How many people own or have owned an Aerostar? | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

How many people own or have owned an Aerostar?

One of the great things about the Areostars is that the parts (like motors and transmissions!) fit Rangers and Explorers, and they are hardly ever picked over at the pull-a-part. People leave the vans alone, 'cause they're more difficult. Can't just reach under the hood.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

My mom picked up her aerostar yesterday, and it is a 93 Eddie, with what's called "Electronic 4X4" that what it says on both fenders and I believe its like the Control Trac, it only kicks in when a wheel spins, because it don't have a selector for the 4X4.

Any of you seen the green 5.0 302 Aerostar? It's a good lookin van. The owners put alot of time and money into that thing. Seen it at a couple car shows around here.

Nope...the times I seen it, I didn't have a pic. phone and I haven't seen it at all this year. All I can say is it is like the Aerostar Green, with I believe purple pinstripe or has some detail of purple on it. The one show they had a pic album of the work and I think it started out as brown, it looked pretty crappy in the beginning

We didn't have Aerostars in the UK... We got the Ford Galaxy in 1996 which was a joint venture between Ford and VW. Ford Have just released a new Galaxy with a variant called the S-Max, which is slightly smaller and more sporty looking, but these have had no input from VW and are better for it.

Si

My parents had a 1991 extended EB with the 4.0 and the awd. Other then the POS a4ld that went out like 5 times it was great. Pull the seats and start loading full sheets of plywood. It had 370k plus on it when it finally blew the motor. I wish they still had it. I think a SAS on 33's with a 1354 tcase would be cool.

I had a 1990 for several years and I still miss it. It was the short body, XLT, rear heat and AC, blue and silver, window van, four captain's chairs, with the 3.0 V6. It was a great road car, very comfortable for hauling the kids on long road trips, quiet and comfortable and roomy. I took many a road trip from Calif to Okla and back in that car. Actually it had a decent ride. Yeah it swayed all over the road like a drunk, but it ain't supposed to handle like a Mustang...

What a PITA to work on though under the hood. I refused to pay $140 to Ford for those stupid pre-molded three-way heater hoses so I built my own using elbows and tees, hose, and a bazillion hose clamps. Then I had to take it to a radiator shop to have them remove the htr hoses from the core using that 3' long special tool that releases the little clips on the hose ends because you can't get your hand back in there. Changing spark plugs? Holy sh*t. Then the (steel) Phillips screws holding the TPS seized in the (aluminum) manifold so after I broke an EZ-out in it, trying to get the screw out to change the TPS, I had to remove the manifold, have it cut, welded up and re-machined to get the &^%$ TPS screw out. Why couldn't Ford have used a dab of anti-seize on it? Then the alt blew. Then the radiator, water pump, and both heater cores went. Then the stereo went. At least it never ate a starter. Then the rack and pinion unit blew a seal. I sold it at 125k.

I hated to get rid of it but when the stupid A4LD blew at 105k I knew it was time. When I had it to the trans shop, there were three other Aerostars there also, all with blown A4LDs, and all at only 80 or 90k miles. The Aerostar was just too much weight for the poor A4LD. I knew that tranny was a ticking time bomb in that car so I got rid of it. I do think the heat in this area had something to do with the short life of those trannies. The guy said I actually got more out of mine than most people had.

Although mechanically it was mostly a POS and it was damn sure tough to work on, on the inside, the car was great. It had great fit and finish and the quality of the interior materials was very good. Yes it had a lot of plastic but it was thick and stout, MUCH much better in that regard than the POS GM vans from the same time period. My friend had an Astro and it put the S in POS, man. Horrible car.

Mechanically, I think the problem was that Ford rushed the concept to market during the 80's minivan wars. In the rush, I think they just took a bunch of drivetrain parts out of their parts bin and built a van around it. If it'd had a stronger trans that I wasn't going to have to rebuild every 50k, I'd have kept it.

My Aero

Lots of people here saying "I had one" or "I'll never have one"... well, I just got one! I always said I'd never have a van but here I am a young family guy who needs to pull a tent trailer and haul things around. I'm an auto-enthusiast / back-yard mechanic and so instead of buying a new van I bought a nice car (Audi A4) and an old Aerostar. Truth be told I'm liking the Aero for it's ruggedness and practicality. So far I feel the same mechanical sympathy for it as I do all my vehicles. I found the van in a field. It had been sitting for 6 months with a blown lower intake gasket which made it loose coolant in 5 minutes. I bought it for a few hundred dollars and fixed it on the spot in the middle of February. It's a 97 long wheelbase AWD 4.0 with the 5spd automatic (5R55E). No rust, just dirty interior and a few dents. Anyway, It's not an Explorer but I've quickly found lots of useful info and helpful people on this forum. For my off-road needs I visit zukiworld.com. I've been 4x4'ing with my lifted Suzuki Grand Vitara so I'm not completely ignorant to the off-road scene.

Pics of my van here: http://picasaweb.google.com/nagrover/Aerostar

My dad has had two- both extended length 4.0L Aerostars. The red/gray '90 and a Green/Tan bottom/tan int. (non Eddie) '95. I loved both trucks...

I had a 1993, I put 200k on it. 1 transmission. The hd coolers on the transmission made a difference. Now I have a 90 bronco and a 94 ranger.

Here's one for you. I bought a 1997 Aerostar 4 months ago from a co-worker for just $500! It ran great and just had about $1500 worth of work done. Not needing another vehicle (I already have 4 including my EX), I sold it to my best friend for $500 so that he'd have a badly needed 2nd car. It's their 3rd red Aerostar! Been running like a champ!

I'll fess-up, I had an 1990 model with a SWB, 3.0, AOD, 3.45's, LSD, homade CAI, and 100 shot of spray.

It was a cool van, and even cool to jack with Mustangs and Camaro's :p:

Jeff - :navajo:

^just can leave nothing stock

i never owned an aerostar before but i have driventhem before. I have driven a 97 eddie baurer and a 96 xlt aerostar when i used to work for ford.

My dad has had...3? Old black primered one, think it was a 91, then the blue and silver,extended, also a 91, and now a 1993 silver with the 3.0l and a dieing a4ld (I think) I have a spare one for it sitting outside, waiting. Stupid things leaking antifreeze now too. Wish they made it with a real four wheel drive.

Hello

I have an 94 Awd that im am using for parts. I will let you know which ones fit when im done taking it apart.

igiveup

I had an 89 XLT fully loaded. And a 90 XL Both standard length the 89 was two tone blue and the 90 was red/grey. got the 90 new in oct 90 and the 89 used in 98.

We need Perry to post up info on putting a V8 in an aerostar. I always wanted to do that.

Tim

This is our old rig-
Big Sal -may she rest in peace.

Laugh if you will, but dressed as pictured she got 5 of us from Chanute ,Ks to Jenny Lake Campground, in Teton National park, in 18 hrs , at 26 MPG. The 40x40 platform was home made, and went into a receiver hitch.
Coilover rear shocks held the load nicely.

Notice the huge plastic bin for camping gear storage. There is even a red tail light--
I give you my word it was completely safe, and gave us no trouble on our 3200 mile trek

This picture was taken on the way back home through South Dakota, at wind cave.

We owned this for 5 years, and it was the best vehicle we ever had the pleasure of owning, to be honest. At 190 k miles it hit a second deer, which was the final straw.
Up to that point, I had replaced the brakes twice, oxygen sensor once, and a lower power steering hose. It was still on it's 3rd set of michelins.

Attachments

• Big Sal.jpg
    Big Sal.jpg
    148.1 KB · Views: 1,077

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back