How do i take a driverside door panel off my 1994 Explorer?? Please Help | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

How do i take a driverside door panel off my 1994 Explorer?? Please Help

1994-Xplorer

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
1994 XLT Eddie Bauer
I need to remove the drivers side door panel in my 1994 Explorer and the panel wont come off. :mad: I took out 3 screws and i dont want to tug on it too hard and make it break, what should i do. Need Help

Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

actually you are very close to having it all the way off. there are about 8 plastic rods with little tiny plastic teeth on them that are pushed into drilled holes on the door. basically use a flat head and stick it between the plastic pannel and the metal part of the door and feel for the plastic rods. then just pry them off. make sure you are as close to the rod as possible or else you could crack it. and dont be too afraid to pry with some force.

-D

A flat blade will work, but you can also get a trim panel tool from autozone for a few bucks that will give you more surface area to pry on. It may also save the door panel from getting marred up by the flat blade. While your at autozone, go ahead and buy you some more trim panel clips. Due to the age of the truck, your bound to break a few. I didnt care if I broke mine and just used a few 3in sheet metal screws to hold my panel back in place. I have grey interior, so the grey head kindof blends in.

When I was removing mine I just yanked... hard... it popped off fairly well, and I didn't break any clips... just make sure you've undone all the screws... I don't know about the XLT, but some of them can be sneaky...

I use a big screw driver as a pry bar. Now i just rip it off. Pull hard and it will come off. Pull around the edges not with the door handle. i broke one that way

I searched and found this post, now I must ask, how difficult is it to put them back on? The 1994 I just bought, all the windows have issues, so I intend to just replace whatever I need inside the door. Never done anything like this, should be frustrating enough I suppose.

I searched and found this post, now I must ask, how difficult is it to put them back on? The 1994 I just bought, all the windows have issues, so I intend to just replace whatever I need inside the door. Never done anything like this, should be frustrating enough I suppose.

It should be simple to put them back on -- a couple of screws, and the push pins. Just don't lose the screws while you're working on the insides of the door.

One thing to re-emphasize, is what gatorblazer said in 2007, earlier in this thread -- many times the old pushpins will have their "branches" worn off, and if so the panel will mount up, but it won't be very secure -- and may vibrate. You can find replacement push pins at an auto parts store.

Be warned All the fasteners at the auto stores only fit some doors. In order to get what you need you will have to buy kits that have several sizes included & then match them up. At that point you likely will not have enough to replace & you'll have to buy another kit & then use only those that fit.
Your better off getting a big pack on Ebay.
Also note that when you screw the window switches back to the bracket, DO NOT tighten them down hard as you will break the holes & they will no long attach.
Depending on your door the little slots the fasteners rest in might break. Old Ford plastic. Not much you can do once done.

Back