Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

How to: C4/D20 Swap in Progress

Discussion in 'Offroad Projects' started by CarFreak146, February 2, 2005.

• Searches ExplorerForum.com
    1. Sarge_AF

Sarge_AF New Member

City, State:
      Prattville, Alabama
      Year, Model & Trim Level:
      91 Eddie
      Just to keep this thread alive, I'll post a couple pics of my crossmember. I didn the same pan fill C4/Dana20 swap in my junk. I used a B&M Mega shifter for the Trans, and a Wildhorses twin stick setup for the T-Case. Here's a few pics of the X-member, and one of my rig, and My son.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself, and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments directly to your posts and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

to hide adverts.
    3. 94stepsideford

94stepsideford New Member

City, State:
      Hinesburg, VT
      99 ranger 4.0
      So this same swap should werk for my 99 ranger right?

does the v8 and v6 c-4 have the same input spline count?

4. sn0border88

sn0border88 Master Apprentice Elite Explorer

City, State:
      Souderton, PA
      1992 XLT
      Whats 4x4's had c4's? I think 302 stangs had them too, what is needed to convert the tailshaft?

Along with the c4, 2.8/2.9 V^ flexplate and spacer, bellhousing and TC are needed? And a 2.8/9 starter must be used?

How about comuter issues, there would be a permanent CEL with this correct?

Last edited: October 28, 2006
    5. 410Fortune

410Fortune ELITE BRONCO2ERER Moderator Emeritus

City, State:
      Crawlorado
      B2 Mod
      You can use the stock column shifter with some small mods to the shift detent plate and for bling factor to the indicator plastic

6. javiscancino

javiscancino New Member

City, State:
      SAN YSIDRIO
      92 FORD EXPLORER
      hi there, i been searching for info about a c5 c4 trannys, too much info but really don't know how accurate they are, so, i been doing my own research, i have a c5 that is on the proccess to be install on my 92 ford explorer, 4.o ohv BW 1354, i already ask to some pros and they said that c4 c5 are the same, physically the c5 it's a late version of the c4, has some upgrades to the c4, the inner parts, like clutchs, bands, they use the same,, input and output shaft are the same but the c5 has some bigger holes to lub, valve bodys are different but u can place a c4 valve body on a c5 , pan fill or case fill that varies depending from where did you get your c4, van auto or truck, ok, well, if you know any other difference, please, let us know,

.to install that c5 behind the 4.0 ohv, u need the bellhousing out of a 85 b2 2.8, the flywheel out of the 4.0 auto, also the 4.0 manual starter wont work, need to be replace for a long one, from the auto tranny,
      [​IMG]
      [​IMG]
      [​IMG]

7. michellejocy

michellejocy New Member

2002 XLS
      Why does my jerk really hard in the front when i change gears and how much does a front transfer case cost brand new for ford explorer 2002 xls

8. rhauf

rhauf Well-Known Member

City, State:
      Ca
      '93 and '91 explorer
      you resurrected a 3 year old thread for an unrelated topic to ask this question? you should just start a new thread

also, check to make sure it's full of fluid, and if the check engine light is on (i'm guessing it is) check the codes and see what you get (autozone will rent you a tool to check if you dont have one.. or buy one for like 25 bux)

9. wontonsploder

wontonsploder New Member

City, State:
      Florissant Colorado
      91 xlt
      im doing a 5.0 ho c5 swap in my explorer. i took the transmision to a pro to get it measured for a torque converter, after ordering a custom c4/c5 torque converter we found out my transmision had allready been set up with c4 parts, now i havce a 400$custom torque converter that does no good. If any body has a c5 bellhousing (The deeper one) and would like to trade or sell it for a good c4 bellhousing that would be most helpfull, i dont want to eat the cost of the custom converter and it should work if i can locate the correct c5 bell. any info or thoughts would be great, email me at White4_6@live.com