1. for access to reviews and discussion of the 2016 and 2017 Ford Explorer, Tech Tips, How to Articles, Off-Road Modification, Events, and more!

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

How hard is a thermostat change?

Discussion in 'Stock 2006 -2010 Explorers' started by MemphisEdge, January 16, 2012.

• Searches ExplorerForum.com
    1. MemphisEdge

MemphisEdge New Member

City, State:
      Collierville, TN
      Year and Model:
      2007 Ford Explorer
      My wife's '07 Explorer 4.0 is showing error code P0128. It looks like it is either the thermostat or hte temperature sensor mounted just behind it. My question is this:

I know the thermostat is in a 3-bolt plastic housing between the intake and the upper hose. Can I let the car sit overnight so the system has no pressure and simply take off the 3 bolts to access the thermostat? I really don't want to drain the whole system and looking for ways to make this easier.

Thanks,
      Todd

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 a year

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose and fix problems yourself, and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, add your own profile photo, upload photo attachments directly to your posts and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

to hide adverts.
    3. Bill MacLeod

Bill MacLeod Active Member

City, State:
      Hamilton, Ontario
      Year and Model:
      06 Ltd V-8
      I find it easier to just drain the rad down a half bucket, remove upper hose, then remove thermostat housing. Can you access the housing without removing the upper intake?

4. ExpBen06

ExpBen06 New Member

Year and Model:
      2006 Explorer XLS
      Thats what I did, drained the coolant a little, disconnected upper hose from the radiator end, and swapped out the thermostat. Yes, it's accessible without removing anything else. Three quick bolts, and 28 ft-lbs of torque going back on, I think.