How to: 2nd gen bodylift - PA 883 Bodylift Instructions | Page 8 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

How to: 2nd gen bodylift - PA 883 Bodylift Instructions

Thanks for the reply's. From what I can see sticking out the bottom of the body mounts, there are no threads left. They are R.U.B.A.R (Rusted Up Beyond All Recognition.) I will still keep oiling them daily, and try heating them this weekend.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You guys have been a big help so far, but I need a little more help. Well the bolts weren't as bad as I was expecting. I only sheared two of them off. One of the front engine compartment bolts and one behind the drivers seat. I could probably cut the bottom of the middle mount off and replace it. Or is there a way I would be able to save it? Also what to do about the one in the engine compartment? It is still attached to the body and frame and I don't think I can get a grinder on top of it.

that may not be the case.

the body bolts do not have threads to the end. they have a shaft like beginning for alignment in the factory so people don't have to make sure the bolt threads in the hole correctly. they just drop them in the body hole and ram them with an impact gun

The two bolts that sheared off did so about 1/2 inch from the head of the bolt. Would it be worth while to try to drill them out, or just sawzall the mounts in half and buy new ones?

If the head of the bolt is sheared off, can you remove the body mount from the bottom? If there is nothing holding the bolt and mount in place, you should be able to remove the mount with the bolt still attached assuming it's missing the head.

Unless I'm not understanding what's actually going on. Are you able to post a picture?

I thought I could slip the mount out with the body up, but I couldn't. The body does lift up, but there must be enough of the bolt left in there keeping the rubber mount together. I'll get some pics.

IMG_0098.jpg

frogfartimports

IMG_0099.jpg

IMG_0100.jpg

IMG_0101.jpg

yea!

I have on like that too unfortunately. was going to do just what you this summer when I have more time to play with it. drill it out or drill a hole through it till it comes out.

sometimes if you start with a small hole and work your way up. it will relieve enough pressure on the threads to let the remaining screw come out.

this is what I'm hoping when I do mine.

my front rad, support bolts were both nutted at the bottom. and both heads broke off. but the mounts themselves came apart which was good. because my lift you had to drill out the threads on the lower half of the body mount and nut the bolt in place.

Okay, maybe I will try a small hole on top and then getting vise grips or welding a bolt to the bottom and try to take it out from the bottom.

that's what I was thinking of doing too. drill a hole in the middle at the top as deep as I can get. then weld something to the bottom and try turning it out

I just finish with the body lift. I ended up having to drill out the sheared off bolt. I tried just drilling out the center of it, but the whole mount spun when I tried to take the bolt out the bottom of it. I am getting and airbag code 36 now. I am hoping that it is because I still have the seats out of it. I will know more after I get done cleaning the carpets and put the seats back in. Thanks for all your help guys, another project done, well mostly done anyways.

wow!
cool!

no pictures??

I know! once I get in the middle of doing something the camera goes away. in the beginning I take some and at the end. but everyone wants to see the middle. LOL

Sorry about lack of pics. I had a friend over helping and I didn't want to keep stopping to take them. Here is a before and where it's at now.
ex.jpg

IMG_0105.jpg

And also something I wanted to add. I had to cut a small piece of plastic off of the radiator on the driver's side to get the radiator to drop down where it needed to be. I circled it in this pic.
IMG_0103.jpg

It looks like it holds the A/C cooler onto the radiator. I left enough to still hold it on there. It is located just above the lower perch on the driver's side.

that's what I was thinking of doing too. drill a hole in the middle at the top as deep as I can get. then weld something to the bottom and try turning it out

We ended up welding some 3/4" round bar stock to the bottom, had a rachet on top, and just put a cheater bar on and went to town on them... cut it off and rewelded to any stubborn ones...

The airbag codes are most likely due to the seats being out of the vehicle. I think the seats have sensors in them that prevent the airbags from deploying if there is no one in the seat or if the person in the seat weighs under a certain amount.

If the sensors are missing, the system throws a code. I haven't experienced it in my Explorer, but it happened when I had the seats out of my Z.

The only thing I heard about seat and sensors for airbags here at school is that it lets the body computer know to set off that airbag or not in the event of a collision.. so you don't waste an airbag for noone sitting there.. The other thing, maybe for the explosive seat belt retracors as well...

Not too worried about the airbag code yet. The carpets are still a little damp this morning. I should have the seats back in this evening. Other then the bolt shearing off, it was a relatively painless mod to do. It looked a lot more intimidating then it actually was. I will wait on the bumpers because I am going to do the shackle and TT lift as well as an external trans filter next weekend and it will be easier to do with the bumpers off. Was hoping to do the headers next weekend too, but it doesn't look like he will have them made it time.

headers? long tube, shorties? which motor do you have?

I ordered a set of the Torque Monster headers, but they are still going to be a few weeks. I got the seats back in and the air bag light is out now.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I ordered a set of the Torque Monster headers, but they are still going to be a few weeks. I got the seats back in and the air bag light is out now.

Nice, and good to hear that the lamp went out... I wanted some TM headers.. but I picked up a set of long tube headers for a foxbody, they were in pretty bad condition when I got them for 40 bucks.. took them to work, sandblasted them and cermakromed them..
I'm hopeing that they fit... or I will resell them.. they're multipiece for easy installation...
35hhdls.jpg

Back