How to: - How To: Change A Fuel Pump Relay-91-94X | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

How to: How To: Change A Fuel Pump Relay-91-94X

Prefix for threads which are instructional.
...I am curious as to which relay you may have gotten...:scratch:..Were they able to use the numbers on the old relay for the match???

...The 91 has specific relays and you may have not gotten the correct one or, it simply could be a bad relay out of the box...:dunno:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

i am returning to the parts center to talk with them. the relay looks like a match to me, it fit perfect and he insisted that it was right. i will have to bite the bullet and try another relay, thinking that this one was bad from the box. it has to be a faulty relay for the jumper wire to work fine. maybe! thanks again for retuning the message.

...No problem...Do you have the old relay to match it with still???

...and be sure to update us on the outcome...;)

i brought the old relay with this time and he looked at it and said the same thing it was the right relay. he told me that ford only made a couple of relays for that year and the eec and the fuel pump were interchangable, he said it was the exact replacement for the fuel pump relay. it didn't work!! i tryed the jumper wire and it started and ran just fine. what the heck is going on here?? i live in the virgin islands so maybe the parts guys knowledge is not up to par?? i don't know it looks like the right relay but the exchange he gave me doesn't work either.

This one is another example of how the 91-92 models are different from the 93-94 models. Although the power distribution box is similar in size and location, the innards are laid out a bit differently.
picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

1991 Explorer Fuel System Electrical Diagram

picture.php

...For some reason it's not showing up...I'm on FF...:dunno:

Hmmm, I posted the jpg from my Explorer picture albumn. Let me try from photobucket...

...The photobucket picture is working just fine...Thanks for adding that...:biggthump

i am not able to post pics that i took of the procedure and the way i am testing with the wire. i thought maybe you could tell me i was jumping incorrectly or otherwise maybe spot something in my dist. box/relay panel that looked out of place. is there the possiblity a bad sensor is involved and i could be jumping that too? i looked at the diagram from fixxxer and there really isn't anything else involved. thanks

...Bumping for the new guys...:D

...Bumpin for the new guys...:D

91 Ranger issues

I just bought a 91 STX that is having a similar issue that I think someone has allready attempetd to fix there is 2 harnesses that plug into the relays are out and sitting in on the inner fender. so here is my issue when I have a relay in each of the plugs with the key off and the ground wire off the battery everything seems fine when I hook up the ground cable it triggers the relay and I can hear the fuel pump kick in. is this common as I have never had a truck prime the pump with the key off it also does a great job of killing the battery. I have had about 5 rangers in my driving career but I have never had this issue before and I am hoping someone can help me out Thanks in advance for any help that is given.

...Welcome here and I am glad you searched out and found this thread..:salute:

...My X would fire up the fuel pump a while after I had shut my X off...It gradually became more frequent and often, even while the keys were out..

...I actually caught it whirring a few minutes after I got out of the truck and I was getting a dead battery almost every morning...That is what led me to write this thread and replace the relay...After replacing the Relay that problem stopped...

...I have heard of this same thing happening to others too...I hope this helps...

..EDIT: Post 30 above has a wiring diagram for a 91 X or you could contact that member to see if he has one for your Ranger..

I did purchase a new relay form Advanced auto and it still seemed to do the same thing. what is the second relay in that location for the wiring digram didnt seem to display that. also thanks for the welcome I have been to the site before when I had an explorer for a few years but never had any issues with it!

...That wiring diagrahm was for fuel relay only...

..The other Relay is the EEC relay...You have not shared what motor you have but, Check out post #6 of this thread for your Ranger and look on the left side...
Dead Link Removed

it does have a 4.0 in it.

Just so I am making sure that I am reading this correctly with a new relay installed it should still prime the pump once when the battery is hooked up with the key off and then should stop and stop the dead battery issue I am having?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

...The new relay resolved my problem of it self priming..

...Since you do not know the history of your Ranger I would start with the new relay...It should not prime with out the key turned to the on position..

Back