How to: 2nd Gen Blend Door Quick Fix | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

How to: 2nd Gen Blend Door Quick Fix

What are the symptoms of a bad blend door. My 95 EX is just blowing the air through the defrost vents no matter what the dial is set on. any ideas? no temp changes though.

Tim

no temp changes = blend door or blend door motor
steady defrost vent output could be a bad vacuum door or loose/broken vac hose.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I thought so but just wanted to make sure. now I just have to listen for the hissssss.

Tim

go figger first 100 deg day here and my door give's up the gost. So thank you all for info. Going to out and cut a hole slap the door over tape it all back up then order the new parts to fix it right.
One fast ? My servo motor is now clicking all the time. Am I going to need a new one?

Hey guys!

im having a weird prob with my mounty's A/C.

At realatively high speed with the A/C on Max A/C (..and normal A/C as well) cold air intermittently starts coming out of the defrost vents and air stops coming out of the front vents completely. At lower speeds (and idle) i noticed that i can feel cold air coming from the defrost vents. Does this sound like a blend door prob?

and this may be something unrelated but i can hear a clicking sound from the vents when it is on Max A/C and not when it is on normal A/C. If it was the blower then it would sound all the time...rite?

Thanks in advance

Holy Hell, that was awesome! Thanks for the How-To for a quick fix! It took me about two minutes to cut the hole and reach in...now my AC works again!!!

what if you can hear the blend door closing?

I could hear mine creak closed/open for a while before it stopped moving all together. I say if it still works, don't worry about it, but if it stops working, use the quick fix.

How do you keep the Blend Door open? Mine is as stiff as it can be and I have no idea how to keep it open

Amazingly easy. I went for the vertical cut on the right side, used a sawtooth steak knife and pushed the door aside. Piece o cake. And, most importantly,The Boss is happy.

Blend door

Hey guys, new to this forum. Great site. This is my first post.

I just replaced the heater box in my 97. Was not aware of the alternate fixes until now. Having said that, pulling the dash is really not all that bad. I bet if I had it to do all over again, I could R&R that heater box in less than 4 hours. Sure looks bettter to me than some of the "quick fixes" I'm seeing.

this might be a stupid question, but is a BLEMD DOOR???

so if its broken, it wont flap ,right??? thanks for your help!

Blend Door Flap needed.

G'day guys,

Barry from Melbourne Australia here and I need help please. I have a '96 XLT with a broken blend door flap. My AC works OK but heating has gone and it is the middle of our winter here.

My mechanic can not find me a replacement part anywhere in Oz as my car is an import and Ford Australia don't stock these parts. No wreckers here have an old XLT either.

If anyone can point me in the right direction for a part from the USA to fit a '96 XLT without me getting ripped off, I'd appreciate it.

Cheers,

Baz
therandalls@aapt.net.au

Further to my last post, I have found a place that will ship me a blend door but they want $55 to post it!!

A few q's if anyone can help:

1. Because my 96 XLT is in Oz it is right hand drive, this means my glove box is on the left. Is the blend door on the right side of the motor? If so I can't go in via the glove box.

2. How much is a blend motor (roughly) and is it a big job to fix?

3. How can you tell if the problem is the door or the motor? I just don't want the Ford mechanics here to rip me off with repair costs. My A/C works but when I select heating it is just cool (not A/C chilled) air that comes out. It still comes out slow or fast depending on the speed setting, just has no heat in it.

If anyone can suggest a supplier that doesn't charge like a wounded bull for their shipping I'd appreciate the info.

Cheers,
Bazza, Melbourne.

Can someone please post the "pin tests" to go through to test the operation of the EATC unit? Photos would also be very helpful. My blend door actuator is not working (it's brand new) so I suspect a bad control unit. Tried one I bought off Ebay "guaranteed" 100% operational but didn't fix the problem either. Could be wiring but need some help in exactly how to track down the problem. Thanks.

Ok so after reading all the fixes, I figured an easy way out of this. I removed the servo actuator at the top and manualy oened the door. Then placed duct tape to hold the door open at top of case. Shoved servo back in top, ( did not install it). Closed the glove box up started the truck and heat.
Took me about 5 minutes to repair. Now when summer comes I just remove tape and move the door the other way. This will work until I get the energy to remove the entire assembly and replace the door itself. I don't like cutting holes in the case, it looks too sloppy.
I guess being an ASE mechanic for over 30 years took its toll on me.;)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Just fixed my Blend door

Just got finished last weekend with blend door fix.

I ordered the blend door repair Kit from Napa:

http://www.napaonline.com/MasterPag...10&Description=Heater+Blend+Door+Repair+Latch

This kit has cutting template and hardware to repair from the TOP of the box. Not gonna happen if its still in vehicle, so all you will use is the blend door itself.

Removed Glovebox, passenger seat and blend door control unit. (made sure it was correct one. If you have a manual heat AC control it should have a sticker on top saying "MAN")

cut out bottom of box using a dremel and hack saw blade in a triangle shape.

Dropped cut out bottom and old door.

Replaced Blend door with one from Napa. Reinstalled Blend door control and dry fitted bottom Holding in place with duct tape.

Tested functionality (woo hoo worked)

Removed duct tape

Used some stainless sheet metal to strips to secure the cut out bottom in 4 places (attached with JB Weld) and sealed all the seams of my cuts with JB weld ensuring i didn't use too much as to seep into the box.

Let it dry and works like a champ.

Less than $15.00 in parts couple of hours (with kids "Help") to complete repair.

Back