and gain access to Reviews and Discussion of the 2016 and 2017 Ford Explorer Tech Tips, How to Articles, Off-Road Modifications and Events, Street Truck Mods and Events, and much more! Since 1996 our community has covered every aspect of the Ford Explorer, Ford Ranger and all vehicles based on this platform.

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

How does Select Shift Work?

Discussion in 'Stock 2011 - 2017 Ford Explorer Discussion' started by TaosBob, March 26, 2011.

• Searches ExplorerForum.com
    1. TaosBob

TaosBob New Member

City, State:
      Taos, NM
      I read a thread asking about starting off in second gear with Select Shift. The consensus was "yes" you could do this. Does it follow that you could start off in third or any other gear?

The reason I ask is that I own a WK Grand Cherokee and the transmission allows you to select the highest gear that it will go into. If you're climbing a hill and want to stay in fourth gear, you select fourth (downshift twice from Overdrive). Your range of gears is then 1-4. If you select third, your range is 1-3. It is not possible to select the lowest gear--that is always first gear. Do the transmissions operate differently on the 2011 Explorer or are some posters mistaken about the way it works?

Thanks in advance.

Bob

ps: What's with these links defining random words for me? Do we really need that and can I get rid of it? (I have a feeling the answer involves "Elite Explorer." ;))

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 a year

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose and fix problems yourself, and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, add your own profile photo, upload photo attachments directly to your posts and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

to hide adverts.
    3. JDraper

JDraper Somewhat Functional Moderator Emeritus

City, State:
      McVeytown, PA
      Year and Model:
      '11 XLT
      From a standstill in manual mode, you can only start in 1st or 2nd gear. It will not allow you to start above that. In manual mode, you control the gears completely (I.E. if you put it in 4th, it will stay in 4th until you toggle the shifter) unless the rpm's get too high or too low. At that point the vehicle overrides the drivers gear choice to protect the vehicle. This doesn't work like the vehicle you mentioned.

Yes, the answer to your other question does involve being Elite :)