How many miles on your 3RD GEN! orig. tranny???? | Page 10 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

How many miles on your 3RD GEN! orig. tranny????

Isn't there a fix?

I remember swapping out the old GM "metric" TH200 and TH250 transmissions in the late 70's and early 80's cars for the stronger TH350/400 automatics. I did a ton of them on the Monte Carlo/Regal style cars. They were almost a direct replacement other than a few minor differences. Isn't there a tranny that can replace this one that does not have these issues? What about one out of the expidition or a F150/250? Anyone ever tried that or will it completely screw up the computer and require a whole bunch of expensive work.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hello everyone original owner of 02 XLT V6 whit 210k I've never done any work on the trans before only replacing the fluid 3 times.Just comeback for a trip from Houston to Atlanta,NC and Washington DC back to Houston. and the explorer still ruining great(to bad cos I want to get a 2011 but it looks like the 02 still going to rung for a long time ;) bad in a good way. )

140,000 on mine and is still shiftin like it always has. I occasionally pull the boat with it.

knocking on wood... but almost at 180K on orig tranny. only things ever replaced- rack and pinion and alternator around 120K.. 1 flush @110K just cause I kept forgetting. going next week for my second flush and fluid change- but I HAVE put almost 2K into suspension work... but off roading in surburban areas will do that...

Just turned mine in for the new tranny....

Like I mentioned before, mine was going out at 155K. I decided to go with a brand new trans. I turn it over to a Ford dealer nearby work and get a phone call this morning about the tires I am running,2 new in the rear and 2 good used on the front. the broken rear spring (that I knew about on the lowest coil). Then another call about the "burnt" seal and the leaking seal on the transfer case and how it had "obviously overheated". Of course they offered me a used one for 500 bucks. I would think that when you get a brand new tranny they would replace the transfer case seals being that it bolts to the tranny. The guy said my transfer case had obviously overheated and that is when I through the B.S. flag at him. I started out as a vehicle mechanic and have now moved on to working on UH-60 Black Hawk helicopters. I probably should have told him I was a mechanic to begin with to avoid the attemped screwing. I told him to change the seals and put it back in. After I informed him of my job experience he started to tap dance. I will see what he has to say about that tomorrow.

Like I mentioned before, mine was going out at 155K. I decided to go with a brand new trans. I turn it over to a Ford dealer nearby work and get a phone call this morning about the tires I am running,2 new in the rear and 2 good used on the front. the broken rear spring (that I knew about on the lowest coil). Then another call about the "burnt" seal and the leaking seal on the transfer case and how it had "obviously overheated". Of course they offered me a used one for 500 bucks. I would think that when you get a brand new tranny they would replace the transfer case seals being that it bolts to the tranny. The guy said my transfer case had obviously overheated and that is when I through the B.S. flag at him. I started out as a vehicle mechanic and have now moved on to working on UH-60 Black Hawk helicopters. I probably should have told him I was a mechanic to begin with to avoid the attemped screwing. I told him to change the seals and put it back in. After I informed him of my job experience he started to tap dance. I will see what he has to say about that tomorrow.

Nice:thumbsup: funny.. I just changed out the filter along with the fluid in the pan in my 5R55W. The magnet was clean! I've got 84k on my original.

This is my first post here since I joined back in Nov. A lot to read here! I'm the second owner of an 02 Explorer. Purchased it with 86k on it. I have now passed 104k and I have now gotten the blinking OD light of death(as I believe someone called it). It seems that now the transmission will not shift into 4th or OD. This is the original tranny as far as I know. I called a good transmission place and explained what I was getting and he said "oh..', and I said Oh what? He said that without looking at it that I was probably looking at least 2k to fix. Is this par for the course?
At the same time, the 'Service Engine Soon' light is now lit. Anyone know if this would lite due to the tranny problem? Or do I have more problems coming?
I take it in on Monday to have it looked at. Boy I hope its not too much bad news.

On my old 03 exp i had 130k on the original tranny, had 90k miles when i got it, mostly highway miles, i beat the snot out of that thing, i got it stuck in everything from mud to sand to sand to rocks (i actually high centered the tranny right on a huge rock) and the thing still was going strong when i hit a tree and banged it up a little...

i ended up selling it, but i still see it around, new owner says it now has 185k and its starting to shift funny, but as i dont own the car anymore i couldn't tell ya.

if you respect your car, it will respect you, take care of it and it should be fine

This is my first post here since I joined back in Nov. A lot to read here! I'm the second owner of an 02 Explorer. Purchased it with 86k on it. I have now passed 104k and I have now gotten the blinking OD light of death(as I believe someone called it). It seems that now the transmission will not shift into 4th or OD. This is the original tranny as far as I know. I called a good transmission place and explained what I was getting and he said "oh..', and I said Oh what? He said that without looking at it that I was probably looking at least 2k to fix. Is this par for the course?
At the same time, the 'Service Engine Soon' light is now lit. Anyone know if this would lite due to the tranny problem? Or do I have more problems coming?
I take it in on Monday to have it looked at. Boy I hope its not too much bad news.

That's almost word for word how it went for me, twice I might add. At any rate, the OD light is the Check Engine light of the transmission; if that makes any sence to you. Usually when that blinks, the tranny needs rebuilding/replacing. Mine was an 02 as well. Also, there is a Service Bulletin for that year's tranny. If you have it rebuilt, make sure they make the factory modifications if your tranny doesn't already have it. Unfortuneatly, I don't remember the exact nature of the S. Bulletin.

The shop I took mine to replaced the electrical and vacuum modules regardless of thier condition and charged me $1900 totlal. That included the Factory Service Bulletin mods as well. I still got screwed, it went out exaclly 13 months after rebuild. They charged me another 900 to fix it again. No offence to any trans shop owners here but I have never met one with integrity or honesty yet and over the years I've had to deal with many.

Honestly I would not have them rebuild the one you have in there. I would (and I did) get a rebuilt right from Ford. I know its a bit of money but I have not seen many people that have gone to shops and spent a boat load of money to have their trans rebuilt and not have further problems. I got a Ford rebuilt in my 05 with a 3 year, 100k mi warranty installed with all new guts and cooler for just south of $4k.

Usually the shops that rebuild the transmissions simply don't have the knowledge, tools and parts to fix them right. These Ford transmissions are fussy and if not done properly will just cause you more headaches.

What would you rather have; the transmission that was rebuilt by some kid that just got hired after getting fired from Jiffy Lube or a transmission that was rebuilt by someone that only rebuilds Ford transmissions?

I know there are many good transmission shops out there, I have yet to find one.

Just my opinion.

I'm just shy of 139,000 miles and just got her back from the tranny shop today. On Tuesday, I was driving her nice and easy, when all of a sudden it sounded like someone was shaking a can of rocks underneath my car. $2,600 for a rebuild, and she's good as new.

Tranny "bumps twice"

I just had my '02 Explorer tranny replace with a new one by Ford last week at 155K. With an oil change and lube it was $3700. The new one still doesn't feel like it shifts right. It "bumps twice" when it shifts gears, especially when it is cold. I don't care though, if it blows up, they have to fix it. If it keeps doing it I might have them take a look at it. What I mean is that it feels like it shifts twice going from gear to gear. It also doesnt want to go to fifth gear like it should on the highway.

Only have 115k on my 02 with V8 but frequently tow a fully loaded two axle trailer loaded close to max rated capacity of truck. So far no problems.

2002 Eddie Bauer V6 4X4

Hey guys, mine has 231k on the clock and still counting. Transmission is still original. I am however having a power surge problem under the hood.. Everytime at night when I let off the gas, the headlights get dimmer.. They likewise get much brighter when gas is applied.. Any ideas on how to remedy that? Alternator was replaced in '09 and has lifetime warranty.. I just had the battery replaced under warranty last night.. 1000 ca/ 850 cca.. Any and all help will be much appreciated.. Thank you.

Hey guys, mine has 231k on the clock and still counting. Transmission is still original. I am however having a power surge problem under the hood.. Everytime at night when I let off the gas, the headlights get dimmer.. They likewise get much brighter when gas is applied.. Any ideas on how to remedy that? Alternator was replaced in '09 and has lifetime warranty.. I just had the battery replaced under warranty last night.. 1000 ca/ 850 cca.. Any and all help will be much appreciated.. Thank you.

Tim,

That's a lot of miles on that tranny - congrats.

However, the problem you describe does not sound like a tranny to me. This thread may not get you the attention you need/help you are requesting.

I recommend that you start a new thread in the section that matches your truck's year(s), and good luck.

(BTW, I grew up in Madison Ct, KY. A little cold there it seems right now.)

Mr EasyRhino,
My problem was never presented as a transmission issue.. I merely put it out there in the hopes that any of you reading my post might know the cause and/or solution.. I didn't feel starting a completely new thread was necessary. It is extremely cold here in Madison Co., I like to froze to death the night before last changing a flat tire..

2002 Limited W/ 4.6 115.000 mi. Omly issue is every once in a while it will slam in reverse. Never changed the fluid.

Tranny oil change

2002 Limited W/ 4.6 115.000 mi. Omly issue is every once in a while it will slam in reverse. Never changed the fluid.

You are not doing the tranny any good by not changing the fluid. I change mine every 75k. Especially with the history of these they need all the help they can get.

03 XLT with nearly 150k on it, replaced the tranny around 130 =( 4k worth of deployment money but was nice to come home to something i could drive.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

'03 XLT 4.0 v6, bought it with 47k miles, 3.5 years ago.. it now has 156k miles Still going strong so far. I have used it with a small trailer & a tow dolly on many occasions... and a few times with a 24ft Camper... had trans flush & filter done sometime after 100k miles.. nothing out of the ordinary so far.. still going strong.

Back