How many miles will an explorer go for? | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

How many miles will an explorer go for?

I have 163k miles on my '93 with nothing but normal maintnance, and a clutch. There are even some people around here who claim to have in the upper 300k's on their ex. Most of the tranny horror stories are with the old a4ld, and a lot of them seem to have dissapeared when they redesigned it. Also, the v6's are made in cologne, germany by ford, but the rest of the truck is made in kentucky if i remember correctly.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Lol after 350000 miles on my gfs explorer 96 4.0 finally blew a head gasket last month

I recently bought my '02 Limited V8 with 224,000 miles on it. The trucklet runs and drives very nicely. There are some oil leaks- not sure how far I'll chase those- and I need to have an A/C leak found and fixed, but everything else seems just fine.

My 02 Eddie Bauer 4.0L V6 had 163k miles when someone smashed into the rear end and totaled it. No one in my vehicle was even remotely injured in the accident. I bought the truck with 100k miles and in the 63k I put on it only had to do the brakes and rear wheel bearings one time. Other than that just routine maintenance.

At 163k miles it was still getting 18 town 22 freeway for mpg and did not use a drop of oil.

My only advice is make sure you get one that has the 2" tow package. They have better gear ratios and seem to be more robust. This is just from my personal experience with them.

Wow, digging up posts from the Bush years

:eek:

It would be neat though to see how all these guys explorers are still holding up.

For the record -- My (wife's) '03 Aviator has 148k and is running very well. Since it got a new transmission installed by the previous owner at 135k I'm hoping we'll be able to rely on it up to and beyond 200k.

Had a 1992 Exp. It had close to 400k on it when I traded it in. Gas, tires, oil, filters and an alternator (1). As far as I know, it had factory plugs in it the whole time. It literally ran like it was brand new.

I have 230K on my 2004 Limited AWD. I've had some of the traditional problems. The rear end was replaced once and needed it again 50K ago but I'm just letting it go. The tranny is original and has never had any work done on it. The shifting is getting worse and worse. I figure I'm trying to drive it for about 6 more months and then I'm done. Hopefully everything holds up until then!

I've got an 03 XLT that's about to hit 180k. Had the tranny redone at 145k, and my AC clutch replaced last year. Other than little stuff like ball joints and the little actuator door motor for the heat/cold, no real problems.

2002 xlt 4.0l

235,000 miles and counting. 4.0L and the engine has never been touched. Original everything but the alternator and battery,and belt.

Rear glass hinges have been replaced.

Typical wheel bearings and axle seals, all of them and within a week or two, I'm going through the rear differential COMPLETELY, from one side to the other. All the parts are on their way. Mine has howled for the past 100K miles. Diff Fluid changes have been done every 60K miles. Trans has been flushed once and had a pressure servo replaced. Other than that, it has been a perfect machine.

I am a firm believer that, unless you wind up with a lemon, all you need to do to make a vehicle from Ford last is get all the scheduled maintenance completed over the life of the vehicle. Mine isn't over 70k yet, so I don't quite fit in this post, but the only issues I have had are a CD player eject problem, replaced battery and front upper ball joints.

It literally drives like a brand new vehicle. I am planning to keep it for a very long time unless something unforeseen happens.

I personally think that any car, if you maintain it, is reliable. The trick is...you really have to maintain it. It's just a machine, and machines break...and if you don't take care of them, they break sooner than if you do.

I just bought a 2004 XLT and it has 147,000 miles on it. It looks and drives like it's brand new. It's had some work - transmission (which is a known issue...thanks Ford) and some bearings. But, think about it...the original transmission and bearings got the car 140,000+ miles - that's the equivalent of driving around the earth almost 6 times. Not bad for a car that the previous owners didn't maintain.

I've known people with Lexuses (Lexi?) that have had nothing but trouble and people with "crappy" American cars that have half a million miles on them. It's not really true that foreign cars run forever with no trouble or cost.

I know that's little comfort when your car breaks and you're on the side of the road...but all cars break, eventually. Take care of your car and you do minimize that possibility...

I took a 1992 Explorer to over 300k miles, and aside from the expected maintenance, I replaced the starter. Ran like a top when I traded it.

I have a '99 Mounty, with 154k miles. Ball joints, shocks, and sway bar end links. Oh, and the lift gate hinges are sprung, and the liftgate no longer aligns with the body. I got it shut, but we don't use it.

I had a '02 Sport Trac (just sold, btw) that had 241k on it when the timing chain guides disintegrated. We were way out of town, but luckily it broke just a few miles from the Orange County Chopper facility in Orange, NY so it wasn't a completely wasted trip. I had to have it towed back to Virginia. Without a doubt, this was my favorite vehicle of all time. I will own another one.....one day.

I have a 06 Explorer XLT with +110k on it. It shifts funny. Annoying.

2000 Ford Explorer 150k

My first major issue just came up with the car. Timing chain guide broke. Apart from that I've only had an electrical problem with the doors unlocking but that may be due to an aftermarket security system malfunctioning.

1999 Ford Explorer XLS

Almost 422,000 on it now.
Like most ,The transmission hasn't been perfect..Did a "soft" rebuild once and a total rebuild once.4.0 OHV motor had been fantastic!!! Just now getting ready to install a new water pump on it..3 kids learning to drive and several deer through the years,She has had her share of dings..Probably the most trouble i have had has been the sensors over the last year..Just tracking down which one for replacements and such..Again,I really can't complain..Been a great vehicle for me..Would get another but only if same motor..Have heard many bad reports on the SOHC motor...I'm gonna shoot for a possible million miles on mine :)

lol....got an old '73 Puke'n'go 504 with over 800k Miles on it....currently frankensteining a '02 Ex pcm together.....lmao....how many '02 4.6l Ex's are out there are running around with a tiptronic auto in 'em???

1999 Explorer are more reliable than 2002-2005 Explorer. I miss my 2000. If it wasn't stolen I will never buy a new one.

well mine is a kind of love/hate relationship. i bought my 04 4.6 in 2009, and it had 145xxxKM (~90000mi). Was owned by an elderly woman prior to me, so I assume its life prior to me was full of 30km/hr under the speed limit, and never enough rpm to be hard on it.

Since it became mine, I've had to do the following (over the course of my ownership)

front wheel bearings
rack and pinion
park/shift interlock switch
rotors
rear struts
sway bar bushings (front/rear)
idler pully
alternator
multiple batteries
muffler & pipe
rear hub seals
transmission (3x rebuilt, replaced - all on the same invoice.. lost 4th gear and took it in for him to rebuild the first time, and **** just kept breaking.. torque converter was the last straw before he said to hell with it and put in a new transmission)
about to do rotors again
have a rarely stumbling fuel pump that will require my attention before long

i've pulled my hair out over this thing. i've raged about it. i've spent more money than i've wanted. i've swore about it.

but at the end of the day, this is hands down the best vehicle i've ever owned or driven. nothing compares. I've used this vehicle since ownership as my "rig rocket". It's the vehicle I use when I know I've got the leave the highway and travel into Alberta and northern BC's back country. A drilling rig up here is usually found down the ****tiest goat trail of a road, and it's usually either six feet under snow and ice, or in a mud pit that easily swallows 1ton pickups on a regular.

my unit floats man.. she ****in floats. i've never been stuck with it, floating on by as my crewmates dig their giant trucks out or get pulled out by equipment.. my 04 has stood the trial. and i'll say that to anybody who asks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hi there. I Have a 97 Ford Explorer Eddie Bauer edition. It has about 160,000 miles on it and I am about the third owner. Only problem I had was due to a remote start that was installed after Factory. I have bean worrying about things going wrong and so far I'm happy to say some fickle electronic stuff is my worst problem. I live in Alberta so we get the snow and weather of course but I feel pretty confident. I just have to get it checked for my own peace of mind when I get my next tune up. I'm holding my breath a bit until then but that is my success story. Good luck

Back