How to: 2nd gen bodylift - PA 883 Bodylift Instructions | Page 7 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

How to: 2nd gen bodylift - PA 883 Bodylift Instructions

just used this write up a couple days ago to put my lift on and u def need another pair of hands wish i had the extra set. i only found 2 issues. (1) some bolts were to long (2) my rad didnt want to drop at all had some tabs that didnt want to work with me so got the rad droped as best as i could and it seems to work now but it wedge up against the stock rad mounts and i did use the drop brackets for the top

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Great thread gentlemen! Thank you very much for the effort put into this thread. The X's look fantastic! I hope to have the time and huevos to do this this year.

I'm looking at getting this body lift for my 1997 Ford Explorer and as i was getting ready to purchase it i noticed the LONG list of "before you buy notes" :p And it said that it will not fit on vehicles with an automatic transmission.....Does that apply to our explorers as well? and if so is there a way around this?

nope its not true. you probably saw the note for the shifter extension which is for manual transmissions ONLY. and no it does not apply. i have an automatic and so does the one in this writeup

I'll be attempting this tomorrow using ShadowRaven's writeup. I'll post some pics when I'm done.

Looking forward to pics!

No pics yet, but I'm 90% of the way there. One note I have for anyone who might attempt this is that if you have a manual transmission, make sure that you unmount it before lifting the body. I figured I would do this step last, but there are a few parts of the body that are attached to the shifter and will get stretched as the body is being lifted. I was busy watching brake lines and other wiring, but failed to notice this happening inside that cab.

Still have to do the bumpers and tighten down a few body to frame mounts that I couldn't stop from spinning, but overall it went well. I did have some issues with the steering extension, mentioned here: http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?p=2511964#post2511964

If there's anything I can answer for anyone, feel free to ask!

cbeneke-albums-explorer-picture29193-p4021995.jpg

cbeneke-albums-explorer-picture29192-p4021994.jpg

cbeneke-albums-explorer-picture29194-p4021996.jpg

cbeneke-albums-explorer-picture29195-p4021997.jpg

cbeneke-albums-explorer-picture33144-p8080054.jpg

cbeneke-albums-explorer-picture33145-p8080055.jpg

neke-albums-explorer-picture33146-p8080056-noplate.jpg

neke-albums-explorer-picture33147-p8080057-noplate.jpg

The first four pictures are from when I got the truck before the body lift and CB antenna and the last four pictures are after. I just put on 33's, but I don't have pics of that yet. After I get the fenders trimmed, I'll throw them up somewhere.

Hey RaveDigger,
Ive got a 2000 sport very simular to yours, hey id love to see pic of your 33s cuz i just got the 2" body and shackles i had a couple of questions like how much rub did you have after the lift, what did you have to trim, and how hard was the radiator to drop? Your help is greatly appreciated. Thanks

To be honest, the radiator drop was probably the easiest part of the entire body lift. With the 3 inch lift and torsion twist + shackles, I've got a significant amount of rubbing to the point that it's not driveable at the moment. I'm in the process of deleting all the plastic flares/trim pieces and trimming the fenders. I'll post pics when I get the camera from my GF.

Just a question for those who may have gone through the trim removal process before... how did you fill the holes left in the fenders/rockers? It looks like expanding foam will do just fine on the holes in the body, but above the front and rear wheel wells, it's not a contained area for the foam to expand into. I think I may need some way to cover the holes up before I apply the bedliner. Any suggestions are welcome!

Thanks guys

would this body lift kit work on a 2001 explorer eddie bauer edition. just wanna make sure it would work on there before i order it

would this body lift kit work on a 2001 explorer eddie bauer edition. just wanna make sure it would work on there before i order it

Yes

would this work with a air ride in the back?

Good write-up! brought my laptop into the garage and my old man and i completed it this weekend.

This is the first Explorer Sport Ive seen Lifted.... You have gave me alot of hope! Thanks

Hey guys,
Getting ready to do the body lift on my 2000 explorer this weekend. I went out today to start soaking the bolts with PB Blaster, and my body bolts are so rusted I can't even make out the threads on them. I am expecting them to shear off instead of coming out. Any tips or things I can to to make this easier?

keep spraying them every chance you get. if you can pull the caps on the inside under the carpet and shoot them that way as well. load them up and let it soak in.

get a burns-a-matic torch and heat up the bolt part just before you wrench them out, not too much heat!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Definitely what lounge lizard said. Heat the **** out of the bolts to melt the threadlock before you try to remove them.

Back