Dismiss Notice

and gain access to Reviews and Discussion of the 2016 and 2017 Ford Explorer Tech Tips, How to Articles, Off-Road Modifications and Events, Street Truck Mods and Events, and much more! Since 1996 our community has covered every aspect of the Ford Explorer, Ford Ranger and all vehicles based on this platform.

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

how do you tell if a cv joint in the front driveshaft is bad?

Discussion in 'Offroad Drivelines' started by mercuryman97, January 22, 2005.

• Searches ExplorerForum.com
    1. mercuryman97

mercuryman97 Active Member

City, State:
      greenville,sc
      Year and Model:
      1997 Mercury Mountaineer
      i have a 1997 mercury mountaineer.....and it has been making a bad clunking and popping noise and a jerky feeling when the front driveshaft is in....so i removed it and replaced all the ujoints and the problem still exists so i removed the driveshaft again.....so someone told me it could be the cv joint in the front driveshaft....so now i want to know how i can tell if the cv joint is bad and how to change it if it is bad.....pics would be great but not necessary?thanks

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 a year

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose and fix problems yourself, and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, add your own profile photo, upload photo attachments directly to your posts and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

to hide adverts.
    3. gavin

gavin Elite Explorer

City, State:
      Anchorage, Alaska
      Year and Model:
      '97 Explorer XLT AWD 5.0L
      those noises would be the front driveshaft. With it installed, jerk the shaft around at the t-case... if there is a bit of movement, and you can hear clanking, then the CV joint is shot. And that joint is not replaceable, you gotta be a new d/s. The one I need, from FordPartsNetwork, is around $400... I've heard of a replacement that uses a u-joint instead of CV joint, and includes an adapter for changing to that style d/s, but haven't seen or found one myself.

4. agallant

agallant Active Member

City, State:
      Boston, MA
      Year and Model:
      2000 XLT
      I had the front drive shaft go on my 2000. Did the same exace thing. One thing you can try is tak the drive shaft out. If the noise goes away there you go. I drove with mine out for about a year. Any way when i called ford for a replacment the wanted over $600 for just the part. I ended up getting one at a junk yard for $75. Just a word of advice, if you drive around with out the front driveshaft in and decide to put one in at a later date, chase the threds with a tap and remember that you have to do a few turns with the tap and back it out. I snapped a bolt off in my t-case and broke a tap aswell.

-AG

5. ExplorerDMB

ExplorerDMB Moderator/Technician Moderator Emeritus

City, State:
      Mechanicsville, Virginia
      Year and Model:
      2004 Acura TL
      I'm changing my front driveshaft to a u-joint driveshaft with a double cardan yoke - to compensate for the lift. I have a '95 driveshaft in the garage with a D.C. on it and a slip joint, so it should work out just fine. The CV-joint in the Explorers aren't really that strong in my opinion. That is one reason why I'm changing and getting away from those.

-Drew

6. agallant

agallant Active Member

City, State:
      Boston, MA
      Year and Model:
      2000 XLT
      Where did you get it?

-AG

7. ExplorerDMB

ExplorerDMB Moderator/Technician Moderator Emeritus

City, State:
      Mechanicsville, Virginia
      Year and Model:
      2004 Acura TL
      It's a special adapter - I got it from a guy off the board, I don't know if you can find them. Good luck. I wuld just purchase the driveshaft from superlift - they'll work just as great.

-Drew

8. gavin

gavin Elite Explorer

City, State:
      Anchorage, Alaska
      Year and Model:
      there is another thread floating around here where I posted 2 dif places where you can buy the u-joint style d/s and it comes with the adapter.. around $300 I believe... wether or not that includes a core charge I'm not sure... lemme see if I can find the thread

9. gavin

gavin Elite Explorer

City, State:
      Anchorage, Alaska
      Year and Model:
      http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=127181

but.. the reply I received from Rockford is that the price I had there was not for the u-joint style I guess.. it's actually around $350 for that one.. but anywhere, there's a couple places to contact.