How To: Fix the Door Ajar Problem | Page 4 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

How To: Fix the Door Ajar Problem

I guess when ford put it in they didnt leave enough slack for the wire. thats why its the most common one to break cause its the shortest in the bundle and major stress on it would cause it to snap.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I guess when ford put it in they didnt leave enough slack for the wire. thats why its the most common one to break cause its the shortest in the bundle and major stress on it would cause it to snap.

I know that when I fixed mine the insulation on the wire was very brittle. :dunno:

First time poster here.

On my way home tonight my open door light would not go off. Then the interior light started going crazy and the doors locking and unlocking. I opened and slammed my door and it away.

Got home and alarm keeps going off every hour or so. Door shows open.

Got online and found this site. Tried the WD40 trick and all is well.

Thanks guys for the spot on help!

the wire imo is too thick for whats its used for, and just breaks, nothing with length, more with size.

I cut out about a 4" section from that ground wire. Mine was severed clean through. Then, I took about 18" of 14ag and twisted it around the handle of a screwdriver, creating a coil for some strain relief (think old-school telephone handset cord). Attached everything nice and waterproof, buttoned it up, and voila! After seeing this thread, it took me all of 20 minutes to do the fix.

Well my passenger door has been hard to open for a month or 2 now and tonite my door ajar light wouldnt go off, so i slammed the passenger door and it went off but came on a second later so i tried again same thing, light goes out 10 second after driving but door ajar light is constantly on.I get home and i couldnt get the lights to turn off and the double honk when the doors not closed when i use the remote.
can i use some silicone lubricant spray instead of wd 40? or does wd 40 have some electrical cleaning additives?

The best thing to do is just fix it with the right part. I tried the wd 40 & the silicone spray & finally decided just fix the damn thing. It only took me about 30 or 40 min to take the door pannel off & take the part off & replace it. The part only cost me 15.00 from the Ford dealer.
Yes the wd 40 will work but for me it only lasted like a few days or till the truck got washed or it rained.

Fixed mine tonight PLUS found a broken wire that controlled my passenger side view mirror up and down motion. Now that works too! Thanks!

Door Agar Problem

This is my first reply after recently joining the group. Thanks to all of you on this thread, as your comments helped solve the problem on my 2002 Mounty (62,000 miles). Occasionally, the Door Ajar message came on until finally it stayed on - and the interior overhead lights would not turn off when the vehicle was started. I used WD40 on the door latches, and after I squirted the right passenger door, the problem was fully resolved. What great advice. I never would have guessed that something so simple could solve the problem!

Yes the WD40 works, it worked for me for a little while.
Id suguest, when it gets warmer out, just change the part the correct way.
It will still fail with the WWD40, thats just a temp fix. When it rains or when you go thru the carwash like I did when I used the WD40 method, it was sure for the light to come back on & the beeping sound and all!

Gotta thank synyster again for the awesome write-up. :thumbsup::thumbsup: Just fixed the other ground wire. All 4 windows quit working. Since I had already fixed the smaller ground wire with the help of this thread, fixing this one was a breeze!

I salute you sir! :salute:

Gotta thank synyster again for the awesome write-up. :thumbsup::thumbsup: Just fixed the other ground wire. All 4 windows quit working. Since I had already fixed the smaller ground wire with the help of this thread, fixing this one was a breeze!

I salute you sir! :salute:

Anything to help out a fellow enthusiast..... glad to know that even something as little as this goes noticed. :thumbsup:

weather is nice going to do mine now /broken wire i think wd40 did nothing/

:)all done wish i done this 2 years ago/ yup broken wire, u guys are awesome thanks

1 wire

:usa:driver heated mirror not working, lock unlock switch, power seat keeps blowing fuses, reardfrost n light goes on, ajar warning. all symptoms fixed. 1 wire

wonder if it fixed my broken right rear spring to? huh

Anything to help out a fellow enthusiast..... glad to know that even something as little as this goes noticed. :thumbsup:

Oh this thread is noticed. I have referred a whole bunch of people to this thread.

I thank you again sir. :salute:

Wow... I can't believe you are having the EXACT same issues with yours. I thought our Eddie Bauer edition was possessed. It's all I can do to not drive off the road and hit something. The door locks NON STOP locking and unlocking as I drive down the road, (I've noticed it also gets triggered when I press on the brakes) the chiming of the "door ajar" sound or it will just constantly beep, the dome lights flicking on and off like a club... the cherry on top is the car alarm at random, but mostly in the dead middle of the night. Our neighbors especially love that. Any other ideas of what to do are welcomed... I'll try anything at this point...

Well, I get the "door ajar" light coming on and flashing (well after the doors have all been closed. Maybe 10-20 seconds afterwards), accompanied by the "chimes or dings" sounding off, overhead dome light flickering on and off and the power door locks opening and closing rapidly. Again, all of this is going of or happening at the same time, but only if someone opens and closes the front passenger door. If I'm by myself and open no other doors or any other door (including the rear door and door/glass hatch and accept the front passenger door, nothing happens. It all stops after I drive a mile or so, but occaisionally returns maybe one time and is then ok. Also, if this is happening alot in any instant, when I go to arm the anti theft system, it sounds off immediately. I wait a minute and try again, it usuallu arms. Them almost always during the middle of the night exclusively, it sounds off several hours later.

I just assumed, but could be wrong. That's why I asked if it matters what door to open and check or if I should just check both? Thanks for your inquiry. I look forward to any responses.

Any chance a broken wire in another door other than the Driver's door would cause this issue? I checked all the wires in the Driver's door and didn't find anything broken. Going to check the Passenger door next once the weather warms up a bit.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Had this door ajar issue for about a year or two. Sprayed some WD-40 like somebody said and all is well. You gotta love this site for all it's useful information and knowledgeable members.

Back