How do I remove a 1996 Explorer door panel? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

How do I remove a 1996 Explorer door panel?

audionut

Reaction score
City, State
Everett, WA
Year, Model & Trim Level
96 XLT 4 X 4
Hello,
I just got my Rockford Fanatic FNX1514 component speakers in the mail and I'm dying to install them in my 96 Explorer 4 door, 4 X 4 XLT.

How do I remove the front door panels? I removed two screws near the door handle on the drivers side and that's all I could find. I then started prying around the perimeter of the door panel with a screwdriver to no avail. Is there another screw somewhere that I need to remove? I'd hate to destroy my door panel. Any suggestions?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

NO, no more screws, just annoying push pins. You can pull, and they WILL come out, but I wish I would have bought the tool, I suggest you do.

Yeah just take out the screw in the upper corner and the two screws from under the door handle. Then get a flat head screw driver and have fun. When your done just pust the door pannel back on. Nothing to it.

Yep, just got the door panel off. I went out and bought a door panel removal tool ($7) as suggested and it made it much easier. It turns out I had to remove two screws and a few of the push pins, unhook a couple of cables, and the panel is history.

Now it turns out that the 5 1/4 Rockford speakers are not a slam dunk installation. It looks like I need a spacer of some sort. The original speakers used a spacer to clear the window. Looks like I'm crusin' the web for a spacer.

Thanks again,
Carter

[Edited by audionut on 10-05-2000 at 08:01 AM]

Just an update on my Rockford speaker installation. I ended up buying a spacer from: Dead Link Removed

Autotoys has a spacer made for installing 5 1/4 speakers in the 6 x 8 opening on Ford products. All I had to do was buy some hardware to mount the speakers to the spacer. I left the original spacer in the door and just mounted the new spacer on top using the original bolts.

Check out Autotoys, it has a lot of cool harness adapters too.

Carter

Back