Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

How many people own or have owned an Aerostar?

Discussion in 'Aerostar Forum' started by BrooklynBay, November 2, 2007.

• Searches ExplorerForum.com
    1. Malk67

Malk67 Member

City, State:
      North Carolina
      Year, Model & Trim Level:
      96 Aerostar XLT 3.0L
      My 96 just hit this "magic number" about two weeks ago. She's currently at 291 and change.

[​IMG]

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself, and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

to hide adverts.
    3. Malk67

Malk67 Member

City, State:
      North Carolina
      96 Aerostar XLT 3.0L
      Jerichofan, I've also seen a trend here in Rowan Co., NC. I can't go a single day without seeing an Aerostar, and never seems to be the same one.

4. mmerlinn

mmerlinn Member

City, State:
      Here, There, and Everywhere
      93 Aeros: 430 & 258,000mi
      I used to make a game of counting Aerostars versus Caravans. Anytime I would go to a store ANYWHERE, even in the middle of nowhere, I would see Aerostars. It was common even 2 years ago to count 6 or more of them in a parking lot. And in that same lot there would SELDOM be more than one Caravan, WHICH IS STILL BEING MADE, while the Aerostar has not been made for SIXTEEN years. Proof positive which is the better vehicle.

Two years ago I was in a town of 2000 people 30 miles from the nearest big town of 6000 people. I SAW SIX DIFFERENT AEROSTARS IN LESS THAN TEN MINUTES in less than 2 miles. Nearest city of 100,000 or more was 200 miles away, so you know how remote the area was.

Wrecking yards crush Caravans on the day of arrival. They are junk from the factory. Aerostars generally stay in the yards 6 months or longer until there is nothing left to sell.

My 93 has now turned 362,000 miles. For the first time I might have a serious issue with it. I have an oil gauge that is not working properly all of the time. Have yet to figure out if it is an oil problem, gauge problem, or electrical problem. I did relocate the wire on the sending unit, and the gauge changed its antics, so I suspect electrical. Motor just keeps purring, so I guess it can't be too serious.

5. BrooklynBay

BrooklynBay Moderator & long time member. Staff Member Moderator Elite Explorer

City, State:
      Brooklyn, NY
      88 89 93 95 96 Aerostars
    6. top4874

top4874 New Member

City, State:
      Huntsville,AL
      97&92 Ranger, 95 Aerostar
      Hi! I was looking in the Ranger forum for information on my daughter's truck and saw a link in someone's sig that lead me here. I own a 95' Aerostar XLT that I have had for about 6 years now. I drive it back and forth to work everyday and on short trips here and there. Good reliable vehicle, though I wish it got better gas mileage.

Glad that I found this place because I am one that does all of my own repairs. Just in the short time that I have been browsing around, I have found several helpful posts that deal with problems that I am having with my Aerostar. Hope to learn as much as I can about this jewel so my wife will think I am a master mechanic. lol

7. Jose A.

Jose A. Active Member

City, State:
      Florida
      1997 Aerostar XLT 4.0
      hi,
      I'm on my third Aerostar since my first one in 1986, I don't know why but I like them a lot too. Once you get the bugs fixed, they are reliable. The one I bought last May came with a few bugs I'm still trying to fix but that is part of the fun, little by little I'm making it like new. As to gas mileage, the 3.0 liter engine is better in gas mileage, but the 4.0 engine has more power, and the 1997 came with a 5-speed automatic which helps the mileage some.

8. mmerlinn

mmerlinn Member

City, State:
      What kind of mileage are you getting?

My 93 3.0L shorty Aero still gets 23mpg around town and 26mpg highway even with 363,000 miles on it.

If you are getting anywhere near that, you are getting very good gas mileage.

9. MtExplorer Guy

MtExplorer Guy Member

City, State:
      Kalispell, MT
      2003 Explorer XLS
      I currently am driving my 3rd Aerostar and think it is one of the best vehicles I have ever owned in my 50 years on this planet, I am sorry Ford stopped making them!

10. mmerlinn

mmerlinn Member

City, State:
      Thank the Federal Safety regulations for no more Aeros. Ford made them up until the very last day they were legal to make.

And it is probably the best vehicle ever built, and I am sure the best van ever built. No other vehicle to my knowledge has ever had the end-of-production date put off for 3 years due to popular demand.

11. BrooklynBay

City, State:
      Brooklyn, NY
      88 89 93 95 96 Aerostars
      From what I've read, it seems like the government wanted a passenger's side airbag in 1998, and Ford didn't want to redesign the dashboard, so the Windstar took over where the Aerostar left off.

Last edited: October 30, 2012
    12. mmerlinn

mmerlinn Member

City, State:
      Actually, the Aerostar was originally scheduled to be discontinued in 1994 to be replaced by the Windstar in 1995. The Windstar came out in 1995, but the demand for the Aerostar was sufficient to continue making it side-by-side with the Windstar until Ford was forced to quit making it.

You are correct about the air bags. Ford did not want to redesign the Aerostar to use passenger side airbags. That is the reason for the Windstar in the first place.

In hindsight, Ford should have not made the Windstar at all, but instead should have redesigned the Aerostar. The Windstar is junk, not much better than the Caravan, and completely fails as a workhorse for business purposes. And to this day Ford has not produced a van comparable to the Aerostar.

I normally carry a ton or more payload in my Aerostar, commonly exceeding 6,000 pounds curb weight when loaded, which is most of the time. There is no way a Windstar would last with loads like that. And worse, the Windstar has NO headroom, NO legroom, and NO steering wheel room. And it drives and rides like a tank - No way I could drive one for more than 500 miles without being totally exhausted, whereas I can easily drive an Aerostar 1,000 miles in a day, and still feel good.

I vividly remember the last day the Aerostar was made. It was National news on TV, radio, and even in my local (circ 20,000) newspaper. I remember wanting the last one that came off the assembly line in St Louis, but of course someone else had spoken for it long before it became news.

Last edited by a moderator: October 30, 2012
    13. BrooklynBay

City, State:
      Brooklyn, NY
      88 89 93 95 96 Aerostars
    14. mmerlinn

mmerlinn Member

City, State:
      That is true. I have seen lots of them around but from what I have seen they are light duty.

Being front wheel drive I do not expect them to last like a rear wheel drive will in America, nor can they carry the payloads. Their history in Europe and around the world shows they are good for light duty in crowded cities where highway driving is minimal and payloads are small. American population densities often mean long distance deliveries, making light duty vans too expensive because of the additional needed trips to do the same job.

At the very least, they are too light duty for many jobs, mine included, whereas the Econoline is an expensive overkill. That middle ground is where the Aerostar excelled.

15. Jose A.

Jose A. Active Member

City, State:
      Florida
      1997 Aerostar XLT 4.0
      not to mention that for a tin can they are ridiculously overpriced, I wouldn't put any money in one of those. I'll keep my Aerostar thank you.

16. Swangleriter

Swangleriter New Member

City, State:
      Roseau, MN
      '97 AWD Aerostar
    17. Jose A.

Jose A. Active Member

City, State:
      Florida
      1997 Aerostar XLT 4.0
    18. Swangleriter

Swangleriter New Member

City, State:
      Roseau, MN
      '97 AWD Aerostar
      She and the daughter are OK. They were wearing their seatbelts and she was only doing about 30 mph due to the conditions. She said it was a slow tipover.

19. loosenut349

loosenut349 Member

City, State:
      S.W. Florida
      1995 Aerostar XLT E4WD
      I had a 91 extended with a 3.0, I have a 95 extended AWD 4.0, And I have a Gold 02 Explorer.

20. big10innch

big10innch New Member

1994 Ford Aerostar Eddie
      I have owed 2,
      1st was a 92 Eddie Baur EXt. 2wd,
      now I have a 94 Eddie Baur Ext. AWD
      Sad that ford stopped making them.
      I have a Flex now too,
      for when this one gets to far gone.:aerostar:

21. Ski-Patroller

Ski-Patroller New Member

City, State:
      Portland Oregon
      1997 AeroStar 2004 Miata
      We have a 97 XLT AWD. The Canoe Club refers to them as AquaStars because it make a great shuttle vehicle for down river canoe trips.

I bought it when my son was a ski racer so we could haul a lot of skiers around. Now I mostly use my Outback, but the AeroStar is our 7 passenger Pickup Truck when we need it.

22. FRSGUMP

FRSGUMP New Member

City, State:
      central IL
      93 Aerostar/67 Mustang
      FYI: For any of you who own the Electronic 4-Wheel Drive or AWD Aerostars,,,I know that there was a recall on the transfer case blowing out the rear seal at high speeds. This happened to me during rush hour traffic in Cleveland, OH. If I had not known about the recall, it would have cost me $2,070. There was also recalls on the ignition switch (may cause fire), and the front brake rotors (because after-market parts were used on new vehicles). I'm talking about my own 1993 XLT here, so I don't know what years had these recalls. Just wanted to remind everyone again.

23. FRSGUMP

FRSGUMP New Member

City, State:
      central IL
      93 Aerostar/67 Mustang
      I have also found out that rust will eventually get to the tubing for the A/C underneath the body right behind the driver's door. Mine rusted out and I lost all the freon. I also cannot find any place that will sell me air shocks to put onto the rear. My springs in the rear are weak and any weight I put into the back end causes it to sag. A few places have suggested the coil-over shocks or helper springs, but I'm wondering WHY I can't put air shocks on it so I can adjust them myself when needed. Any advice on this?

24. explorerman84

explorerman84 New Member

City, State:
      Pine Grove, PA
      2005 XLT 4x4
      My Dad owned a 93 XL 2wd 3.0 5spd manual. It was the first vehicle I learned to drive. He bought it in 2004 for $100. It had 256,000 miles when he scrapped it.

25. BrooklynBay

City, State:
      Brooklyn, NY
      88 89 93 95 96 Aerostars
      Get Gabriel Hi-Jackers.

26. don-ohio

don-ohio Active Member

City, State:
      jackson,ohio
      1994 Aerostar extended
      I have owned 2 Aerostars(a short one àn extended) àn love them. I wish I could buy a NEW one & keep it forever. The Aerostar was ahead of its time,combining a large actually midi-van with good gas mileage.
      They have great engines. I've never had any tranny trouble.I'm gonna hate getting rid of the old green monster.LOL! don-ohio :)^)

Last edited: April 1, 2013