and new speed sensor; both sides still nice & quiet, so I either lucked out, or something went right. imp

@imp I know the bolt attaching the hub assembly are torqued correctly to the knuckle. I may over over torqued the axl nut as the torque wrench I have doesn't go high enough so i set it and then tightened a little more with my breaker bar. It's just odd because I've changed these before on my Ex with no problems and I have done the bolt on kind on a cavalier without using a torque wrench and I have also pressed in bearings on an escape. I really need to pull the wheel and check it out. Though, i just saw another new post about bad bearings that i need to go check out.

I have had 3 wheel bearings replaced on my Explorer in the 4 years I have owned it.

The last one was more recent, passenger rear. It had about a quarter inch of play in it before it was replaced. (I let it go far too long)

Local Ford dealer charged $410 to replace it, along with a new snap ring. Repair has a 2 year warranty. Not a bad deal considering a dealership did it with Ford parts.

Just bought a spare front wheel hub and bearing for the front wheels of my 2010 XLT to have on the shelf when one of mine start to go (117 k miles on em so far). I keep a spare National rear bearing in the truck, too.

It's Christmas 2020...is this forum active past March 2017? I'm the original owner of my 06 explorer, ED edition, v6, 2wd and I'm about to replace my 5th set of front hubs...yes, 5th set. I keep asking everyone.. WHY? I'm sure Ford plays dumb to avoid recalls and reduced future labor charges. The hub's is the same for both 2wd & 4wd...does the absence of the front axle reduce the life of the hub? Exposure to the elements? Thanks. reynoldsohio@aol.com

It's Christmas 2020...is this forum active past March 2017? I'm the original owner of my 06 explorer, ED edition, v6, 2wd and I'm about to replace my 5th set of front hubs...yes, 5th set. I keep asking everyone.. WHY? I'm sure Ford plays dumb to avoid recalls and reduced future labor charges. The hub's is the same for both 2wd & 4wd...does the absence of the front axle reduce the life of the hub? Exposure to the elements? Thanks. reynoldsohio@aol.com

What brand have you been using? Try using SKF.

You're replacing them in pairs ("sets")? Why? How many miles on your 'sploder?
I've replaced each front bearing once on my '02 2wd which has 225k miles. (Each went bad a little over 195k.) Replaced one on my 4wd '10 'sploder @ 135k. I don't believe 2wd/4wd makes a difference.

I used WJB heavy duty (Rockauto) on the '02, and they have about 40k on them now w/o issue. Used Timken on the '10, with 10K on it so far (but bought a WJB HD as spare for when the other side goes). I'd avoid Moog.

You're replacing them in pairs ("sets")? Why? How many miles on your 'sploder?
I've replaced each front bearing once on my '02 2wd which has 225k miles. (Each went bad a little over 195k.) Replaced one on my 4wd '10 'sploder @ 135k. I don't believe 2wd/4wd makes a difference.

I used WJB heavy duty (Rockauto) on the '02, and they have about 40k on them now w/o issue. Used Timken on the '10, with 10K on it so far (but bought a WJB HD as spare for when the other side goes). I'd avoid Moog.
After doing some research this weekend.. first set was Aug/Oct 12 with just over 100k. Next set was Jul 15, may 17 and Jun 19. ..each done at various shops by skilled mechanics. 2wd and never goes off the road or tows anything other than a small utility trailer until two years ago... is there a missing dust cap or something? Thanks.

Stop replacing them in pairs. Waste of money. There is no efficiency gain by replacing two at a time. This is a job you can do in your driveway or garage (I have, three times over the years for my two explorers). If the mechanic talked you into replacing them in pairs, go to a different mechanic.
Your post caused me to order a spare WJB HD front hub/bearing from Rockauto yesterday--on closeout, under $60. I've had good luck with those (never had to replace one). Price jumps a lot after that--you may want to pick one up , too. Avoid Detroit Axle (ultra cheapo), and a lot of Moog's stuff has become iffy over recent years.

No dustcap. I've read posts speculating that improper torquing of axle nut on 4wd could cause premature wear, but there is no such nut on your 2wd. It's luck of the draw on quality of the part, and you need to avoid the low-end ones.

Did the SKF or Moog fail under warranty? Did your mechanic process the warranty exchange for a free replacement part?

Stop replacing them in pairs. Waste of money. There is no efficiency gain by replacing two at a time. This is a job you can do in your driveway or garage (I have, three times over the years for my two explorers). If the mechanic talked you into replacing them in pairs, go to a different mechanic.
Your post caused me to order a spare WJB HD front hub/bearing from Rockauto yesterday--on closeout, under $60. I've had good luck with those (never had to replace one). Price jumps a lot after that--you may want to pick one up , too. Avoid Detroit Axle (ultra cheapo), and a lot of Moog's stuff has become iffy over recent years.

No dustcap. I've read posts speculating that improper torquing of axle nut on 4wd could cause premature wear, but there is no such nut on your 2wd. It's luck of the draw on quality of the part, and you need to avoid the low-end ones.

Did the SKF or Moog fail under warranty? Did your mechanic process the warranty exchange for a free replacement part?
Thank you. Both sides are replaced because both sides are worn roughly the same time. I use different mechanics in different states. At ask for advice from different mechanics and Ford technicians. As far as I know, nothing ever Falls within warranty. Still doing research on the last set from Summer of 19. I've asked around and nobody commented either way about Detroit Axle. I'll do more research. Thank you.

Thank you. Both sides are replaced because both sides are worn roughly the same time. I use different mechanics in different states. At ask for advice from different mechanics and Ford technicians. As far as I know, nothing ever Falls within warranty. Still doing research on the last set from Summer of 19. I've asked around and nobody commented either way about Detroit Axle. I'll do more research. Thank you.
As far as I'm aware Detroit Axle is a seller of cheap ass Chinese junk among everything they sell.

As far as I'm aware Raybestos is the only brand that offers a LLT warranty on hubs.

Back