How To: Fix the Door Ajar Problem | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

How To: Fix the Door Ajar Problem

ya, I think so too. Well I'm stuck then. I wd-40'd all the door pins and I do not see any broken wires except the one shown. I dont get the door ajar light but I have my alarm going off at night. Once in a great while I get the doors locking and unlocking as I'm driving down the road, but that has been months since that has happened.
I tried setting the locks with the remote and opening each door one at a time and the alarm went off with each try.
Any other ideas or do I take it to ford?

thanks for the help!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Call me crazy but that looks aftermarket. Like someone was grabbing ground. Just my thought.

- Rondo

you are correct that wire someone else installed, you can see the cheap yellow crimp connector.

ya, I think so too. Well I'm stuck then. I wd-40'd all the door pins and I do not see any broken wires except the one shown. I dont get the door ajar light but I have my alarm going off at night. Once in a great while I get the doors locking and unlocking as I'm driving down the road, but that has been months since that has happened.
I tried setting the locks with the remote and opening each door one at a time and the alarm went off with each try.
Any other ideas or do I take it to ford?

thanks for the help!

aftermarket alarm?

probably the alarm is too sensitive or just took a crap and died. or poorly installed.

no, not aftermarket, just the factory theft protection. I'm getting the horn honking and lights flashing in the middle of the night. Thats whats weird about the broken wire, there is nothing aftermarket installed so it doesnt make sense. But I guess you never know. I did buy it used. But there is no evidence of anything ever installed on it. Stock stereo and everything.

no, not aftermarket, just the factory theft protection. I'm getting the horn honking and lights flashing in the middle of the night. Thats whats weird about the broken wire, there is nothing aftermarket installed so it doesnt make sense. But I guess you never know. I did buy it used. But there is no evidence of anything ever installed on it. Stock stereo and everything.

02 explorer?

Great writeup! Was looking for something similar a couple years ago when I had the same problem except for me it turned out to be a damaged wire on the tailgate instead of a door. Did the same thing back there and it's been fixed ever since.

tailgate wiring? I checked the door pins back there but never looked at wiring. Thanks, I'll check it.

man i'm drawing a blank i even slep on this, its been a while and since the perimeter is so rare on the explorers that for the life of me i cant remember this.

strange part is its bugging me, cause every 02 i saw with perimeter always had this happen.

gonna tear apart the gate, if that doesnt do it I'll take it to the shop. I'll let you know my findings, thanks!

Sorry about the delay, nothing looked broken in the back hatch, so I replaced the battery just for kicks. Havent had the alarm go off since. I read that it wasnt the battery that sets off alarms so I was holding out against my first instincts, but it looks like that was it. Or all the door pin lube has worked its way in. I guess I'll see in a month or so.

BigRondo I wanted to take a minute to say thank you to you for your service to our country. Truly appreciated.

BigRondo I wanted to take a minute to say thank you to you for your service to our country. Truly appreciated.

my1zamboni, you are welcome. Glad to to it! What part of Maine are you from? I was born in Portland and have a bunch of family still in that area! :salute:

I actually live in South Berwick (just over the NH line right near Kittery) we are about 40 minutes from Portland.
I like to try and say thank you for service I have a brother 17 years in the Navy (P3 pilot now on his way to Hawaii after being at Brunswick for 3 years so their family will be missed) and a brother in law and his brother both Marine snipers now one is NH Guard and the other leaves for Ft. Benning (with my sister) in about a month. So this is something that hits closer to home having to live with it as you know.
Thank you again.

I actually live in South Berwick (just over the NH line right near Kittery) we are about 40 minutes from Portland.
I like to try and say thank you for service I have a brother 17 years in the Navy (P3 pilot now on his way to Hawaii after being at Brunswick for 3 years so their family will be missed) and a brother in law and his brother both Marine snipers now one is NH Guard and the other leaves for Ft. Benning (with my sister) in about a month. So this is something that hits closer to home having to live with it as you know.
Thank you again.

You are welcome. Very familiar with Kittery and, of course, the factory outlets. Was stationed in Hawaii with a guy from Berwick. Tried to get duty at Brunswick but was denied. I wish all your family the best. :salute:

I want to thank everyone for their input on this problem. I had all these symptoms and attempted this fix this morning. It took me about 1 hour and found both wires that are described were broken. Ran a "jump" in the broken lines and all back to normal.
Anyone have any guesses why these are the only 2 wires that seem to break in there with all the wires that are actually in there? Just wondering.

Anyone in NJ have a ford scan tool?
I heard that, that will tell you what door pin is broken or door pin wire is broken.
I've had this problem on & off for a while. I used WD-40, it worked for a lil while till it rained or when I washed the truck then it seemed to come back.
The door ajar light is always on & I get the beeping that a door is open constantly. The alarm has been going off time to time so I just lock the doors & no alarm.
Well I was wondering if anyone here is from NJ who owns a scan tool so I can figure exactly where the problem is.

I want to thank everyone for their input on this problem. I had all these symptoms and attempted this fix this morning. It took me about 1 hour and found both wires that are described were broken. Ran a "jump" in the broken lines and all back to normal.
Anyone have any guesses why these are the only 2 wires that seem to break in there with all the wires that are actually in there? Just wondering.

Glad you got it fixed! :biggthump Others have had different wires break. The ground wires seem to be the most common for breakage. I don't know why. :dunno:

That's it!

Just fixed mine. Exact same wire. The wire is AWG 14g though. I used two orange wire nuts, 4 zip-ties, electrical tape over the wire nuts, and about 10" of 14g wire. I pushed one of the splices inside the main door jam frame and the other inside the door. I zip-tied the bundle of wires instead of re-taping.
Does any one know why it's the black wire that breaks but not the others?

Great info, Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Just fixed mine. Exact same wire. The wire is AWG 14g though. I used two orange wire nuts, 4 zip-ties, electrical tape over the wire nuts, and about 10" of 14g wire. I pushed one of the splices inside the main door jam frame and the other inside the door. I zip-tied the bundle of wires instead of re-taping.
Does any one know why it's the black wire that breaks but not the others?

Great info, Thanks

See the post above yours ^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Back