and gain access to Reviews and Discussion of the 2016 and 2017 Ford Explorer Tech Tips, How to Articles, Off-Road Modifications and Events, Street Truck Mods and Events, and much more! Since 1996 our community has covered every aspect of the Ford Explorer, Ford Ranger and all vehicles based on this platform.

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

How does one remove the rear wiper arm?

Discussion in 'Stock 1995 - 2001 Explorers' started by Brandon96, May 8, 2009.

• Searches ExplorerForum.com
    1. Brandon96

Brandon96 Well-Known Member

City, State:
      Central Virginia
      Year and Model:
      '96 XLT 4.0 OHV
      Thats probably the most stupid question you've read all year, but I've been repainting the wiper arms, wiper cowls and roof rack on my explorer tonight because they're severely faded and chipping...

I get around to the rear wiper arm, and I thoouught there would just be a little tab I press in and it would glide right off, I'm so wrong arn't I? I see a little tab at the base of the arm, and I stuck my key in there and pulled it back, then tried to slide the wiper off the mount, but it don't budge...

I looked through here, nothing helped me, any help?

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 a year

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose and fix problems yourself, and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, add your own profile photo, upload photo attachments directly to your posts and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

to hide adverts.
    3. celly

celly disturber of the peace Elite Explorer

City, State:
      calgary
      Year and Model:
      99 eb 5.0 awd
      There is a one bolt holding it to the motor. You need to flip up a plastic cover to get at it. The cover seems pretty tight, but it will flip off (hinged) with a bit of effort. Don't forgoet to unplug the hose.

4. RickMar

RickMar Active Member

City, State:
      N. Andover Massachusetts
      Year and Model:
      99 Mercury Mountaineer
      Once you loosen and remove the retaining nut your almost done.
      Grip around the arm in the area where the retainer nut was...the arm is engaged over a fine toothed splined end-shaft there.

Pull with a little presssure as straight as you can toward you ...you might also need to use a little rocking motion too while pulling. You just have to work the arm off the sline shaft and your done.
      I hope this helps.
      Rick

5. MNgopher

MNgopher Active Member

City, State:
      Lakeville, MN
      Year and Model:
      '07 XLT V8
      My 97 Wiper Arm removal didn't require undoing any retaining nuts or bolts. Press the tab in at the base, and slide it off. I had to use PB blaster on mine to get it to slide off - it wasn't budging before I did that.

6. celly

celly disturber of the peace Elite Explorer

City, State:
      calgary
      Year and Model:
      99 eb 5.0 awd
      My bad, I forgot they redesigned the ass end of the Exploder in '98 (I've got a '99). The rear wiper setup is different in the 95-97 part of the 2nd gen.

7. Brandon96

City, State:
      Central Virginia
      Year and Model:
      '96 XLT 4.0 OHV
      Haha Celly, I spent about 45 minutes last night staring at the wiper arm going, "Where is this plastic cap? I'll pull here.. nope.. ok how about here.. nope." It kept me entertained needless to say..

I have a picture of the clip I beleive your speaking of, supposedly you just pull back on it and theoretically it should slip off right? this thing will nooot come off!!:mad:

[​IMG]

Am I right? I just want to make sure i'm doing nothign wrong.. I understand wiper motors/arms are really expensive

8. RickOTR

RickOTR Active Member

Year and Model:
      1997 Explorer Sport 4X4

You see that little tag next to the wiper arm bolt, take a small flat bladded screw driver and pull it forward (towards the wiper blade) then with a large flat bladded screw driver carefully pry it of the bolt. It may be a little difficult to get off, especially if it's been on there for a while, but it will come off just like the front ones.

9. Brandon96

City, State:
      Central Virginia
      Year and Model:
      '96 XLT 4.0 OHV
      ahh screw driver trick = WIN!, Thanks RickOTR!

10. NJMike

NJMike New Member

City, State:
      Somerville, NJ
      Year and Model:
      '97 Mountaineer 5.0L AWD
      Stubborn wiper arm

I've also found they can be hard to pull off even with the clip pulled out of the way. One way I figured out was to use a body panel removal tool. It fits perfectly between the arm and the body and around the shaft. A little downward pressure and the arm slides right off.

NJMike

11. 97sprt4x4

97sprt4x4 Active Member

City, State:
      Jerz
      Year and Model:
      06 Mazda3 GT
      My suggestion to you, is spray it with pb blaster/WD40 and beat it with something, then pull... it'll eventually come off... if they've never been off like mine, they take some persuasion, possibly a BFH:hammer:

12. Brandon96

City, State:
      Central Virginia
      Year and Model:
      '96 XLT 4.0 OHV
      I got it off thanks to Rick's screw driver trick.. hahah

I did paint everything that I needed to, you can check it out HERE if your bored..