How to: - How To: Change A Fuel Pump Relay-91-94X | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

How to: How To: Change A Fuel Pump Relay-91-94X

Prefix for threads which are instructional.

Tbars4

Moderator Emeritus
Elite In Memoriam
Reaction score
City, State
anaheim hills,california
Year, Model & Trim Level
95 ranger 4x4/ 91 X 4x4
...Is Your truck possesed???...Do you hear a whir noise after you shut your truck off and pull the keys???...Do you come out to your truck after it sits for 2-3 days and it is completely dead???...:scratch:

...You may be in need of this fix....there are several other items that may cause these symptoms, but this seems to be a common one in which my X was also inflicted with...this is a simple fix but after researching it and reading diagrahm's, i had trouble locating the hidden relay...I had changed one of these on one of my old F250's and luckily remembered where the relay location was...:bounce:

WARNING as usual, this is what i did to fix my problem...attempt do do this at your own risk...;)

First and foremost, disconnect your positive and negative cables before attempting to work on anything electrical on your vehicle...

NOTE....if your first gen has the relays inside the power distribution box, don't look underneath for a relay...:D
...This is also similar to do on Second gen X's except the power distribution box sits in the engine bay in front of the driver and the relay itself is easily located inside with the fuses...

...This is your power distribution box, located on your passenger fender...
fp_relay1.jpg

...If you open it up you will find large relay fuses...
fp_relay2.jpg

...If you look under the cover, you will see where it says "Fuel Relay", this is only the fuse for the fuel relay...mine is the one in the rear of the box...(left side of this cover)
fp_relay3.jpg

...If you look under the box you will see a set of 3 plug-ins...these are actually plugged into your realays
fp_relay4.jpg

...on mine, I had to remove the plug in the back, directly under my fuel pump relay fuse...
fp_relay5.jpg

..If you look close you will see a sliver of metal in which this relay is attached...you will need a flathead screwdriver to pry it to the outside with one hand, as you use your other hand to pull it loose...(i actually had to unscrew my power distribution box from the fender so i could have access to work)
fp_relay6.jpg

...after it was removed i noticed it was a ford part and this is what it looks like...i found the replacement relay ranging in prices from 12-45 dollars
fp_relay7.jpg

HINTS
motorcraft replacement relay seems to be the choice for replacement as they last

If you take your relay in, they will read the number off of it to cross reference it with the new one...below are the prices that matched up with my originally numbered Ford relay of -F19B9345A2A, autozone did not even try to cross reference...;)
Autozone-11.99 = 3 mo. warranty (most people have these go out in a couple months)
Kragen/shuck's/checker - 21.99 = 1yr. warranty (niehoff PN# RY71)
Pepboy's-24.99 = 1 yr. warranty (borg/warner PN-R647 = the one I bought)

...I hope this will be useful to those who have the same problem...Good Luck on your project...:D
_________________________________________________________________________________

...For info on other "No Start" conditions...

...This thread may help diagnose your no start problem if it's electrical..
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=146784

...If it's fuel related, there are several test to be found in this thread...
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=221335

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

...thanks bb, it seems to be that time of year for this problem and having an early first gen made it more dificult to locate the darn relay...;)

Another tip is to use some lubricant spary to help slide the plastic parts out. I suggest vegatable oil (pam). I had problems with non brand relay, replaced it with motorcraft and no problems. Also many will replace the ECU relay when replacing the fuel pump relay.

...:thumbsup: good points...

...my relay did not want to come out and i was expecting the housing had melted....it was not the case....after years of sitting on there i guess they just bonded...:scratch:

...i just updated with current prices, part numbers, and warranties...;)

Thanks for the info...Mine is sticking now, and I was having an awful time finding it, I could not even locate it in my chilton's manual.

...you are very welcome...:D

...i have a haynes book and on pg. 12-21 it has the 91 explorer 4.0L engine wiring diagram which shows a relay...everything else in the book references it, but none show where it is located...:confused:

...i'm not sure if this is related to my relay swap but i just filled up and checked my milage...305mi., 18.5 gal, 16.48 mpg....and that is all city...:confused:

...i don't remember adding any fuel and i have only seen that kind of milage in my X on long hwy driving...

this doesn't apply to a 1994 ex, my power distribution box has different relays and they're on top with the fuses

...like the second gen's correct??? i know not all first gens got wired alike and i believe this is mainly for the 91,92, and possibly some 93 models but i posted it as 91-94 for the first gens..
....if your first gen has the relays inside the power distribution box, don't look underneath for a relay...:D

Thanks again, I found it and replaced it with the Ford relay, and I have not heard the pump run since when I shut the ex off. It actually seems to run a little better also, but it has only been a day.

Ted, I might kiss you the next time I see you.

Just kidding, BUT I'm having a sluggish issue, we pulled CODE 96, the truck still runs, but the battery is getting killed if it sits for a while, my mileage sucks (10 mpg with 35s and 4.56s) and there is just a serious lack of power. It sounds like this is it. I'm running out right now to yank it.

ALSO, it's very easy to pull the fuse block out and then this relay block pulls out as well.

Ted, I might kiss you the next time I see you.

ALSO, it's very easy to pull the fuse block out and then this relay block pulls out as well.

...Ok but I have to warn you, my dog is the jealous type...:p:

...I unscrewed my power distribution block also...I'm glad you were able to pull a code...:thumbsup:...Mine never thru a code but the relay would start clicking on it's own about an hour after the truck was shut off...

...Is Your truck possesed???...Do you hear a whir noise after you shut your truck off and pull the keys???...Do you come out to your truck after it sits for 2-3 days and it is completely dead???...:scratch:

...You may be in need of this fix....there are several other items that may cause these symptoms, but this seems to be a common one in which my X was also inflicted with...this is a simple fix but after researching it and reading diagrahm's, i had trouble locating the hidden relay...I had changed one of these on one of my old F250's and luckily remembered where the relay location was...:bounce:

WARNING as usual, this is what i did to fix my problem...attempt do do this at your own risk...;)

First and foremost, disconnect your positive and negative cables before attempting to work on anything electrical on your vehicle...

NOTE....if your first gen has the relays inside the power distribution box, don't look underneath for a relay...:D
...This is also similar to do on Second gen X's except the power distribution box sits in the engine bay in front of the driver and the relay itself is easily located inside with the fuses...

...This is your power distribution box, located on your passenger fender...
relay004sa2.jpg

...If you open it up you will find large relay fuses...
relay005pm7.jpg

...If you look under the cover, you will see where it says "Fuel Relay", this is only the fuse for the fuel relay...mine is the one in the rear of the box...(left side of this cover)
relayjf7.jpg

...If you look under the box you will see a set of 3 plug-ins...these are actually plugged into your realays
relay006ey1.jpg

...on mine, I had to remove the plug in the back, directly under my fuel pump relay fuse...
relay002qd9.jpg

..If you look close you will see a sliver of metal in which this relay is attached...you will need a flathead screwdriver to pry it to the outside with one hand, as you use your other hand to pull it loose...(i actually had to unscrew my power distribution box from the fender so i could have access to work)
relay001eo6.jpg

...after it was removed i noticed it was a ford part and this is what it looks like...i found the replacement relay ranging in prices from 12-45 dollars
relay007vc4.jpg

HINTS
motorcraft replacement relay seems to be the choice for replacement as they last

If you take your relay in, they will read the number off of it to cross reference it with the new one...below are the prices that matched up with my originally numbered Ford relay of -F19B9345A2A, autozone did not even try to cross reference...;)
Autozone-11.99 = 3 mo. warranty (most people have these go out in a couple months)
Kragen/shuck's/checker - 21.99 = 1yr. warranty (niehoff PN# RY71)
Pepboy's-24.99 = 1 yr. warranty (borg/warner PN-R647 = the one I bought)

...I hope this will be usefull to those who have the same problem...Good Luck on your project...:D
T BARS,
Is there a relay switch in the power distribution box that might be the cause of a discharge problem? Like what is "EEC" for. I seem to be discharging the battery when any accessory is used. Battery and alternator both tested and reult is good. Charging system was tested by 2 different mechanics and just for the hell of it MURRY'S bench tested the battery = OK they also ran a charginging system check an= OK. Could it be a voltage regulator perhaps. None of the obvious problems like corrosion or low battery water level are a suspect. Means they are clean and levels are fine. I tested the starter relay with remote switch and it is good. I posted a thread last week about a "discharge problem" I read your thread with pictures and my relays are in the "P.D.B." I was very helpful in knowing where the relays are on '93 Explorer. Please, any suggestions. I am on a limited budget and don't want to be a "PARTS CHANGER",I have change the bad part and only that on.
Thanks,
WELDTRON

...If it were me, the first thing I would do is pull the Alt and have it bench tested..;)

...Charging test while everything is intact often leads to false information...Also, battery cables are very important as they may be corroded inside the sheathing...This is another common item when trying to resolve electrical problems on the first gens...

...Here is a bump for the guys having a similar problem right now...:D

This should help a lot of people out. Maybe a moderator could make this into a sticky?

...:scratch:...This might be useful, especially for the 91-92 X 's...

Link to this thread is in the useful thread section of the site..

~Mark

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

the info was very useful. i pulled the relay on my '91 and replaced with a motorcraft relay from the ford dealer at $28.50. i replaced the sending unit also and when i went to test it, nothing. i jumper wired the relay plug and it worked and started. when i replaced the relay it will not start, put the jumper wire back on and it runs and drives great. i can't figure this out.

Back