• Register Today It's free!

How do I take off.....

mdriggan

Reaction score
City, State
Little Rock, AR
Year, Model & Trim Level
'97 Explorer Expedition
the black plastic ring around the keypad on the drivers door? I am thinking about painting it white to match the color of the truck, but Im unsure how to take it off without damaging anything.

Thanks for any help!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I don't know that the plastic trim is removable - i thought it was all one piece. The whole thing, i believe, can be removed by taking off a couple nuts on the inside of the door.

Yeah thats what I was afraid of. Its not worth going through that much trouble. Thanks for the response.

MONMIX will probably know!

-Drew

Why not mask it off and paint it in place?

Thanks DMB and yes I do know and it is cake.

Remove the door panel.
Reach up inside there and you will feel an L shaped slide clip holding the loch cylinder in place. Slide it towards the front of the door.
Nine time out of ten your bare hand is plenty, but every now and then you get a stubborn one, in which grabing it with pliers will do the trick.

Some have wires going to them. They can be a little tricky. Slide the lock cyliners out enough to expose the plastic clip you will see three " prongs " across the top of the lock cynd. the two out side ones have little feet on them. Using two small screw drivers, push out gently on one prong wile pushing the other behind the cynd. It should walk right off.

To undo the linkage just push the cynd out the door and " walk " is up the linkage rod.

Cake.

To go back together so it in the SAME order.
Put the cynd in ( with the open part facing DOWN ) slide on the L shaped retainer.
Snap on the little harness.
Snap on the linkage.
Put the door panel back on.

spindlecone said:
Why not mask it off and paint it in place?

Ickey ooie paint edges :(

MONMIX said:
Thanks DMB and yes I do know and it is cake.

Remove the door panel.
Reach up inside there and you will feel an L shaped slide clip holding the loch cylinder in place....

To go back together so it in the SAME order.
Put the cynd in ( with the open part facing DOWN ) slide on the L shaped retainer.
Snap on the little harness.
Snap on the linkage.
Put the door panel back on.

All that and not even what he was asking for ;)

Although he may want to do that as well, he was asking about the plastic trim around the numbered keypad :D

Oh the number pad.

Same thing just about :)

L-shaped slide clip on one end, and a " hook " on the other.
The clip is towards the front of the door and obviously the " hook " is to the back.

Back