How To Change Crank Shaft Position Sensor -- 97 5.0 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

How To Change Crank Shaft Position Sensor -- 97 5.0

mbruffey

Reaction score
City, State
MN, MN
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 5.0 AWD Eddie Bauer
Here's how I did it. My 97 5.0 has the tow package / tranny cooler which is kind of in the way.

(0) Prepare to get really gicky.
(1) Remove the serpentine belt (15mm on the tensioner)
(2) Remove the tensioner (2 @ 10mm). Go ahead; just do it now.
(3) Clean all the glop off the crank sensor that so you can actually see it. Yeah, you do have one . . . . It's more or less right behind the tensioner, which you just removed.
(4) Remove crank sensor bolts (2 @ 5/16"). They're right snug. I had to go to a 6-sided socket to prevent stripping the head of one. You can get them from beneath, but you have to go by feel for the upper, since you can't really see it. Just be sure to get a good bite, or, as I mentioned, you might strip the head.
(5) Now, from the top side, work the sensor wire retainer off the bolt and work the sensor up to where you can carefully disconnect, inspect, and clean it.

Slap a little silicone grease on the connector and reverse the process. Might want a bit of Threadlok Blue on the bolts, too.

**The most commonly available replacement (for the 5.0) seems to be made by Standard (PC325, or PC350[w/bracket]). Pics online look like they have Ford part numbers, so I'm guessing that Standard is actually the OEM for the part. I'd love to have confirmation of that . . . .

mbruffey

kw: CKP, crankshaft position sensor, crank position sensor

Replacing crankshaft sensor 99 Mounty 5.0

I just replaced mine by just removing the serpentine belt and feeling my way around. It turned out all right but if I had to do it again, I think I would pull the fan shroud and fan/clutch assembly first. That would give you plenty of room to work and room to inspect and cleanup everything up front. Live and learn! ;)

Back