Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

How do I remove a 1996 Explorer door panel?

Discussion in 'Explorer Audio & Navigation' started by audionut, September 19, 2000.

• Searches ExplorerForum.com
    1. audionut

audionut New Member

City, State:
      Everett, WA
      Year, Model & Trim Level:
      96 XLT 4 X 4
      Hello,
      I just got my Rockford Fanatic FNX1514 component speakers in the mail and I'm dying to install them in my 96 Explorer 4 door, 4 X 4 XLT.

How do I remove the front door panels? I removed two screws near the door handle on the drivers side and that's all I could find. I then started prying around the perimeter of the door panel with a screwdriver to no avail. Is there another screw somewhere that I need to remove? I'd hate to destroy my door panel. Any suggestions?

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself, and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments directly to your posts and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

to hide adverts.
    3. Tony91Sport

Tony91Sport Active Member

City, State:
      St Charles, MO
      2016 Explorer Sport
      NO, no more screws, just annoying push pins. You can pull, and they WILL come out, but I wish I would have bought the tool, I suggest you do.

4. Nate46290

Nate46290 Active Member

City, State:
      Where the parties are common and the cops arn't
      1991 Explorer Sport
      Yeah just take out the screw in the upper corner and the two screws from under the door handle. Then get a flat head screw driver and have fun. When your done just pust the door pannel back on. Nothing to it.

5. audionut

audionut New Member

City, State:
      Everett, WA
      96 XLT 4 X 4
      Yep, just got the door panel off. I went out and bought a door panel removal tool ($7) as suggested and it made it much easier. It turns out I had to remove two screws and a few of the push pins, unhook a couple of cables, and the panel is history.

Now it turns out that the 5 1/4 Rockford speakers are not a slam dunk installation. It looks like I need a spacer of some sort. The original speakers used a spacer to clear the window. Looks like I'm crusin' the web for a spacer.

Thanks again,
      Carter

[Edited by audionut on 10-05-2000 at 08:01 AM]

6. audionut

audionut New Member

City, State:
      Everett, WA
      96 XLT 4 X 4
      Just an update on my Rockford speaker installation. I ended up buying a spacer from: http://store.autotoys.com/cgi-bin/wfp53024.storefront/

Autotoys has a spacer made for installing 5 1/4 speakers in the 6 x 8 opening on Ford products. All I had to do was buy some hardware to mount the speakers to the spacer. I left the original spacer in the door and just mounted the new spacer on top using the original bolts.

Check out Autotoys, it has a lot of cool harness adapters too.

Carter