and gain access to Reviews and Discussion of the 2016 and 2017 Ford Explorer Tech Tips, How to Articles, Off-Road Modifications and Events, Street Truck Mods and Events, and much more! Since 1996 our community has covered every aspect of the Ford Explorer, Ford Ranger and all vehicles based on this platform.

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

How to disable the CHECK ENGINE light?

Discussion in 'Under the Hood' started by RandyL712, March 10, 2003.

• Searches ExplorerForum.com
    1. RandyL712

RandyL712 Member

City, State:
      Aurora, Colorado
      Year and Model:
      1995 Explorer 2D
      I want to turn this light off, it's driving me crazy and I may never spend the $$ to get it fixed. What's the quickest way to turn it off?

95 Explorer 2-Door Automatic

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 a year

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose and fix problems yourself, and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, add your own profile photo, upload photo attachments directly to your posts and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

to hide adverts.
    3. Rob_B

Rob_B Active Member

City, State:
      Waterloo, Iowa
      Year and Model:
      '99 F-150
      The quickest way is to disconnect your battery for a few minutes. You could also go to Auto-Zone, they'll read the code, tell u what's wrong and delete it for you for free. That's the best thing to do.

Edit: You have a 95, and that's a different computer than in my 98, so I'm not sure if disconnecting the battery will still work for sure, don't know why not. Auto-Zone will still read and get rid of it for you.

4. RandyL712

RandyL712 Member

City, State:
      Aurora, Colorado
      Year and Model:
      1995 Explorer 2D
      Umm, that's not what I'm asking :D

I'm asking how to permanently just turn off the CHECK ENGINE light on the dash.

5. Rob_B

Rob_B Active Member

City, State:
      Waterloo, Iowa
      Year and Model:
      '99 F-150
      The light come's from an error the computer has found. I don't know of any bulb to disconnect if that's what you are asking. Gotta get the computer to forget about the error.

6. RandyL712

RandyL712 Member

City, State:
      Aurora, Colorado
      Year and Model:
      1995 Explorer 2D
      I know the error and don't want to pay $400 to replace the parts that it wants me to. Without being rude (And I apologize if this seems rude) please post if you know how to disable the CHECK ENGINE light on the dash - I'm not looking for assistance in resolving the problem causing the light to show up :)

7. TPLYNCH

TPLYNCH Well-Known Member

City, State:
      Brewster, NY
      Year and Model:
      1999 XLS
      Take apart the dash and pull the little bulb or put a piece of black electical tape over on the guage cluster.