How to: - How To: Change A Fuel Pump Relay-91-94X | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

How to: How To: Change A Fuel Pump Relay-91-94X

Prefix for threads which are instructional.
in the scmatic in an earlier post it looks like there is a hot power wire. and I got one more before I become a Pain! the ranger runs the old style lock assembly with the push rod that runs down the columb. what is the name of that switch as I think that is the one that I am having the issues with but I dont know the name of that switch I think that has gone bad causing the hot at all times issue that I am having

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

...You should post a thread of your own describing your problem, as this is a how to change a relay thread...;)

how to troubleshoot clucth not engaging 1995 ranger 4x4

...Use this and type in slave cylinder...;)

search_EF.gif

...aw heck, just go here...
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=214418&highlight=slave+cylinder

With the A9L and T4MO (basic 89-95 mustang mass air) computers the fuel relays were triggered (grounded) directly from the ECU. I had 2 different cars come in that had ECU transistors fried for the fuel pump. Customers didn't want to replace the ECU so other means were used for fuel pump switching.

After all other means have been exhausted, it is possible that a pinched harness or faulty ECU can cause fuel relay problems.

I was having a no start problem. I pulled all the relays and sprayed electronic cleaner on all of the connections, let it dry and blew it lightly with compressed air and its been over 1 year since the no start problem.

91 ranger custom 4.0L

I have a problem that appears to have the solution in front of me. my truck stopped working, (tried to start, wouldn't catch, chugged, and then died, now will only crank over) i'm wondering if this could be the relay too, or would it most likely be the pump itself, and if it is, is the pump located in the tank, or on the engine. i have the old OHV 4.0 and it's a RWD. any suggestions?

yes, it is a 1991 ford ranger custom. that's what the badge says on the side. i'v e got a 4.0 OHV engine, 5 speed manual, RWD.

...You might add Ranger under your name...

...The Ranger and Explorer are the same while a full size truck can have 2-3 fuel pumps..;)

..It could be the relay...The easiest way is turn the key to on, don't start, and listen for the fuel pump to whir...If no whir, listen for the relay to click...This will tell you that it is either your fuel pump, relay, or something related...Sometimes the EEC relay and even a bad battery or battery cables will cause the same problem...:dunno:

...There is a ton of info here that is free to search...:biggthump

Thanks!

ok! whoops on the "ranger" not being on the name! the info that you gave me was a big help actually. when i turn the key i get a click from under me and one from in the front area, but no whirring. i'm having no problem turning key, so the starter is alright i gather, so i'm gonna check the relay, and if that's not the problem i'm gonna try replacing the fuel pump. there's some other stuff i gotta check too, and i've been using this site for information and yes, there's awesome information here! it helped me out once already, and i hope that it's gonna help me resolve this issue!

thanks for the info! :biggthump

...The 5 prong one's will work as long as it's spec'd out for your vehicle...This assures the pin locations are proper and the 5th prong gets no power and sits in an empty hole...

...Just a heads up, there have been several complaints of early failure with the AZ Relay's...;)

...If you look under the box you will see a set of 3 plug-ins...these are actually plugged into your realays
fp_relay4.jpg

...on mine, I had to remove the plug in the back, directly under my fuel pump relay fuse...
fp_relay5.jpg

do you know what the other two relays are and the amperage of each relay?by chance:D

..One is the EEC and the other is..:scratch:..The alternator?

...Your Chiltons or Haynes manual should have the amp in the back of the book schematics..I think the fuel pump and EEC relays are like 30 amp..

..What is your situation?

yea i see them listed as 30.i just can find what that third is.im looking for the heater relay.page 12-48 list it as a 50 and says its in the power distribution box but i see one mounted to the fan motor also.im looking for a 50 amp relay that i can use for my radiator fans.there is two empty spots there so i was just going to snag two 50amps from the yard and plug them up there so there out the way and clean.

..Yea...I would do a little more research before I stuck 2- 50 amp relays into something that may be connected to wiring rated for lower amperage first before I caught the truck on fire..;)

..I'm not up on the the fan installs but whenever I'm in doubt, I either run a new sub panel (or connect to one I already installed, seperate of course) and wire according to the rating you need for the item(s) you are installing...:hammer:

had no there is two fans,50amp relay each.there will be circuit breakers also,just want a high amp relay for the hard fast starts.wiring and stuff i have and know just need a stock high amp relay that fits up in those spots.just seeing if you happened to know what that other relay was;)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Just an FYI, the relays shown in the image above are not connected to the power dist box in any way on my 1991 XLT. The simply lay around between the power dist box and the blower motor housing.

Back