How to: 2nd gen bodylift - PA 883 Bodylift Instructions | Page 10 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

How to: 2nd gen bodylift - PA 883 Bodylift Instructions

I only disconnected the battery when I did mine. I never had a problem with it. I did take the front seats out which gave me plenty of room to access the bolts without getting near the steering wheel.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I have also searched this forum for gas tank or fuel tank concerns when lifting the body 3" and unable to find an answer. Is there enough slack in the fill hose that a 3" lift is not a concern regarding the fuel tank?

I had no issues with the length of the filler hose. I'd definitely check it as your lifting it, but there should be enough slack.

So today I followed the BL process down to where we start taking the 10 body to frame bolts out and started with the rearmost driver side hoping to not have to use heat. Well I only got a couple turns on the wrench and the whole mount started spinning. So I stopped for today so I can go get a torch. So I was just wondering has anyone tried just sawzalling these bolts out? I mean since new ones come with the kit.

It's been a long time so I'm not sure, but I think I remember using a cutoff wheel on a hand grinder and cutting them off that way.

ok well nevermind that sawzall comment. Now that I have removed all 10 body to frame bolts I see why you dont want to just cut them. I am almost done with this whole body lift process and I cant stress enough how important it is to heat the bolts up first, really makes the job easier. If I may also add to move your power seats forward before disconnecting the battery, The hardest part so far has been reaching the bolts behind the drivers and passenger front seat. I also dont understand why theres mention of removing the firewall ground strap, it is plenty long enough (on my exp sport anyway). So tomorrow I will play with the bumper brackets and replace the face. Let's see if I can post a pic.

well if the pic doesnt post then i guess i dont know how to on this site.

if you are not a paid member of the site you have to host the picture on the web somewhere else such as Photobucket.

I didn't need to use any heat to remove my bolts, BUT! plenty of PB blaster everyday for a week before I even thought about doing the body lift. and then more as I was doing the lift was in order to help take out the bolts.

I didn't even think about my straps till I saw they were pulled apart. But I have to make new ones anyway because they were shot.

Job is finished. I cant understand all the conversation about the rear bumper brackets. I just put my rear bumper back on the same way it came off and yea ther's a gap between the top of the bumper and the tailgate but it looks ok to me. Tires and wheels are next.

well
some people don't like the gap between the body and the bumper.

it's all preference I guess. I was going to leave mine low, but after I raised it up into the stock location I liked the look better

and it gives me room for my on board air tanks right behind the bumper and receiver.

Anyone done a write up for the 853 kit for a below 98 model? I have a 97 sport, is it pretty much the same as this?

ok well nevermind that sawzall comment. Now that I also dont understand why theres mention of removing the firewall ground strap, it is plenty long enough (on my exp sport anyway).

I didn't need to use any heat to remove my bolts, BUT! plenty of PB blaster everyday for a week before I even thought about doing the body lift. and then more as I was doing the lift was in order to help take out the bolts.

I can vouch for both of these statements. I've never used heat to remove but PB blaster and an impact wrench go a looooong way. If that doesn't work (which is usually the case on the mounts below the front seats) I just take a dremel to it and let that mount be a dummy.

I just put my rear bumper back on the same way it came off and yea ther's a gap between the top of the bumper and the tailgate but it looks ok to me.

Take it to a shop and have it done professionally, it's worth every penny. If they want more than $200 politely decline and find somewhere else.

316100_2543087894797_1181701358_3125689_652591864_n.jpg

Oh and when you do your body lift, before you get your bumpers remounted into your new height after the body lift, dont forget to take off your spare tire ;)

Worked on my 2000 Sport. Only issue is the bumper brackets. You may need to get creative or just buy an aftermarket bumper.

Bumpbumpbump, write-up has been completed! Comments/suggestions are more than welcome! Please let me know how i did and recommend this for a sticky, i spent over 8 hours on the write-up alone! :D

I would Like to thanks you a lot for all the time that you spent in your microsoft word or notepad to write that up. Because you helped me so much. I'm not done for the moment with it. I did that on my U2 5 doors 4.0L SOHC... And i want to add also the fact that i had trouble to take off the bolt of the frame... Anyway, i made it because you told about the propane torch. And i had something to help me out also. I'll show in my post and i'll link you.

And what size of tire can i put now ?

Thanks a lot again.

:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

After doing the 3" body lift andthe TT/shackle helper spring thing I now have 285-75/r16 Kelly Safaris all the way around. I had them mounted on the factory wheel.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back