How much gas left after the gauge says 0 miles?? | Page 4 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

How much gas left after the gauge says 0 miles??

It does hold 18+ gallons. I've run mine past zero and into the read by 10+ miles and still never run out.

Sounds like your fuel sensor may be off.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Last week my 2012 said 6 miles to empty and it took 18.1 gal.

With about 50 miles left, and well under 1/4 tank remaining, the warning comes on. At about 20 miles remaining I will fill up. The car never takes more than 15.2 gal. Ever. I've even taken the warning to 10 miles. I thought the tank held 18+ gal. Is the indicator off?
Thoughts?

Hey Titobach,

Since you're concerned, your best bet will be to have your dealership perform an inspection. Additionally, I'll be happy to loop in your regional customer service manager; just send me a PM with your details (full name, best daytime phone number, VIN, mileage, and servicing dealership) so I can get to work. :thumbsup:

Crystal

With about 50 miles left, and well under 1/4 tank remaining, the warning comes on. At about 20 miles remaining I will fill up. The car never takes more than 15.2 gal. Ever. I've even taken the warning to 10 miles. I thought the tank held 18+ gal. Is the indicator off?
Thoughts?
Welcome to the Forum Titobach.:wavey:
The tank capacity is 18.6 U.S. gallons (70.4 Litres). Also, it is never a good idea to run a tank close to empty on a regular basis since the gasoline also helps to cool the fuel pump. From page 69 of your 2013 Owner's Guide;

Early low fuel.
• When the fuel gauge reads approximately 3/32nd tank, or your
estimated travel distance is 62 miles (100 kilometers) until the
tank is empty, whichever comes first.
• The fuel indicator lamp illuminates in yellow and the information
display shows a low fuel message.
• When the fuel tank gauge reads “E,” another set of warnings occur:
the information display shows a red warning light and the words
“Low Fuel” in red.

As indicated in my PM, I have merged your thread with this one that discusses the same topic.

Peter

If it makes you feel any better, I thought the Interceptor had a smaller tank than the EX until I read the manual. Low warning came on last night, 35 miles to empty, put exactly 6.58 gallons ($20) in and boom, needle shows over half a tank and 178 MTE.

I think the trip computer's algorithm was written by an idiot after consulting a panel of morons.

From what I know, a fuel pump has to work harder with a low level in the fuel tank. A full fuel tank provides more hydrostatic "head" to the pump inlet which actually boosts the pressure into the pump, requiring the pump to work less & to run cooler. I would think that this is true no matter where the pump is located in the tank.

I know that fuel pump failures are common in the Suburban/Tahoe unless the fuel tank is kept >half full.

The fuel pump is cooled by the gas in the tank, like anti-freeze for the engine. The less fuel, the less cooling. The less cooling, the shorter the fuel pump life, the more it overheats... Heat is the enemy of electric motors and electronics.

I really don't want to drop the tank to change the pump--been there and done that! Especially with a driveshaft in the way! Easier to keep tank over 1/4 tank!

Its all our individual choice, but for me I am a strong proponent of preventative maintenance...

The fuel pump is cooled by the gas in the tank, like anti-freeze for the engine. The less fuel, the less cooling. The less cooling, the shorter the fuel pump life, the more it overheats... Heat is the enemy of electric motors and electronics.

I really don't want to drop the tank to change the pump--been there and done that! Especially with a driveshaft in the way! Easier to keep tank over 1/4 tank!

Its all our individual choice, but for me I am a strong proponent of preventative maintenance...

I'm pretty certain that the fuel in the tank is not acting like a giant heat-sink, it cools the pump as it runs through it, just as antifreeze cools as it gets pushed through the system by a water pump (and directed through a radiator to disperse the collected heat).

The pump can overheat when run dry, just like an aquarium water pump.

Can't argue with preventative maintenance; always a good idea.

I'm glad I found this thread, was wondering how many miles it could go after E. My 2008 Edge AWD could go over 20 and our 2008 Focus could easily go 35.

I'm pretty certain that the fuel in the tank is not acting like a giant heat-sink, it cools the pump as it runs through it, just as antifreeze cools as it gets pushed through the system by a water pump (and directed through a radiator to disperse the collected heat).

The pump can overheat when run dry, just like an aquarium water pump.

Can't argue with preventative maintenance; always a good idea.

I'm glad I found this thread, was wondering how many miles it could go after E. My 2008 Edge AWD could go over 20 and our 2008 Focus could easily go 35.
Welcome to the Forum awake33. :wavey:
I hope you enjoy your 2014 as much as I have my 2011.:thumbsup:

Peter

Thank you Peter.

Technically, it's my wife's, but she let's me do what I want to it.

Actually, it does...

How far I went after 0 miles till empty.

I was on my way home from occ and my gas guage hit 0 miles left and I drove from the corner of 32 mile and van dyke to a half mile past 32 mile and Gratiot Ave it was 17 miles.

I was on my way home from occ and my gas guage hit 0 miles left and I drove from the corner of 32 mile and van dyke to a half mile past 32 mile and Gratiot Ave it was 17 miles.
Welcome to the Forum kylecrowe0520.:wavey:
You were running on the 'reserve' that is calculated into the amount of fuel the tank holds. As mentioned in this post, it isn't a good idea to run the tank that low as the fuel does help to cool the pump. Not sure if that applies to your 2008 Explorer or not.

Peter

I touched on this last year when I replaced my 2011 with a 2013. I continue to reach "0" miles to empty with about 16.5 to 17.0 gallons used. I monitor and track every fill up and I don't get how so far off this system can be. I've been to the dealer and how do you explain an issue like this. Of course nothing came out of that. So almost every tank I know I can drive past zero without issue. I usually get about 35-50 past and still don't put 18.6 gallons back in! The only time it seems to be somewhat accurate is on long distance highway drive and I end up using a full tank. Only then the numbers kinda make sense.

Fuel Consumption

Filling the Tank
The advertised capacity is the indicated capacity and the empty reserve
combined. Indicated capacity is the difference in the amount of fuel in a
full tank and a tank when the fuel gauge indicates empty. Empty reserve
is the amount of fuel in the tank after the fuel gauge indicates empty.
Note: The amount of usable fuel in the empty reserve varies and should
not be relied upon to increase driving range. When refueling your vehicle
after the fuel gauge indicates empty, you might not be able to refuel the
full amount of the advertised capacity of the fuel tank due to the empty
reserve still present in the tank.

Avoid running out of fuel because this situation may have an adverse
effect on powertrain components.

Peter

As an airplane pilot, I'm still amazed by this thread.......

As an airplane pilot, I'm still amazed by this thread.......
We can be a very 'amazing' group at times. :biggthump

Peter

I just tested this out recently, was able to drive 12 miles on E. Not that bad.

Everyone Regarding Fuel Pump Cooling said:
The pump will get hot and the vehicle will explode.

The components that would need lubricating are going to be self contained, probably with bearings made of low friction materials (silicon, teflon, etc.) There may be some mild heat sink characteristics, but what about external fuel pumps? Are they air cooled? These aren't high horsepower, high capacity pumps. There is probably a thermal overload/protection built into the pump as well. That way, the pump doesn't blow the car up.

If the tanks were not meant to go below 1/4 full, then they would re-calibrate the gauge to indicate that you were "Empty" when sitting at 1/4 tank. Keep in mind the potential liability exposure and warranty work that would have to be performed if this were not the case. "I was using the vehicle normally, I would fill up at 1/8 tank...and the fuel pump got hot and killed my family. Good thing I bought the ESP."

I'm guessing that the fuel is used to cool the pump much the same way as the pump I use to drain water from my yard uses the water to cool itself. I recently found out that it does a thermal cut-off switch. I thought it had burned out when it stopped working and felt warm. After I went out and bought another one, I thought I'd try the old pump one more time before taking it apart and lo and behold it was working again. If the fuel pump has the same setup, it could be a while before it cooled down enough to work again.

Peter

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Ironically I can speak to this. Took my Limited in for its first oil change, there were two Explorer Sports on the lot. I had time to kill so I said why not. We had soo much fun driving it on Loop 202- San Tan, over 100 mph as I giggled at the thrill. Turned around at Higley to get back on freeway and stomped it. I had soo much fun that since I gased up earlier the thought never occurred to me. Then it downshifted a few times. I thought I blew a hose from a prior thread...we'll no I ran out of gas. :eek: so my trip was under 10 miles but it was a kick in the pants!

My lesson is not to buy that one...

Back