How much would you pay? 02 with 10K miles | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

How much would you pay? 02 with 10K miles

FordLover

Reaction score
City, State
Houston, Tx
Year, Model & Trim Level
'02 XLT
I found an old demo on a ford lot. overall in great shape.
It's an 2002 XLT model built 7-02 Toreador Red/med Parchment leather. Has 9900 miles on it.

Has the 4.6 V8, control trac 4x4, advance trac, leather interior, tow package, cass/CD radio, fog lights, auto dimming rear view mirror, adjustable pedals, aluminum 16" wheels Window sticker says $33495 MSRP

It's a Demo, never been titled, so I can finance it at a new car rate, however the waranty is expired since it's 3.5 years old.
I want to get a waranty included so I don't have to worry about potential problems. BTW, the truck runs and drives great, an abundance of power from the V8, and the auto 4WD combined with the Advance trac is very impressive.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Wow that's some low ass miles.
Anyway, I paid 17K for my 04 XLT V6 with 25K on the clock. I don't know if that helps. I wouldn't pay anything more then 15K for it.

It helps, gives me an idea of what I should be paying. I wouldn't mind finding a newer one that's in factory warranty, but I really don't want a retired rental explorer...

I bought my 2002 Mountaineer 8 months ago for 16000 with 42k on the clock.
It has all the options except the sun roof. It also has the V8 with AWD Hope that helps. No problems as of yet.

hmmm, demo??? I'd raise some questions on that one. I don't think any dealer purpously keeps a truck as a demo. Could it be that it had several problems and was never sell-able?

I would stay away. Its sat quite a while. Earlier V8s had tranny problems as well. Rear diffs were troublesome. Others had wheel bearing problems. This thing isn't even broken in, who knows what could go wrong with it.

seems odd

that is a pretty old demo as some here said. Plus it is the 1st model year whcih will have more problems. I wonder what the warranty record says?

sounds interesting...but it happends..um grandma got a '91 chrysler new yorker with 5k miles on it in '93..and it was a great car for her..just recently sold it.

i think i would tell them i want atleast a 2year-24k mile warrenty to go along with it. and would prolly say about 14-16k

what is the blue book value on it? I would not pay no more than what that is

Just get an extended warranty from Ford, you can get one even though the factory warrant is run out, they just do the mileage and years differently. I got a 4 yr/50000 mile extended warranty when I bought my EB. It was over 3 years old but only had 34k miles on it. It'll cost you a little extra but it'll be worth the peach of mind.

I agree, the Ford dealer I used to work at wouldn't keep a demo for more than year...if we did, the managers would have been pissed.

I think the reason it hasn't sold is because it's a very expensive XLT, because of the V8/advance trac, but yet it didn't even have the 3rd seat. Not to mention the dealer wants too much 20 grand...and I think they've just dropped the price recently. I think I'm gonna offer 15, but I definitely want an extended warranty.
There are a ton of explorers out there, so I can bring in prices from other places and show them, hopefully they'll drop the price...if not, I supose I'll continue my search. Thanks for the input guys.

BTW, what's the malfunction with the wheel bearings, guess I hadn't heard much about that.

Get the VIN number from it. Go to a site called Flat Rate Tech, go to the Ford area and ask for an oasis report. Someone there (Ford tech) will pull up any recall, repairs etc that have been done by Ford (Or need to be). 10K is very low overall mileage, but is alot of 'demo' miles. Definitely get a warranty, or have them subtract the cost of an extended warranty from 16-17K or so...
My '02
Mctoy

I just bought a 2002 Eddie Bauer 4.6ltr 4x4 control trac 81000 miles it listed at 13,999 and I paid 11,000

Clean Black Book on that is around $16K including a low mileage adjustment. I think that you are right in offering $15K, as it is a 4 year old car now. There are enough out there that you can find a good deal. Plus, act as though you would really like the 3rd row seat, but would settle for this one without it for the right price.

If you get it, definitely get the warranty! I bought on just like you spoke of and it ended up being plagued with problems. I have had many Fords and this is the only one that caused me any real problems. I really liked driving it for the way it handled and felt. Oh well it is no longer my problem. I traded it off today for a 4-Runner. :D

Let me get back to you. There is a website you can register your ex on and when you enter the vin it will tell you everything about the vehicle. Mine was sold to me as a "demo" turns out it was a fleet vehicle owned by Ford, probably driven by a Ford exec at one of the plants up here in Ohio. Annyways it was bought in august of 04, built in Jan of 04. I bought it for $20k with 10k miles on it, full warranty. I would be weary of the whole "demo" idea. kind of like the "never seen snow" or "highway miles" line. You can find better. Nice options though... if you really want it make them throw in a warranty! no warranty and you'll regret it!

Carstats.com is one
the other is the ford site itself!

well, I ended up buying it. It's brand new inside and out, so I didn't have any problems paying a little more for it. I also found out that it had never been put into service, so my factory waranty didn't start until yesterday, a full 3 years/26K miles of warranty remains. Ended up paying 17,600 for it, which I think is an 'ok' price. I could have spend more of my valuble time shopping around, but the dealer was really nice, included window tint for the front windows, 50 bucks worth of gas, and got me out of the dealer quickly.

I will for sure. I'm amazed so far at it's sure-footed-ness. Can't spin a tire, the traction control and auto 4x4 seem to work really well together. It's awesome that it's under the warranty. I'm sure I'll be the only person with an 02 still in factory warranty 2 years from now.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back