Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

How many people own or have owned an Aerostar?

Discussion in 'Aerostar Forum' started by BrooklynBay, November 2, 2007.

• Searches ExplorerForum.com
    1. AerostarFarms

AerostarFarms New Member

City, State:
      Farmington, NM
      Year, Model & Trim Level:
      1997 Aerostar 4WD
      We currently own three: a '91 short body, and '94 and '97 Extended. All three are 4WD 4.0 L, and all have 120K+ miles. The '91 is most fun to drive.

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself, and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

to hide adverts.
    3. billondrums

billondrums New Member

City, State:
      Buffalo,New York
      1997 Aerostasr
      I had a 93 Aerostar with 283k on it and had to junk it because rust was eating it up. I now have a 97 with 70k on it.

4. FRSGUMP

FRSGUMP New Member

City, State:
      central IL
      93 Aerostar/67 Mustang
      I have owned two of them and still have one. I once owned a 1990 with a 3.0, but now have a 93 XLT 4X4 with the 4.0.
      [​IMG]

5. FRSGUMP

FRSGUMP New Member

City, State:
      central IL
      93 Aerostar/67 Mustang
      How can I get my photo to show up? New here.

6. BrooklynBay

BrooklynBay Moderator & long time member. Staff Member Moderator Elite Explorer

City, State:
      Brooklyn, NY
      88 89 93 95 96 Aerostars
    7. ThoreauOnWheels

ThoreauOnWheels New Member

City, State:
      El Cajon, CA
      1994 Ford Aerostar
      :aerostar:I'm driving a 1994 Aerostar with a 3.0L V-6. It's my daily driver. With over 150,000mi, I'm trying to make it last as long as I can.

8. Malk67

Malk67 Member

City, State:
      North Carolina
      96 Aerostar XLT 3.0L
      I'm driving a 96 3.0L with 278,000+. She still runs strong.:D

9. FRSGUMP

FRSGUMP New Member

City, State:
      central IL
      93 Aerostar/67 Mustang
      93 XLT 4-Wheel Drive

I have owned 2 of them and still have one. One was a red 1990 with a 3.0 and the other I still have is a 1993 XLT extended 4-wheel drive. It's white with dark blue around the bottom. It has the 4.0, and every option except the tow package. It now has 125,000 miles on it and it only had 2600 on it when I bought it. The dealership told me I'm the first and only owner because it was used by 4 Japanese guys who took it on a road trip to evaluate the 4-wheel drive system and take notes. They couldn't sell it as a "new" vehicle and sold it to me as a "promotional" vehicle. I've learned that there are 3 recalls on it and every one of them has been fixed. They are; front brake rotors may be aftermarket parts and may warp or crack,,,the ignition switch may cause a fire,,,and the rear seal of the transfer case will blow out at high speeds. The last one I found out by experience. Today, it is in need of the sliding side door handle, exhaust from the cat back and brake lines due to rust. Where I now live, I hardly ever see an Aerostar at all and mine is still in very good condition so it gets lots of looks everywhere I go. Most of the miles on it have been from taking trips between Denver and central IL over the years. It has been a great vehicle.

10. Dai101

Dai101 New Member

City, State:
      GDL
      Ford Aerostar 93
      Hey, new guy around here.

I've owned one Aerostar 93 AWD for a few years now. My very first vehicle too. Now rocking in the 200K miles and being in hold now (transmission and transfer rebuilt) in repair, i hope everything goes Ok so i can put another 200K.

11. missmoe

missmoe New Member

1993 aerostar van
      i still own my aerostar. it has 171,000ks and in really great shape except for a tiny rust spot near the back wheelwell.

12. Jose A.

Jose A. Active Member

City, State:
      Florida
      1997 Aerostar XLT 4.0
      I'm on my Third Aerostar; My first was a brand new one in 1986 which lasted until 1999 when my girl wrecked it. I traded it for a used 1992 which I sold March this year because I wanted the Extended 4.0.

I found an intact 1997 (with undamaged rocker panels) with original paint & interior. The interior needs TLC but I went to a salvage yard and pulled everything I needed to make it like new. It also has driveability issues (Check Engine light and RABS light are ON and the A/C is not cooling). Other than that I am impressed at the power of the 4.0 and the 5-speed transmission, and whatever the problems are, I'll get them fixed.

13. rkolenda

rkolenda New Member

City, State:
      michigan
      1996 limited
      I have had two aerostars. The first one was a 1991 3.0 litre Eddie Bauer ,I drove it for 331,000 miles with normal maintence.It was super reliable it still had the original un touched engine that ran great when I junked it last year due to body rust.The trans was rebuilt at 200,000 but the van still had its original water pump and alternator.I make it a habit of replacing the alternator brushes every 100,000 miles .The brushes are available at napa for under $5.00.the coolant was changed every other year to protect all the aluminum components in the engine and radiator core.I would have driven it to a half million if the road salt didn,t kill the body.I bought a second rust free 1991 aerostar from arizona to replace the first one.Its another Eddie Bauer .This one is a 4.0 litre version .It now has 213,000 miles and I just completed the trans overhaul yesterday. With regular maintence I will drive this one for years. Bob

14. Swangleriter

Swangleriter New Member

City, State:
      Roseau, MN
      '97 AWD Aerostar
      I just bought my 4th Aerostar. The first Aerostar was bought new in 1994, and driven to well in excess of 200,000 miles. We had a few problems with it, but a good share of that was related to my wife spinning through a S curve and crinkling the side up on a snowbank (at about 100,000 miles). The body was repaired, but the snap fitting for the rear heat popped apart and drained the coolant out, twice, eventually causing a warped head. Removed the heads and shaved them, reassembled it and drove it for 140,000 or so more miles. Had some half-shaft problems and the front diff went out at 225,000 miles (fluid leak).

Aerostar #2 was another 1994 AWD. Purchased with 113,000 miles and driven a couple of years. Wife hit a deer and screwed up the electronics. I had to move so sold both at auction for not too much money. Wished I'd have kept them, but it wasn't possible at the time.

Aerostar #3 was another '94 AWD, purchased for $1000 with 124,000 miles or so. Good van, but had some sensor and tranny problems. Had to do the head shave bit again when It froze up and overheated, one of the problems you have when you repair a heater hose and forget to bring the antifreeze up to specs. Now has 196,000, lost a cylinder and is waiting for the resident mechanic to have time to repair.

Aerostar #4 is a 1997 AWD that I bought knowing it has a tranny problem. I'm rebuilding the 5 speed, and hopefully this will be as good as the others.

15. Jose A.

Jose A. Active Member

City, State:
      Florida
      1997 Aerostar XLT 4.0
      just my opinion, but you win the "Most Aerostar Owned And Destroyed By Wife" Medal.

16. Swangleriter

Swangleriter New Member

City, State:
      Roseau, MN
      '97 AWD Aerostar
    17. Jose A.

Jose A. Active Member

City, State:
      Florida
      1997 Aerostar XLT 4.0
      ok, she wins the Silver Medal :D

18. Blackbeard

Blackbeard New Member

City, State:
      Dallas, TX
      1993 Aerostar
      My parents owned an 86 and an 89 back in the 80's. Just recently purchased a 93 XL extended with 3.0L. Has 131K on it. Got it out of a guy's storage basically. Put a new tranny front pump seal in it, changed oil, belts, hoses. Runs great! Needs AC looked at, but other than that, its a nice ride. Too hot here in TX to run around without AC!

19. mmerlinn

mmerlinn Member

City, State:
      Here, There, and Everywhere
      93 Aeros: 430 & 258,000mi
      Only two here.

1986 3.0L automatic rear wheel drive. Bought at 109,000 miles for $2000. Had to junk it when top of #5 piston started rattling around in the cylinder at 200,000 miles. Only major repair I did was rebuilt transmission at 170,000 miles.

1993 3.0L automatic rear wheel drive. Bought at 176,000 miles for $2000. Original engine and transmission neither of which had major repairs before I bought it. Went past 358,000 miles two days ago. No major repairs since I got it. One tune up. On transmission flush. Still get 23mpg city and 26mpg highway. Typically has a payload of 3000 pounds or more in the back. Will still fly over any mountain pass anywhere with a load like that. Empty weight of van is 3900 pounds, so I obviously overload it.

Currently considering buying another 93 exactly like mine with 115,000 miles for $500. Should know in a few days whether I get it or not.

20. tucson_sailors

tucson_sailors New Member

City, State:
      Tucson, AZ
      1997 Aerostar
      Own one, makes the second

1997 XLT, previous was a 93/94 Eddie Bauer XLT (can't remember the year). Wife loves them cause of the seating position and visibility.

Glenn in Tucson

21. Blueyed Rebel

Blueyed Rebel New Member

City, State:
      Columbia, Tennessee
      1992 Ford Aerostar
      New Around Here...

Hi, I'm new around here myself and thought I would keep with the thread...
      I own a 1992 Aerostar that is in immaculate condition cosmetically for the most
      part.. I'm just starting to have a couple of very minor mechanical problems
      beginning to arise... When you first crank it, there is a slight smell of fuel as if it might either have a very slight leak - discharge for just a very seconds, or as if the fuel to air intake ratio is mixed way to rich... then after it get's down the road a mile or two away from the house, it doesn't seem to have any power.. It has near to no acceleration power at all and will barely pull itself back home!!
      My first Ford truck was twenty six years ago. It was a 1977 Ford Ranger XLT F-150 Custom. It was a long wheel base with an long bed, two tone paint red on white.. After it went through two 351-m-400 series engines, my father and I put a big block Mercury 400c.i. in it which bolted right up to it's c-6 transmission with 4-11 limited slip rear end.. I kept it from 1980 till 2001 and it served me very well!! I've had a couple of chevy's and a dodge ram van since, which were all very short lived.. I kept the dodge just less then three weeks then got rid of that hunk of detroit garbage.. the chevy's, lasted a little longer.. I do have a whole lot more faith and respect for a cheverolet then I ever will for a dodge... very long story involved in that, which would take to long for here... So back to the Fords I now own... A few years back we purchased my eldest one of the nicest vehicles I've ever had, a 1997 Ford Ranger ( the smaller one ) and then recently I got for myself a 1978 F-100 Lariat with a 302c.i.-c-6 in it.. it too is red on white like the one I had in my younger days. Even tho this one is more of a restoration project body wise.. the kid that I got it from had started on it and two other projects when his young wife informed him of a surprise addition she was expecting to add to the family. She also insisted he complete one of the three ford p.u.'s he was working on, and that he liquidate the rest... I had mentioned a couple of times how it reminded me of my first truck, so I convinced them to let me take this one off their hands for a very low price! It runs great, is pretty solid even tho it looks like a rust bucket when you're first walking up on it. The only real issue I've found with it so far is the brakes seem to have a pinhole leak that I've not been able to find.. Over the last few years after a series of very extreme cardiovascular events that have forced my body to a point of being so badly handicapped that I am not capable of walking more then a few feet at a time or attempting strenuous activities.. Add being plagued with a slight twinge of short term and long term memory losses, plus lapses in judgement calls when it comes to some mechanical aptitude. I guess I am just kidding myself with hoping to see any break any time soon... social security and the wife's salary just don't go quite far enough to relieve this feeling that we're steadily sinking so far under that there will ever be a reasonable comfort even... My wife keeps trying, bless her heart!!
      I know you'll all agree that I'm able to use what little mind I have left..

Thanks for Listening, I'll try to get a few pics of my fleet in the appropriate folder for everyone to get a good grin over!!

Danny

:rangerred: :aerostar: :rangertan:

22. Jose A.

Jose A. Active Member

City, State:
      Florida
      1997 Aerostar XLT 4.0
      hi,
      both of the symptoms you describe could be (repeat: could be, I'm not an expert) a clogged catalytic converter. Run the engine to full warm up and have someone look under the engine (passenger side) to see if the catalytic looks red hot. (even it if doesn't, don't touch it!). If you live in a state without annual inspections, and the catalytic IS clogged, you could cut it off and replace it with just a clamped straight pipe to see if it resolves the problem, then you can decide to replace it. I would not suggest you replace it just because it could be clogged, you must confirm it is, they are very expensive, don't throw money at the problem, it never fixes the problems.

The problem for us Aerostar owners is that there is no support from Ford, or from Ford dealers, so we have to keep them running whatever way we can.

23. JerichoFan

JerichoFan New Member

City, State:
      Archdale, NC
      97' Ford aerostar
      6 aerostars

I am 18 and living with my parents so there are 6 aerostar sitting in our driveway, I own 2 my parents own 4.

My 92 short body xlt 3.0L has 254,000 miles on it. it was my parents 1st aerostar, then they where going to get rid of it but gave it to me instead. I am in the process of fixing it up, replacing: radiator, water pump, power steering pump, timing chain, heater core, and rebuilding the transmission.
      My 97 long body xlt 4.0L has 91,000 miles on it. I bought this one a couple of months ago because I didn't think I would have my other one ready before I started collage and I needed a car. and I wasn't 100% sure the other one would work. I replaced the radiator and worked on the a/c, the compressor went bad
      My parents have a 92 long body 4.0L. 66,000 miles on it. they just recently bought it. had to replace the alternator. it looks like the trans. was worked on
      they also have 3 97 long body 3.0L. none have had to have parts replaced. 1 has 68,000 miles, another has 89,000 miles, and the other has 85,000 miles
      they are all great vans, very reliable, huge, the 4.0L have alot of power. We love these vans.

24. BrooklynBay

BrooklynBay Moderator & long time member. Staff Member Moderator Elite Explorer

City, State:
      Brooklyn, NY
      88 89 93 95 96 Aerostars
    25. Jose A.

Jose A. Active Member

City, State:
      Florida
      1997 Aerostar XLT 4.0
      you are hereby awarded the Golden Medal for most Aerostars owned :))
      All I can say is: CONGRATS! ;)

I've owned 3 since 1986, I bought my first in June 1986, brand new! There was no Extended body available back then.

26. Tapemeasureman

Tapemeasureman New Member

City, State:
      Atl. Ga.
      95 3L Aerostar
      BB I have a 93 4L XLT, and a 94 3L XL I use as work trucks. Both over 150k mi, all things considered, I find them to perform well, and to be economical especially given the (over) loads I carry with them. The dual zone a/c is certainly appreciated on these hot Atlanta summer days too. Now and then I am frustrated with some of their issues but I am generally diligent enough with my research that I can fix all the issues myself. Not bad considering Im a carpenter and not a mechanic.