How to: 3rd Gen BODY LIFT. Install. | Page 16 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

also i live much further south than most of you guys so the rust from slat and snow is minimul on my mounts so hopefully they will be easier to get loose.thanks for the help, i'm sure ill be back with more questions shortly lol

also, do i have to take the grill out to get the front bumper off?

one side down one side to go, not near as hard as I expected, the front mounts are gonna be tricky though.

i'll have to get them uploaded soon. not near as bad as expected but i have you guys to thank for that!! everything went back together perfectly, think i got a little crazy with trimming the fan shroud but oh well. also looking at getting some tires now. ANyone head of the Definity Dakota M/T? They sell them at Pep Boys, and look nice and not very pricey.

yeah man i have the definity dakota m/t size 285//75/16 on my explorer and i have about 5000 miles on them and so far they've been great

Thanks buddy for the help. I will grab that next friday.

Body lift going in today in 1 hour from now. Doing it in my buddies shop, then new rubber in few days. Going with Cooper tires I think, price is right and tread is aggressive and they are rated great for mud, snow and ice conditions which we have. Thanks to all that have posted on this. Big help

Well I just got new rims and tires. 285/75r16s fit on an 06 with 3" body lift, the tires rub at full turn. I also had to take the running boards off.

Well guys got my 3" lift in and it was a pain. 2pm to 11pm, many problems, many broken bolts. Was able to flip the back bumper support over and drill new holes to mount the brace/hitch assembly. Then I had to notch the inside bumper foam out to fit right. After that I had to use a cutoff saw on the lower bumper brace to change the angle to the bumper cover mounted good. I have cell pics and when I get the time I will get then on here. I only have one issue I can feel my engine revving in my gas pedal. I need to do a full look over today on it all. My bolts on my body mounts where almost rotted through on most, we broke many of them and it was a pain removing the old broken stuff let me tell ya. Front bumper mounts where perfect out of the box and mounted right up and the bumper went right on. I used the kit I asked about a few posts above.

So has anyone been having a draft coming inside the vehicle after the lift that wasn't there before? I know nothing on the inside is messed with but i am getting a draft big time coming from behind the glove box area. Just curious if i am the only one with this problem.

Got two quick questions for you guys.

1. I have a brush guard, I'm guessing with the BL I'll have to make brackets to raise that up 3" also?

2. Does anyone who's good with CAD or just mechanical drawing have drawings of the brackets some used for the rear bumper? I forget why, but I remember figuring out that I can't just flip mine...

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Yes you will have to make a bracket for your bar. As for the rear hitch you can flip it and it is easy. I will make you guys a pic showing what to drill and what to remove off of it so your bumper cover fits correctly. Peoples heads turn in town here, I believe I have the only lifted 3rd gen in this small town...will get back to you guys with all my pics.

Back