How to: 2nd gen bodylift - PA 883 Bodylift Instructions | Page 12 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

How to: 2nd gen bodylift - PA 883 Bodylift Instructions

nice looking ex there.

how much lift is i that thing?

I like the overhead lights

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I'm guessing at least 5", its got the 3" body lift ( I didnt bother raising the rear bumper because i am installing a custom bumper at a later date) I turned the Torsion bars for @ 1-3/4", maybe 2" lift to the front and the rear has the Warrior shackles and AAL which might have lifted the rear @ 2". A set of 285/75 16's raised it a tad. It is perfect for the off roading that I do.

I cant wait to do this to my 1999 Sport! I'm up in Canada tho and it gets cold up here, hows the creaking in the cold? anything i can do during install to help keep that down? also how long about does it take (i work as a mechanic so i know my way around but havent done anything like this before). After the BL and TT and rear shackles can you fit 33"s without rubbing?

start soaking the body mounts with pb blaster before starting. a propane torch to heat the bolts to loosen the lock tite on the threads. i found that to be the easiest way to break them loose, unless an impact gun is handy. every truck is different so rubbing could be a possiblity. i had to trim the plastic fender wells. also, if you have running boards, you may have to trim them to allow clearance. my tires caught when i tried to turn. in my case, i took off the boards.

I cant wait to do this to my 1999 Sport! I'm up in Canada tho and it gets cold up here, hows the creaking in the cold? anything i can do during install to help keep that down? also how long about does it take (i work as a mechanic so i know my way around but havent done anything like this before). After the BL and TT and rear shackles can you fit 33"s without rubbing?

it should take about 8 hours to do the body lift by yourself. if you have help it might take less time.

if everything comes apart easily, then you should be able to do it in about 6 hours. ;)

I had to trim my front fenders and some plastic from the bumper because my 33s rubbed.

I spaced my front bumperr forward and up, and had to just trim the front of my running boards to clear my 33 x12.5 duratracs. That's with 2 BL and TT/shackles. But every 33 will measure differently.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0006PU7NY/ref=pe_175190_21431760_cs_sce_dp_1

Ok SOB. I ordered that one which is the 833 instead of 883, what's the differance or am i gonna have to send it back and postpone everything?

I have the 21st set for the lift and it should be in by like Thursday.
Please quick reply is awesome +10points.

Hello, seriously i think you will get some issue with the bolt lenght. The problem that i had with the 883 was the bolt but i was able to cut them and make a new path. And also a part is missing for the steering wheel you really need it if you want to turn correctly...

And carfull when you put it on the jack to be sure that you raise it not too much. Do not unbolt both side also cause you will make it go away and the chassi will stand.

if you need other information just PM Me

Hello, seriously i think you will get some issue with the bolt lenght. The problem that i had with the 883 was the bolt but i was able to cut them and make a new path. And also a part is missing for the steering wheel you really need it if you want to turn correctly...

And carfull when you put it on the jack to be sure that you raise it not too much. Do not unbolt both side also cause you will make it go away and the chassi will stand.

if you need other information just PM Me

Was your part number a typo? I returned it and got the other. I will be getting
883. It said it comes with steering extension and so on. I'm doing the sloped body lift and SOA. Do you happen to have advise for that and do I just undo one side and use the jack on the body? Buddy has a hi lift and could probably lift right under the doors? Sound good?

Looking for advice

Greetings folks. I'm in the middle of the 883 lift on my 2001 Sport, and I've been following these instructions. Great stuff here. Definitely saved me many times.

Unfortunately, it couldn't save me from myself. After getting the new bolts locked down and the radiator dropped, I went along checking and reconnecting the stuff that was taken apart prior to the lift. I had a very hard time getting the transmission shift cable back in it's bracket on the tranny right next to the shifter arm. When I gave it some extra persuasion with both hands, I snapped the end of the plastic assembly that goes through the clip. The cable is stil there, but the outside is cracked clean, so it might pull the arm, but it will never push it back.

So here's the questions ...

1) Do I need to replace the entire shifter cable, or can the end just be replaced?

2) If I need to replace the entire cable, is there a similar model that also uses the steering column shifter and the 5R55 tranny that might have a slightly longer cable? If I have to change it, why not make up for the 3" lift?

3) If I have to use the same stock cable, is there any adjustment under the dash or elsewhere that might give me some extra length? I removed the cable from the one guide on the firewall it was in, but just couldn't seem to make it reach back into the bracket.

Any and all advice welcome. I'm sure I'll work something out, but I might save a few days and a few bucks in someone can point me in the right direction.

Thanks,
John :exp:

What did everyone do with the tow hooks on the front on your body lifted Sports?
Cut thru the bumper and remount them? Or just toss them on the shelf?

On the shelf with mine. Going to use the mounting platforms they were on to attached a front hitch mount, which should let the hitch or hook that I slap in there come out right through the lower opening in the bumper and bumper cover.

I just bolted mine back where they came from
tow_hooks_1.png

tow_hooks_2.png

On the shelf with mine. Going to use the mounting platforms they were on to attached a front hitch mount, which should let the hitch or hook that I slap in there come out right through the lower opening in the bumper and bumper cover.

Post a couple pictures once your done with that, i'd like to see that.

Will do.

And Flyinv55, that's a great custom bumper. Bought or made?

I bought this great bumper after reading about them here..http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=804730
Made by RLC Welding, Louisville, KY

It was shipped to me (free) to Tacoma, WA. and I shot it with several coats of Rustoleum truck bed liner. I have used the winch 5 times now and the bumper has worked great! This is a great bumper at a great price!

Looks like a pretty sweet bumper!

Another question. When the stock body mount bolts are heated up, does this damage the OEM body mount insulators?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The first one did tend to 'char' the OEM insulator, but that was how I determined how much heat NOT to put on the bolts. I just reused the 'seared' insulator, havent noticed any problems now 6 months later and after winching 5 vehicles out of various stages of immobilization.

Back