How pissy is U-Haul going to be? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

How pissy is U-Haul going to be?

If I told them I have a Mountaineer and I show up with my Explorer?

Also if I have the Class III/IV hitch on my '02 do I have a 6 or 7 prong plug? I am trying to get an adapter to 4 prongs.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Too many variable uncertainty to determine outcome - just try it and see ;)

Too many variable uncertainty to determine outcome - just try it and see ;)

I have done it before, but that was from a place that just happened to have U-Hauls, this time its actually from a U-Haul Corporate store.

The only problem is my fallback vehicle is my 95 Explorer! hahah... I wounder if my moms POS Bravada has a hitch.

If I told them I have a Mountaineer and I show up with my Explorer?

Also if I have the Class III/IV hitch on my '02 do I have a 6 or 7 prong plug? I am trying to get an adapter to 4 prongs.

My '02 has the tow package, and it has a 7 prong connector. But Ford provided a 7 to 4 adapter with the vehicle. Mine was thrown in the compartment with the Jack.

you can also get them at meijers. .or anywhere. . .
See if you can rent it using the Bravda or any other CAR tell them your waiting on the Mounty so leave it in their parking lot till they close. . .if you really need it i wouldn't show up in a Ex who knows what they will say. . . .

They're not going to say anything except 'See ya!'

My '02 has the tow package, and it has a 7 prong connector. But Ford provided a 7 to 4 adapter with the vehicle. Mine was thrown in the compartment with the Jack.

We got ours used, and it did not come with a connector, so I am going to have to get one tonight, thanks for this info!

I think we are going to pick it up with my Mom's Bravada and go back to her house and then switch it, she only lives about a mile or so away so its not that much of an inconvenience.

Whenever I see a thread like this I have to add:

Uhaul is stupid.

Uhaul told me I couldn't drag my 97 with their dolly, so I told them I was going to drag a 97 Accord and they said ok. I tied up the driveshaft and drug that baby home.

When you show up with the Explorer just tell them that you are taking the trailer to your home tro pick up the car, 'cause your wife/SO is driving the car today.

I've rented from U-haul a thousand times, never had a problem........but I got a Mounty,lol.

Just tell them that the explorer IS a mounty, tell them you re-badged it,lol.
half the people there are too dumb to know what the different is anyways.
(there really isnt a differences other than the ####ing exterior plastics.....)

Didn't someone on here say their buddy re-badged his explorer to say mountaineer or something???
Or someone pulled up with an explorer, the u-haul guy said "no explorers buddy" and the guy said "oh it's not an explorer, its a mountaineer"......even though the badges CLEARLY said Ford and Explorer right on the truck,lol......and the u-haul guy STILL let him rent it because he was blind as a bat.

Every single time I rented U-hauls in the past, ive NEVER ONCE had anyone inspect my vehicle or EVEN LOOK AT IT....

Just park on the side of the building....tell em its for a Mountaineer, usually the dollies and trailers are OUT of sight, all they will see is a SUV....wont be able to tell what kind it is.

The LEGAL problem is......if you get in an accident, the cops going to know it aint a mountaineer once he looks at your registration.
And U-haul will likely find out.....
BUT all you gotta do is tell the cop the idiot at U-haul wrote the wrong vehicle down.....just play dumb when in doubt.

Whenever I see a thread like this I have to add:

Uhaul is stupid.

Yeah, I say screw U-haul. use someone else. All Explorer, Mountaineer and Aviator owners should boycott them. PERIOD. No renting trucks, trailers, even a freaking dolly! :thumbdwn:

They wouldn't even rent a vehicle tow trailer (NOT DOLLY)....you know, one of the 15ft dual axle trailers...to tow behind one of *their* trucks, because my mom wanted to put an Explorer *on* the tow trailer....

I think it's funny how they will be happy to sell you a tow hitch for your Ex, but when it comes to renting a trailer to pull even with their own hitches, they won't do it :thumbdwn:

Because of this, I go to Penske....

I think thats because the Explorer is too big for U-haul's car trailer - which are typically made from aluminum and not really meant for SUVs.

I know nothing....:rolleyes:

:p:

Trailer5.jpg

We have rented at the one here and the one in my town. Never been a problem with the explorer.

I think thats because the Explorer is too big for U-haul's car trailer - which are typically made from aluminum and not really meant for SUVs.

More info: http://www.uhaul.com/guide/index.aspx?equipment=towing-autotransport

They fit, we took it home and put it on ourselves...they just wouldn't do it there, and wouldn't rent it to her once she said she wanted to tow an explorer on it. I went the same day and rented it in my name, and said I was putting a Chevy Trailblazer on it...they gave it to me on the spot....took it home, we put the Explorer on it, and away she went.

I would hope their dual axle trailers can hold a 3000 pound vehicle :thumbdwn:

I would hope their dual axle trailers can hold a 3000 pound vehicle :thumbdwn:

Not sure what your Explorer's had done to it, but the curb weight on a 4-door is usually around 4500+. 2-doors are around 4300.

-Joe

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Yeah sorry I mispoke - by "big" I meant the weight of the vehicle.

Back