how do i burp air out of the cooling system? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

how do i burp air out of the cooling system?

Ranger379

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
middle of nowhere, PA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'99 XLT 4X4 4.0 OHV Auto
im about to change the t-stat and radiator hoses, i just read that hafter u do that you gotta burp the air out of the system, how do i do that? i read that u just let it get warm then refill it then put that cap back on, does that mean u let it get warm without the cap on? maybe im just reading it wrong but thats what it sounds like, thanks for the help

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Yes, without the red cap

Fill it up. Leae the cp off. Run the engine until the t-stat opens. You can tell when it does by the flow back into the rad. will be warm. Let run like that for a minute or so. then add water (not ice water;) ) until full. Let it run a little bit until you're sure it is going to saty at level. Then put rad cap back on. Be sure to refill your overflow also.

Dave

ok thanks, got the old drained out and omg is it dirty, i gtg to wallyworld and buy some new, but how much does it hold, dumb question sorry but it dont say in the haynes manual and i dont have owners manual. got the new t-stat in, its a ***** getting that metal pipe back on, already dropped a screw into that little place u can get to lol....

well its all done now, lower rad hose spring clamp thing self destructed itslef on the rad hose, guess thats y it was leaking, i squeezed it together and it fell apart with some of it still on the hose, i reaplaced all of them with normal clamps lol. ya its not too bad of a job, would have been alot better had it been warmer than 5 freaking degrees lol, has some issues now regaudring some crap i broke LOL should i start a new thread?

link to new thread http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?p=1602681#post1602681

having a problem now, i know its really cold out but after driving about 6-7 miles the engine is still rather cold, temp gauge is a hair below 1/4 and the rad cap is cold... outside temp is like 5degrees with negative windchill, is it sjust not hot yet b/c its so cold? thanks

Back