1. for access to reviews and discussion of the 2016 and 2017 Ford Explorer, Tech Tips, How to Articles, Off-Road Modification, Events, and more!

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

How do I stop the beeping?

Discussion in 'Stock 1991 - 1994 Explorers' started by grandpaford, October 5, 2009.

• Searches ExplorerForum.com
    1. grandpaford

grandpaford New Member

Hello Enthusiasts,

I'm not sure if this is the right place to post this, but I guess it's worth as shot. I have a 1993 Explorer, and it always beeps when I open the driver side door. The actual problem is the key lock cylinder. The truck thinks that the key is still in the ignition switch when its not, and so the alert sounds ANYTIME the door is open. (I always thought this alert was an annoying feature of Fords, even when working properly).

At any rate, I would like to turn this alert off completely. Does anyone know the best way to disable this beeping? Perhaps a fuse I can remove, or a wire I can disconnect? I never want this vehicle to beep at me ever again for anything.

Thank you for your time.

Last edited: October 5, 2009
    2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 a year

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose and fix problems yourself, and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, add your own profile photo, upload photo attachments directly to your posts and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

to hide adverts.
    3. Slowlyvverot

Slowlyvverot Active Member

City, State:
      Greensboro, NC
      Year and Model:
      93 ExElTee
      I hated the beeping too. In my 93, there is a box underneath the center of the dash with a bunch of wires going into it. Pull out the black wire and that should stop the beeping. This will also cause the Fasten Seat Belt light to always be on, but it doesn't bother me.

4. grandpaford

grandpaford New Member

It turned out to be an easy fix. I located the box that was beeping, and unplugged the wires going into it. No more beep.

5. Currency

Currency Active Member

City, State:
      Bedford Indiana
      Year and Model:
      94 XLT 4x4
      Mine does the same thing but it's caused by the ignition not being in the correct position which is caused by general wear and tear on the ignition switch over 15 year's.

6. KobeJ05

KobeJ05 Active Member

City, State:
      Marina, CA
      Year and Model:
      1994 explorer 157k miles
      whats weird is if i have my key in the ignition my drivers door wont make it chime its all the other rest of the doors that make it chime.