how tight to torque wheel bearing nut? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

how tight to torque wheel bearing nut?

HeyZeus

Reaction score
City, State
Fort Leonard Wood, Missouri
Year, Model & Trim Level
Explorer 91 XLT
2 questions;

1. How tight do I torque the nut that tightens the front wheel bearings?

2. Do I lubricate the automatic locking hubs, cam piece, etc?

Here is why I ask.....

I just repacked the my front wheel bearings with grease and cleaned the auto hub parts.

Nothing on the hub parts looked damaged, just extremley crusted in dirt and old grease. I'm hoping that they were just TOO dirty to let my front end engage.

When I tightend the wheel bearing nut, I did it the ol standard way of tightening all the way and then backing it out 1/4 turn and check for side play on the rotor. There is no play.

On the hub parts, I cleaned them VERY well and put them back in WITHOUT grease.

When I road tested it, it now makes a strange noise from the front wheels.

Could it be because I need to grease or lube the hub parts??

Any comments would be appreciated so I can get my explorer back on the road tonight.

Thanks

zeus

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

you need to tighten the nut to 35lbs/ft, back off a 1/4 turn re-torque to 16 lbs/in.

Thanks!!!

How about the auto hub pieces and parts? Do they go in clean and dry or do I lube them? Is so, with grease, oil or what?

Thanks

the noise is gone!! :)) Thanks!! I torqued to 35 FT lbs, then backed off 1/4 turn then tighted to 16 inch pounds.

I also put a VERY light coat of grease on the inside of the hub assembly...hope that wont hurt it.

nonetheless the noise is gone. Thanks again... If anyone has any advise on lubing the auto hubs let me know.

Zeus

definately don't put to much in the hubs or they won't work.I think I read on here to use atf fluid, but not sure. do a search on it and you will find all kinds of info.

Auto hubs litteraly wear out. The wear is not from using the 4x4, but from not using it. You should accru $ for manuals in the near future. I have a few pics of how they wear out. Hubs need to be disassembled to see this for yourself.

Can you send me the pics of what the look like worn out?

I disassembled mine yesterday and they looked ok to me. Problem is that I really dont know what "OK" is supposed to look like. nothing looked broken or anything but they were HEAVILY custed in dried grease and dirt. I cleaned them up really good and put them back together. I have not tried them yet because I am trying to find out how to lube them first. It seems like they should have some lube but I'm not sure what type and how much.

05 Sport track axle nut.

Can anyone tell me what size of axle nut is on my 05 Ford explorer sport track 4x4. Just want to get the right socket ready for when I put new hubs on next week. I appreciate it.
Some have told me 31-32 mm
31mm = 1.22"
32mm = 1.26"
35mm = 1.38"
36mm = 1.41"
Thanks,
Aaron

Back