How many miles on your 2ND GEN EX? | Page 31 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

How many miles on your 2ND GEN EX?

Post number 869 has been selected as best answered.

Can't say mine uses no oil....bout a qt. every 1.5K miles....I can live with that. The "Runs rough..maybe mis-firing" when cold HAS been an issue for couple years tho......cant seem to get far enough ahead $$-wise to get the 4 oxy sensors and EGR work done....:mad: Tried an O2 sensor ONCE.....never again.....:mad:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Update: Just turned 260,000! Still running strong. Does need some front suspension work ( UCA's, swaybar bushings, hubs) but I love how this truck has taken care of me over the past 5 years.

This April 2000 4.0L OHV has joined the 200,000 club last night. No plans to sell or replace.

My 96 rolled past the 300.000 mile mark a few weeks ago. The "new" engine has about 40,000 less and it is out of a 95. I have owen this truck for the last 4 years and put quite a few miles on her and she still does the job

252,x.. and going strong. I have a gen3 4.0 ford reman I will be putting in it come spring. Motor only has 20k on it. Need to find another trans want to do motor and trans at the same time.

I'm No Help

I am no help when it comes to serving as an example of longevity since my 2000 XLS only has 88,000 miles on it. I got it from my best friend for the trade value the dealer offered him as trade against his new 2014 Explorer.
I did read this thread to see what I could expect from mine.

198,x..

I finally dug into my bottom end to change my rod and main bearings due to some knocking and low oil pressure. I have been working on it only when I have time, which isn't very often (mainly on the weekends). It still has excellent power and compression and doesn't burn any oil, so I left the top side alone. Yes, I'm doing all of this work from underneath the X without pulling the engine. The AC is still hooked up and I raised the engine and supported it from above, removed the drivetrain, steering and suspension. The rear main seal needed to be changed anyway, so I decided to take this route. I will admit that it was way more work than I thought it would be, and if I were to do it again, I would just pull the engine. Ya, I know what you all must be thinking, but what's done is done. I can't wait to get it back together and get another 100K out of her. :eek:

My '97 xlt 2wd has 245,108 and is still a strong runner. Neither engine nor trans been cracked open. Only main issue other than normal replacement things, was that the thermostat housing nipple on back broke off and was a bit of a pain to replace, Have also replaced the alt , 2 O2 sensors, brake rotors, rear parking brake cable, some interior door handles, radiator tanks(cracked), and a couple of broken ground wires. With a full tank of gas and fresh oil change, I will drive it from full to empty, and fill the gas back up and drive it more!

Mine still has relatively low miles compared to others here. Just turned 185,000 on Friday.

265,100 kms so 165,687 miles. Rockers are rotted, PS rack leaks, has new engine about 15k ago... Paid 2000 Dec 2014 and put about 2000 into it.

New gas tank, fuel pump, straps, rear diff fluid, trans fluid, front diff fluid, HM oil 10-30, new tie rods in and out, Driver upper c arm, passenger lower BJ, rear shackles, new transmission cooler hoses (from trans to rad) brakes all around, new shocks, fuel filter, new e brake and lines, all new brake lines, new 30x9.5 tire, new plugs wires and ignition module, accessory belt, top idler, hood shocks, rear glass window pivots. Theres a bunch more stuff too long to list... Shes a great machine otherwise..

Currently sitting at 180k for mine. Nothing out of the ordinary - UBJ's a few years ago, inner tie rods this weekend, fresh set of tires last week. Otherwise just your standard upkeep!

265,100 kms so 165,687 miles. Rockers are rotted, PS rack leaks, has new engine about 15k ago... Paid 2000 Dec 2014 and put about 2000 into it.

New gas tank, fuel pump, straps, rear diff fluid, trans fluid, front diff fluid, HM oil 10-30, new tie rods in and out, Driver upper c arm, passenger lower BJ, rear shackles, new transmission cooler hoses (from trans to rad) brakes all around, new shocks, fuel filter, new e brake and lines, all new brake lines, new 30x9.5 tire, new plugs wires and ignition module, accessory belt, top idler, hood shocks, rear glass window pivots. Theres a bunch more stuff too long to list... Shes a great machine otherwise..

Sounds good, but you should have changed that rack and pinion steering gear when the engine got overhauled because the engine has to be raised up at least 8 inches to get it out. I know, because I had to remove the whole drivetrain and raise the engine to get mine out. :eek:

Over 824,000 Miles

This guy claims he has over 824,000 miles... and that was back in 2008. I found this on an old thread.
DSCF1524.jpg

Here's a link to the thread:
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=231470&highlight=cleaning+engines

146,000 miles and still going strong on my 99 XLT SOHC. I am the original owner, done all maintenance myself.

The only serious issue that happened to me was 2 years ago when my Serpentine belt tensioner disintegrated while on the highway. I heard a loud bang. Next thing I know I see pieces of metal flying in my rear view mirror. I had no idea what happened, but when I realized I had no more power steering and my ALT light was on, I figured it had something to do with the belt.

Luck for me, an Auto Zone was nearby. I limped there right before the car was about to overheat ( because water pump and fan was not turning). They had a tensioner in stock, and they were nice enough to let me borrow a few tools to get back on the road again.

'01 Sport with 144,000 "Job One" 4.0 engine runs great - this vehicle was given to me by family member so since December have got after a lot of issues including: tuneup-plugs, wires, and coilpack; new tires, rear hatch latch, rear wiper motor, replaced cruise control buttons, re-painted rear bumper, replaced all body mounts rubber, fixed niggling multi-function switch wire harness binding, replaced radio/cd/two front speakers and missing rear view mirror, cleaned throttle body, and replaced fuel filter, IAC valve.
Still to get to is replacing hail damaged hood, and fixing two dents, one in each rear quarter panel. A little harvest gold paint and she'll be standing tall again! Definitely a keeper imho...

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

163,000 on our 1995 Explorer Sport which we've owned since new, full service history. All regular maintenance done by me. Local indie garage recently fixed camshaft sensor. Also had new clutch and transmission rebuild at 130k. Engine is still going great. Last year I replaced the front control arms and lower balljoints. We are very fond of this car; we took it with us to Europe 18 years ago and then brought it back with us to California in 2005. I can almost guarantee this is only Ford Explorer that has driven both to the Grand Canyon and the Eiffel Tower. Hoping it will last many more years!

Back