How much gas left after the gauge says 0 miles?? | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

How much gas left after the gauge says 0 miles??

I just drove 23 miles after 0 miles showed. It took 18.2 gallons. Not sure why i waited...LOL

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Bill, this isn't alarming to you on how far off the trip computer is?...
I have your Explorer’s info from before, so drop me a line via PM with your current mileage. I’ll arrange a call from your regional Customer Service Manager.

I just drove 23 miles after 0 miles showed. It took 18.2 gallons. Not sure why i waited...LOL
It's normal Saab behavior, we do it all the time! :D
suzook & IAmTodd,

This is a risky game to play. :eek:;)

Cory

I don't believe driving below 1/4 tank will do any damage to the pump. I believe our fuel tank has a well at the bottom that the pump sits in, that being said once you hit E you would be sucking gas from that well and the potential for a burnt out pump is much higher. I generally drive till 1/8th of a tank then look for somewhere to fill it up.

The "reserve" as you call it is the amount of gas in the bottom of the tank to keep the pump running cool and spiffy :) You really don't ever want to drive on empty (regardless of how many miles you can squeeze out of it)

I have your Explorer’s info from before, so drop me a line via PM with your current mileage. I’ll arrange a call from your regional Customer Service Manager.

suzook & IAmTodd,

This is a risky game to play. :eek:;)

Cory

I was only joking since they were in a Saab. I've only had the light on once (25mi DTE) and that was too nerve racking to go any further.

...You really don't ever want to drive on empty (regardless of how many miles you can squeeze out of it)
...I've only had the light on once (25mi DTE) and that was too nerve racking to go any further.
13Sport & IAmTodd,

You’re right; it’s not good to run out of gas. The following is from the 2013MY Explorer Owner Guide 3rd Printing page 211:

“RUNNING OUT OF FUEL
Avoid running out of fuel because this situation may have an adverse effect on powertrain components.
If you have run out of fuel:
• You may need to cycle the ignition from off to on several times after refueling to allow the fuel system to pump the fuel from the tank to the engine. On restarting, cranking time will take a few seconds longer than normal. With keyless ignition, just start the engine. Crank time will be longer than usual.
• Normally, adding 1 gallon (3.8L) of fuel is enough to restart the engine. If the vehicle is out of fuel and on a steep grade, more than 1 gallon (3.8L) may be required.
• The service engine soon indicator may come on. For more information on the service engine soon indicator, refer to Warning lamps and indicators in the Instrument Cluster chapter.”

Want a free digital copy of the Owner Guide? Go here and download it:

http://Owner.Ford.com/servlet/ContentServer?pagename=Owner/Page/OwnerGuidePage

Cory

Driving in the West Virginia mountains yesterday and accidentally missed the desired exit. Had to go about 4 miles past 0 miles remaining, some uphill. We were sweating it. Found gas at the next exit, and put in 18.6 gals (rated capacity). Very lucky and won't do that again.

For what it's worth: Just tested our 2013 ecoboost the other day for an upcomming trip. Temp was 23F, no wind, highway speed 65...At 50 miles to empty the indicators popped up. Guage showed the bar line clearly above Empty. At 30 to empty the bar graph read centered on Empty. From the odometer distance actually traveled 22 miles. From 30 down to "0" miles left, the warnings popped up a couple more times....at "0" miles to empty, Odometer miles indicated 26 miles actually traveled. I drove 1/2 mile to the station and filled. The bar graph line was clearly showing below the "E" line. Tank took 17.8 gal. The book says capacity at 18.6.....So at "0" miles left about .8 gal left....Not a great deal of leve way in this to suit me....I'll always be filling at the 50 mile warning if not sooner... especially since it appeared the actual mileage distance dropped off sooner as the tank gets emptier...........best regards regards Plum

You should never let any tank get to empty or close to it for many reason's
1. The fuel pump need to be in gas to keep cool
2. You will be sucking up settlement from gas tank
3.gas is fairly cheap right now

Yes, the fuel pump is cooled by the gas, but it's not cooled by the gas it's sitting in. It's cooled by the gas as it pumps it. There are some pumps that are hung from the top of the tank and therefore only submerged when the tank is nearly full.

So yes, running out of gas is bad for the pump, but only if you are trying to pump air and not gas through it.

And the pump is always picking up gas from the bottom of the tank. The pickup tube is not floating or somehow cleverly rigged to move with the level of gas in the tank. The tube sits on the bottom of the tank, all the time.

I bit the bullet and just tried it.

My first post on the forum. Been reading for a while before buying my new EX. Everyone is so helpful, so here are my two cents:

I have always liked knowing exactly how much gas I had left especially when driving through the desert and such so a few months ago, I drove it till it quit. It was a Sunday morning with little other traffic on the road and I kept it on flat ground. I had 2 gallons of fuel in a gas can with me and I just drove slowly until I felt the first hickup in power. Immediately pulled to the side and the engine actually quit just before I hit the stop button (keyless ignition). The instant the engine stopped, I saw the oil pressure warning light pop up; so I know that works. The results are consistent with what others have predicted. After the gauge read "0" I was able to go 16.5 miles before running out of gas. For that 16.5 miles, my trip computer read 18.3 mpg (since I was driving pretty slowly through the city). When I filled up, the tank took a total of 18.74 gallons from empty in case anyone is interested.

I put the 2 gallons in and expected a bit of a hard start, but it started right up as it always does, (no extra cranking). Hopefully, no damage to anything. I have done this to my last three cars (only once for each car) and got over 150,000 miles on the first one, 210,000 on the second with no fuel-related problems. Knock wood.

Love the new EX by the way, 10,500 miles and counting.

My first post on the forum. Been reading for a while before buying my new EX. Everyone is so helpful, so here are my two cents:

I have always liked knowing exactly how much gas I had left especially when driving through the desert and such so a few months ago, I drove it till it quit. It was a Sunday morning with little other traffic on the road and I kept it on flat ground. I had 2 gallons of fuel in a gas can with me and I just drove slowly until I felt the first hickup in power. Immediately pulled to the side and the engine actually quit just before I hit the stop button (keyless ignition). The instant the engine stopped, I saw the oil pressure warning light pop up; so I know that works. The results are consistent with what others have predicted. After the gauge read "0" I was able to go 16.5 miles before running out of gas. For that 16.5 miles, my trip computer read 18.3 mpg (since I was driving pretty slowly through the city). When I filled up, the tank took a total of 18.74 gallons from empty in case anyone is interested.

I put the 2 gallons in and expected a bit of a hard start, but it started right up as it always does, (no extra cranking). Hopefully, no damage to anything. I have done this to my last three cars (only once for each car) and got over 150,000 miles on the first one, 210,000 on the second with no fuel-related problems. Knock wood.

Welcome to the Forum flytailheavy. :wavey:
Now that you have your first post out of the way, any further news would be welcomed as well. As you have found out, the members here can be very helpful in addressing any concerns/questions you may have.
In the meantime, happy motoring.:thumbsup:

Peter

Good to know. I trade in a Mazda3 Hatchback that would read 0 with 2 gallons left in the tank (the story I was told was the Sedan had a smaller tank but the software didn't recognize the large tank on the Hatch). I used to routinely scare people by driving right past 0 mile and keep on going.

I know not to do that on this one or I might be walking!:eek:

Fuel gauge

I just took a 1300 mile long trip in my 13 ex. I've read the manual and noted that the tank is 18.6 gal and keeps a few gal in reserve, about 2 I believe. I ran the tank pretty empty before I would refuel usually around 25 miles to empty. I was getting about 21mpg (avg almost 70mph) so I knew I had at least a gallon of gas in the tank. My question is if I had about a gallon of gas left and 25 miles to empty why was I only able to fill on avg 16.5 gallon each time. I realize 16.5 plus 2 is the 18.5+- tank size. What's the point in a 2gal reserve. Does this mean when it says 5 miles to empty I could go another 30-40 miles+- and then fill the tank with @18.6 gal. Next question, when I switch to sand mode is there a max speed. Overall truck was enjoyable to drive and roomy.

You guys crack me up. My wife used to get so mad at me...I had to know how far I could go when the gage said 'E'ast...
65 Fairlane almost 10 miles
76 El Camnio 15 or a little more
2002 Explorer 10 +
2013 never going to know...fill up between 1/2 and 1/4 tank...afraid of damage to the system, even if it just filter harderen I don't want to take the chance.

Besides I'm 63 now not 20-30 something and don't want to walk to the gas station.

You guys crack me up. My wife used to get so mad at me...I had to know how far I could go when the gage said 'E'ast...
65 Fairlane almost 10 miles
76 El Camnio 15 or a little more
2002 Explorer 10 +
2013 never going to know...fill up between 1/2 and 1/4 tank...afraid of damage to the system, even if it just filter harderen I don't want to take the chance.

Besides I'm 63 now not 20-30 something and don't want to walk to the gas station.
Every 6 weeks or so when mine gets down to a 1/4 tank I fill it up. :)

Peter

0 miles to empty - more of a guideline. :)

Misjudged my distance to the gas station by a little this past Friday. The computer said 0 miles to empty and I was 1.5 miles away. Anyway, it took 17.2 gallons to fill up, so I still could have gone another 20 miles!! I guess there is a safety margin built in.

Reminded me of the Seinfeld episode where Kramer goes on the test drive and pushes the Saab beyond empty. :)

Misjudged my distance to the gas station by a little this past Friday. The computer said 0 miles to empty and I was 1.5 miles away. Anyway, it took 17.2 gallons to fill up, so I still could have gone another 20 miles!! I guess there is a safety margin built in.

Reminded me of the Seinfeld episode where Kramer goes on the test drive and pushes the Saab beyond empty. :)
As per my PM, I have moved your thread to this existing one. The video is on page 2.

Peter

From what I know, a fuel pump has to work harder with a low level in the fuel tank. A full fuel tank provides more hydrostatic "head" to the pump inlet which actually boosts the pressure into the pump, requiring the pump to work less & to run cooler. I would think that this is true no matter where the pump is located in the tank.

I know that fuel pump failures are common in the Suburban/Tahoe unless the fuel tank is kept >half full.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

2013 fuel warning issue

With about 50 miles left, and well under 1/4 tank remaining, the warning comes on. At about 20 miles remaining I will fill up. The car never takes more than 15.2 gal. Ever. I've even taken the warning to 10 miles. I thought the tank held 18+ gal. Is the indicator off?
Thoughts?

Back